cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo representatives apparently following up on the offer text

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ok, I got a "follow up" call from a person called Amanda who wanted to know if I want to switch to the Koodo offer I got via text.

Koodo must be really desperate.

I will stay with PM until the very end. Even if the end is near....

46 REPLIES 46

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@koimr1, Hello! Thank you for your question however, there are no other information to give besides what has already been given previously. If ever there is anything more, we will let our customers know about it. Thank you for your understanding! 

koimr1

@CS_Agentwrote:

Hello everyone! Hope your week-end is going well so far. Just wanted to repeat again what has already been said before, Public Mobile is not closing and if you ever hear from Koodo agents that it is, please simply disregard it. Thank you! 

That's excellent and I'm sure we all appreciate this response. 🙂

However - do you have an answer for the more-relevant question: What's going to happen to the Fall 2016 Promo plans?

I know the rate increase was reversed but still, and I'm repeating what everyone already knows here - trying to raise rates by 25% while pushing to move to a sister brand on a roughly-comparable plan has definitely sent a very non-subtle message that PM doesn't want this plan around and that we should still expect changes to this in the future.

I feel like the new strategy is to whittle down users to Koodo until there's just not very many Promo users left and then change/remove that plan so the outcry won't be as large.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@CS_Agentwrote:

Hello everyone! Hope your week-end is going well so far. Just wanted to repeat again what has already been said before, Public Mobile is not closing and if you ever hear from Koodo agents that it is, please simply disregard it. Thank you! 

Thanks! I actually think PM model is the future. Many thousands of subscribers... No retail stores/employees to pay for.. No phone/Facebook/email customer service... Only the mods and oracles on here who do a great job. And the community answers questions.

Many companies realizing that having retail stores is expensive and sticking online is probably better (ask amazon)

sure less ARPU but the "net" profit must be just as good or better. 

kingstonian
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the reassurance, my wife and I don't plan on switching any time soon.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

This kind of rumor will happen once a while, It will never stop, either true or not. 

Also publi cmobile can stop operating suddenly, only the management level will know. 

@darthdillwrote:

The Koodo rep that cold called me told me PM is closing in the next few months and that I better take advantage of the offer while I can. Can you confirm? I'd like to stay with PM and am hoping the call centre agent was just trying to use fear to get commission (which I don't appreciate and totally turns me off from Koodo).

Near the top of this thread:

@Mary_Mwrote:

Hey @ute1978,

thanks for taking the time to share this occurrence!

Once again, I want to assure you that we're not closing and the end for PM is nowhere near 🙂 I'll also inquire about these phone calls - it's possible that they just want to be sure whoever wants the offer, gets it!

Cheers,

Mary

You're not the first person who's heard this "rumour" from a Koodo rep.  I suspect some of them will say/promise almost anything to earn their commission and close the sale, but that's just me, although it's not the first time Koodo has aimed scare-tactics at PM customers.  It has been obvious that Koodo and PM haven't been communicating and coordinating very well in other important details, and many Koodo reps have been woefully uninformed/unprepared for this promo/migration, so I find it dubious that a few Koodo reps would possess special inside knowledge which can't be confirmed (but can be denied) elsewhere.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darthdill, The moderators have already chimed in and indicated that there are no plans to shut down Public mobile.  Unfortunately I can't point you to a specific post/thread, but the message has been given in the past week or so.

darthdill
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Mary_M The Koodo rep that cold called me told me PM is closing in the next few months and that I better take advantage of the offer while I can. Can you confirm? I'd like to stay with PM and am hoping the call centre agent was just trying to use fear to get commission (which I don't appreciate and totally turns me off from Koodo).

Thanks!

brainfreze
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Regardless of whether or not an offer would have been sent out to a select few, though I find that hugely unlikely considering there was a mass exodus of users to their sister carrier, there was no notification that there was going to be an increase to the plan I am on.

I believe also there have been 2 separate messages sent out: one from PM that explained what was happening in the near future and then an offer to migrate, and then one directly from Koodo offering something slightly different, but ultimately serving the same purpose.

@brainfreze

"Apparently you just don't fit the profile or just don't subscribe to one of the plans Telus has been targeting."

This could be as simple as not living within a fixed area, not having enough Koodo stores within a certain radius of your postal code, not consistently consuming certain thresholds on your monthly data, not talking enough on your phone within certain times or areas every month, not having enough credit score, having too much credit score, etc.

