cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kudo Texts

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi 

Not sure if myth. A rep at the mobile store advised new Public Mobile Customers get texts with offers from Kudo promotions to switch just after being a customer only after a few weeks as Telus prefers to have you switch to a monthly plan différent then the Public Mobile charge your card momthly payment system.

Not sure why all the effort to get PM customers to switch when they own both divisions anyway.

Thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

they make alot more from koodo than PM, dont let the "free" fool u, they make much more on the koodo side and im sure thats a motivating factor. If they offered me a sweet deal, ill have to think about it but they havent....the deals ended around fall i believe

@slash407 while I agree that there is no such thing as "free" phones any more (you pay for it in a tab which equates to an interest-free loan, plus sometimes an upfront downpayment), it's not necessarily true that Telus will make more from you as a Koodo customer than a PM customer.  It depends on the plan you have/had at PM, the plan they offer you at Koodo, and your usage.  If you get an equivalent monthly cost and never go into overages or need to buy any add-ons or make use of international Easy Roam roaming and never buy a phone through them, well, they're going to make about the same from you as they would have if you'd stayed a PM customer.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never seen any offers since I got here last May. I came FROM Telus.

@Anonymous I am going to say this in a factual and in no means judgemental or derogatory way: I'm guessing this is due to the plan you're on.  I don't believe the $10 plan has been targetted in any migraiton offers to date, which is not to say that it never will, I just don't think it has so far.  It might be that they struggle to come up with a plan they think will be compelling to offer at or near that price point with Koodo; also, given that price point, I don't think it would qualify even for a small tab so they'd kind of have to upsell you to make it enticing.  I'm guessing they are assuming that people on the $10 plan are either very tight budgetted or won't care to pay more to get more as their needs are super simple.  All of this is my conjecture, but I believe that's what up there.

@Patrick_R okay I'll bite and assume this thread is sincere.  Some people have gotten the offers very quickly after signing up for PM, whereas some have been around a very long time and never gotten one.  These have all ben targeted campaigns, trying to entice people on specific plans.  There are other intangibles to moving to Koodo that I don't think have been mentioned in responses here yet (though many many threads have discussed these things over the past couple of years).  Off the top of my head:

- Access to international roaming beyong just the USA

- Access to VoLTE (if you have a compatible device on Koodo's list, purchased from Koodo)

- Access to VoWiFi (if you have a compatible device on Koodo's list, purchased from Koodo)

- Access to Visual Voicemail (add-on at an additional cost)

- All plans are full-speed LTE without any throttling (unlike PM where many plans are throttled to 3Mbps)

- Access to a phone number you can call to talk to someone (after waiting a long time--though you can also schedule a call-back)

Whether any/all of these things are of any value to you of course is an indvidiual decision.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patrick_R wrote:

Guess you dont talk text or use data much? 

Nice that there are plans to suit diffenent needs

I've gone over the 50 minutes a couple times. That's what the ld add-on is for. I've had the same one since September iirc. Texting...well there are work arounds. Data...just when I'm out and about not able to find a wifi. I don't do any of that navigating stuff. I know my way around. If it's a new place, I'll get an idea looking at google maps beforehand and then figure it out when I get there.

Patrick_R

Anyone gone to Kudo and comeback to PM?

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Here's an example: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/public-mobile-50-8gb-migration-plan/

Telus wants a way to secure customers (even if it's a year/two) to provide them with hardware etc.  Securing customers on a tab/contract provides Telus with a better estimate of current & future revenue from a particular business division.

Patrick_R

Guess you dont talk text or use data much? 

Nice that there are plans to suit diffenent needs

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patrick_R wrote:

So I guess some would switch to get a lower buy out or free phone on a plan but seems you save more on PM.

Before I got here I looked really hard at the $15 texting and then get add-ons for voice and data. I didn't understand the concept of rollover add-ons at the time and then I found this place.

The real score here are all the various rewards on offer that no one else has as many of. Some have referrals. Some have autopay for discounts or bonuses. But definitely not the community or loyalty or so many. So here I am. I've paid for one ld add-on and a few data add-ons but I haven't paid a monthly fee for several months now. I started out on the $35 plan and changed down to the $10 plan. That $35 plan was half of what I was paying before. But I really examined my actual usage and with a life change...I barely use the phone.

Patrick_R

I enjoy having the 8 gb when using the gps on my phone. Nice to have the data also in areas with no wifi access.

Patrick_R

So I guess some would switch to get a lower buy out or free phone on a plan but seems you save more on PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi 

Not sure if myth. A rep at the mobile store advised new Public Mobile Customers get texts with offers from Kudo promotions to switch just after being a customer only after a few weeks as Telus prefers to have you switch to a monthly plan différent then the Public Mobile charge your card momthly payment system.

Not sure why all the effort to get PM customers to switch when they own both divisions anyway.

Thoughts?

I've never seen any offers since I got here last May. I came FROM Telus.

Because post-paid is more lucrative that they can help themselves to charging you overages.

Pre-paid...that's all you get.

Even still...do we all just feel better having 8gb available to us or do we really actually use it. You still pay for it though. But I don't. Same with unlimited calling...do we really need unlimited or could we get by with 1000 minutes? 100? Texting too.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@Patrick_R I've heard of some people getting from Koodo. I think it's at least partly because Koodo sells phone, and Public Mobile doesn't, so they get more by charging the fees for the phone on top on the plan.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Prepaid and Postpaid work differently. They always offered Koodo postpaid plans and yes there is a reason for it. Keeping customers on Public Mobile, they will earn the same or less payment due to rewards system. Whereas on Koodo, they offer more for more $. They offer different features and allow you to purchase a device on a tab. This generates extra revenue from Koodo. 

Need Help? Let's chat.