cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Testing

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

I know article is mainly an advertisement for Freedom Mobile (do bear in mind while reading it how few people are actually using it and it's geographic limitations)

The more interesting thing to me is the wide discrepancy between Bell & Telus (Public) LTE results

I still have some suspicions about the quality of testing but it is interesting to see

(oh yeah and spoiler; Bellus of course wins the LTE testing results)

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/01/18/freedom-mobile-lte-network-toronto-review-canada-speed/

edit - yeah testing is fraud, check out the areas tested, they obviously were cherry picked for specific results

9 REPLIES 9

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

@kav2001c. Thanks for bring up the article.
One thing that comes to mind. PM's really screwed their big reveal of LTE; big time.
The speed tests really do sound fishy; doing some tests at 11pm or in the middle of no where. Anyway the locations sound as most of people said very handpicked or more like that's the only place where we actually have good connection. The fact that LTE is only available in few cities now and only available on 2 devices is a big no for a lot of people. Also what's the point of having LTE if you aren't even covered well in your home.
Now to make it clear I did love; scrab that ...I did like them since I am a poor student XD; but come on in the last months their network have become really really bad; which made me look for alternatives ; thank God PM was around

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I admit I didn't read the entire article, but I noticed that Freedom Mobile is not doing themselves any favours by releasing these types of promo articles/advertising.

First issue is this. They tout a "traffic-free" network. Yet, on two of their graphs, they placed third out of four for average download speeds only besting Rogers. So you can imagine what the speeds would be like when they eventually transition from a "traffic-free" network to a "traffic-laden" network.

Secondly, the max. speed test indicates over 100Mbps down. Now, I know most of you understand that these are best case scenario's and don't expect to get these numbers forever, but some laymen is going to see this and literally expect to get these download speeds all the time everywhere. And when they realize they can only get 45Mbps max or less, they won't be saying rosy things about Freedom Mobile.

Lastly, band 66 will still suffer from the same penetration issues that plagues current Freedom Mobile customers in basements, elevators, etc. etc. Similar frequencies, similar issues.

The only thing I took away from this article is that there's nothing special about FM's LTE network and that Bell is the fastest (if that mattered to me).

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

"This MobileSyrup post brought to you by Freedom Mobile".  Lol.  Could this be a more obvious paid advertisement?

I am very curious how locations were chosen as well since the specific locations tested contradict their claimed test methodology as well as being odd to most casual observers

@sheytoon

@sheytoon wrote:
@echf
Interesting indeed. I wonder how they set up their tests, chose their locations, which CA band combinations their test phones supported, and whether they verified they were on LTE before starting all tests. Some of those results make me suspect 3G instead of LTE. Rogers is definitely not that slow, especially in the GTA.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@echf I am not surprised by their Rogers results. It's jus awful in some places.

And on Freedom's numbers... yes that's whta it feels like when you're the only one using the network. Wait until they get a few users using it. I used to be able to get 12mbps on WIND's 3G in the early days.. when I got the tower all to myself.

@echf
Interesting indeed. I wonder how they set up their tests, chose their locations, which CA band combinations their test phones supported, and whether they verified they were on LTE before starting all tests. Some of those results make me suspect 3G instead of LTE. Rogers is definitely not that slow, especially in the GTA.

echf

@sheytoon That's some interesting result! 

I was surprised Rogers' performance is so bad! Only getting 3G-like quality (30ms, 20 Down, 10 Up)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I read that mobile syrup article earlier this evening.  Data usage is important to me.  However, speed not so much.  At the end of the day, we are talking about using a handful of gigs of data every month.  My home internet goes through that much data in an hour during the evening.  Why does my cellular speed need to be as fast or faster than home internet? 

I have done a few speed tests here and there since joining Public Mobile.  The numbers that I have gotten are underwhelming compared to the numbers in the mobile syrup article.  That said, I am virtually 100% happy with data performance for browsing, downloads, social media, and data calls on my phone.  If data performance was better in speed tests, I would take away the word virtually in my previous sentence.  Lucky, I don't waste my time over speed tests.

dearmusic

So basically Telus' ping sucks in the east?

Is it because Telus is a west coast company?

Need Help? Let's chat.