Telus (or, more precisely, the information-collection agencies they pay) profiles and measures us on all sorts of impersonal parameters - purely financial parameters, based on somebody's statistical analysis - and not even in terms of human-judgement, but in terms more like search parameters for database queries.

brainfreze

I am currently subscribed to the fall 2017 120/12 plan, so I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

@brainfrezewrote:

Strangely, I have not yet received any notifications personally on any migration offers or service plan increases except through these forums or other online sources. 

I wonder how that would impact on people who don't even go online to discover these changes?

Apparently you just don't fit the profile or just don't subscribe to one of the plans Telus has been targeting.  Many people came looking for information online (sometimes for the first time) after receiving text messages ... while the looming "limited-time offer" deadline and $100 bribe also added a sense of urgency which caused many to impulsively grab at the offer without any consideration, they didn't bother to check online at all until afterwards, sometimes regretfully.

torontokris

@brainfrezewrote:

Strangely, I have not yet received any notifications personally on any migration offers or service plan increases except through these forums or other online sources. 

I wonder how that would impact on people who don't even go online to discover these changes?

Maybe that's why they are calling as well

brainfreze

@torontokriswrote:

@will13amwrote:

@Optibluewrote:

The future does appear friendlier at Koodo at this point, no pun intended.

Koodo's higher price point (ARPU) appears friendlier to shareholders. Doesnt mean the future appears friendlier to all of us PM customers.

Who cares what the comparison of ARPU is between Koodo and Public Mobile.  Fact is the base plans are the same price, Koodo offers an extra gig of data, access to hardware, Canada wide calling.  Public Mobile offers call forwarding, better US roaming fees, and recurring rewards.  Unless the rewards are really large, I would say the two are very similar.  My comment about the future being potentially friendlier at Koodo is because the spectre of a price increase in the not too distant future remain.  

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@MVPwrote:
And after all, Koodo still has overhead costs for kiosks/sales-phone agents etc., while PM  has none of that. So why would Koodo have a "friendlier future", i.e. lower price point?  

Koodo has long-term Tabs/contracts while PM does not.

The big corps like stability, the ability to extrapolate all their predicted revenues across quarterly and annual terms - the same quarterly and annual terms used in those public reports linked above, and in their shareholder reports, and in their accounting reports.  So big corps like "locking" happy customers into annual sign-up terms, they don't like mercenary customers who might take their business elsewhere whenever they choose.

Don't dismiss the massive revenues generated by device sales.  Every cellular customer needs a cellular device, and if every one of them can be motivated to upgrade/replace that device every two years then ~10M customers at ~$100 per device equates to something around ~$500M per year - that's just a raw ignorant estimate, but it's still enough to hint at what is literally a billion-dollar industry.  Koodo (with Tabs) is an entry point to tap this revenue, PM (with BYOD purchased from anyone and anywhere) is a lost opportunity to tap this revenue.

torontokris

@will13amwrote:

@Optibluewrote:

Koodo's higher price point (ARPU) appears friendlier to shareholders. Doesnt mean the future appears friendlier to all of us PM customers.

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13amwrote:

@Optibluewrote:

Yeah, the push to koodo is real. True Any carrier can raise their prices at 30 days notice but it seems like it'll happen at PM sooner than you'd think. Koodo is slightly more since no more referrals and loyalty discounts, but a $10 raise someday can cancel all savings. At any rate, everyone in my circle of friends has exodus'd on over to koodo until the next best thing comes. When freedom mobile powers up their ground penetrating band later this year, $50 for 10gb will be a new norm price amongst the big 3/4. Until then, koodo or PM won't really matter.

If you look at the current plans PM has been pushing lately (3G data plans) it's as if PM isn't even trying anymore

I do not think so. Reference to Freedom Mobile's  "future good intentions" in the post you were  replying to raises  a suspicion  in the first place.

And after all, Koodo still has overhead costs for kiosks/sales-phone agents etc., while PM  has none of that. So why would Koodo have a "friendlier future", i.e. lower price point? 

MVP

@srlawrenwrote:

@smp99 some of us are still thinking about it before the offer expires on the 15th.  Personally I didn't let the higher referral bonus sway me becuse I can pretty much gain most/all of that back in less lost prepaid days by waiting.  Gives me more time to really decide.

😉 Let us see if they extend the Koddo offer to 90+days after Feb 15 (was is the day it was introduced?), till May 15 or so ...

