cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo now has an Extra Large tab

bryclops
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was browsing the Koodo website and noticed that there is now an Extra Large tab.

Previously there were only small, medium and large.

7 REPLIES 7

@srlawren wrote:

@Korth thing is, for people that can't afford the expensive phone up-front, can they afford the outrageous monthly cost of the $80 minimum plan requirement PLUS $30 on top of that for the tab payment for 2 years?  Yikes.  

It is more than $110 per month.  The latest shiny iPhone is about $1300.  Putting $720 on tab means an up front cost of around $600.  The super duper tab is only to make the up front cost a little more palatable, not necessarily zero. 

@srlawren wrote:

... thing is, for people that can't afford the expensive phone up-front, can they afford the outrageous monthly cost of the $80 minimum plan requirement PLUS $30 on top of that for the tab payment for 2 years?  Yikes.

lol, we both already know the answer to that.

But I think the term "mobile data addiction" is fitting.  All the things needed to feed that addiction - a top-end phone, a high-data plan, and a good-sized hit of bonus data - is dangled off the store shelves, right now today you can just pay $0 and walk away with your new top-end phone (or pay $$~$$$ for a better/best top-end phone, still far cheaper than buying one elsewhere).

We live in a consumer society filled with Veblen Goods, Giffen Goods, conspicuous consumption, status symbols, and brand bling.  You can always pay off that monthly bill from your credit card, no?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth thing is, for people that can't afford the expensive phone up-front, can they afford the outrageous monthly cost of the $80 minimum plan requirement PLUS $30 on top of that for the tab payment for 2 years?  Yikes.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Acekiller wrote:

lol, just another trap for people to buy phones they can't afford.

^^^ This.

Yes, it's a trap!

But to be fair:

Extra Large Tab will let you walk out of the store with a Galaxy S8 ($0) or S8+ ($100) or S9 ($250), an iPhone 6s ($0) or 7 ($35) or 7+ ($195) or 8 ($230) or 8+ ($360) or X ($600), a Pixel 2 XL ($0) or Huawei P20 ($0) or any other phone ($0).  A fair range of current and former top-tier premium devices at prices which are still overpriced but (currently) as good or better than subsidized phone prices at any other Canadian provider.

They actually are "affordable" for those who can't afford them ... assuming one wants a high data plan (which seems obvious, you wouldn't buy these sorts of phones without a mobile data addiction).  Throw in 3GB add-on data as an incentive (for 24 months) and that $80~$130 per month (plus up to $720 on Tab) ain't so bad.  (Although I expect the $80, $100, and $125 plans will be the most popular.)

Betcha lots of millennials will be walking around with these Koodo phones.  (And betcha that half of them will want a newer/better/costlier phone or get cut off for owing too much money to Koodo before the Tab gets fully paid off, lol.)

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

lol, just another trap for people to buy phones they can't afford.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

More info here: https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/29/koodo-mobile-canada-launches-tab-extra-large-pricing-tier/

Need Help? Let's chat.