MVP

@MEU_21wrote:

4. Providing an extra GB  costs Telus an extra ~$0.10/month at Koodo, if not less, (the average revenue per GB for telecom is ~$20+). See Table 5.5.7 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/policymonitoring/2017/cmr5.htm

More like $25+ Wow! Isn't that a mega-profit?

What is the "wholesale" or "production cost" price of 1GB of data per month? 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@smp99 some of us are still thinking about it before the offer expires on the 15th.  Personally I didn't let the higher referral bonus sway me becuse I can pretty much gain most/all of that back in less lost prepaid days by waiting.  Gives me more time to really decide.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smp99

Well, now that the $50 referral bonus is over I expect the wave to subside now for the next little bit. 

So far, none-zip-zero of my referrals have left. My daughter went to Walmart to switch over and take advantage of the Walmart gift card on a new phone, but they were out of stock so she just left. We all now have another 2 weeks to mull this over. The longer I procastinate, the more I just want to leave things the way they are.

I really think the loyalty reward thing kicked in big time for everyone on this plan at the same time and that may have caught some by surprise as to the size of it.

Civic_E

@MoreYummywrote:

@Civic_E They might give you vacation once a while in future. Smiley Happy

@MoreYummyBetter be a paid vacation!!! 😛

@Civic_E They might give you vacation once a while in future. Smiley Happy

Civic_E

@ute1978wrote:

Ok, I got a "follow up" call from a person called Amanda who wanted to know if I want to switch to the Koodo offer I got via text.

Koodo must be really desperate.

I will stay with PM until the very end. Even if the end is near....

I took a little vacation from PM(went to Koodo for a day) and returned back. I hope PM doesn't force me to take vacation again. Then I will never return back!

@Optibluewrote:

Yeah, the push to koodo is real. True Any carrier can raise their prices at 30 days notice but it seems like it'll happen at PM sooner than you'd think. Koodo is slightly more since no more referrals and loyalty discounts, but a $10 raise someday can cancel all savings. At any rate, everyone in my circle of friends has exodus'd on over to koodo until the next best thing comes. When freedom mobile powers up their ground penetrating band later this year, $50 for 10gb will be a new norm price amongst the big 3/4. Until then, koodo or PM won't really matter.

If you look at the current plans PM has been pushing lately (3G data plans) it's as if PM isn't even trying anymore

@makkahn28wrote:

Koodo MUST Stop this Text Migration Nonsense.

They're making a Mockery out of it, as well as insulting the Consumer's Intelligence to the fact

All customers have the option to opt out of text updates.  If you don't like receiving nonsense, opt out of the updates.  All of us except you like receiving updates so that we know what is going on.  The offers are good for consumers as we have choice.  Would you like to receive a $10 per month increase with no friendly offer to migrate?  I guess so based on your feedback. 

@MEU_21wrote:

The big push is VERY easy to explain.

1. Pre-paid to post-paid with permanent minimum ARPU stabilized to $40. (Which is still lower than the $67.27 they would probably like) 

https://www.telus.com/en/about/news-and-events/media-releases/telus-reports-strong-results-for-fourt...

2. Your bill at Koodo will no longer get rewards from Autopay, Loyalty, & Community.

3. Those that have moved, no longer cost rewards. So for every 500 moved (with 1 year loyalty, an average of 2 referals, autopay, and 2 community points), it saves Telus (500x(1+2+2+2)=$3,500/m). Or about $42,000/year. These saving go up by $6,000 every year for loyalty. These also won't skew the ARPU anymore.

4. Providing an extra GB  costs Telus an extra ~$0.10/month at Koodo, if not less, (the average revenue per GB for telecom is ~$20+). See Table 5.5.7 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/reports/policymonitoring/2017/cmr5.htm

5. Easier to tack on extra fees and rates at Koodo. They will also be able to better market their devices and increase profits (after geting discounts on larger bulk purchases)

6. It may allow PM to make changes with less resistance for the next push for increase for those on the 12GB/$120 promo. I don't know how many left for Koodo, so if my voice is echoing here, I might just run the other direction... or they may just leave me alone. 🙂

7. The Koodo guys are probably on commission to get us over there.

just some of the points...etc.

I fixed the math

Tens of thousand dollars doesn't even amount to round off error in the grand scheme of things.  $67 ARPU with customer base on post paid approaching 10,000,000 means ~ $670,000,000 revenue per month!  It is indisputable that getting people on post paid improves ARPU.  That is what all historical carrier data shows.  This is why the desire is there to get people on post paid.  The Koodo reps do get a nominal commission per sign up. 

Optiblue
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Need Help? Let's chat.