cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo migration - weak offer

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

i just got a text with an offer to move to Koodo .... I will not be moving. I suspect tab costs are added to $50 plan.

Public Mobile here with an exclusive offer from our friends at Koodo.

Switch to Koodo today to get a $0 phone with Tab S up to XL. Get 7GB of Shock-Free Data at 4G LTE speeds for $50/mo. Offer expires March 4.

Redeem this offer by calling 1-866-366-1403.

To be excluded from Public Mobile offers and deals, reply 'unsubscribe'. Conditions apply.

33 REPLIES 33

smp99

@popping wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Just keep in mind since Koodo changed their rules end of August 2019. 

It's now remaining tab PLUS remaining phone credit if you leave before 24 months. It used to be just remaining tab but too many churners turning a profit that's why Koodo changed their rules to add phone credit to the bill.

If people leave Koodo before 2 years, they are paying full retails for the phone.

Retail price = tab + phone credit

Almost

Price of phone to Koodo customer

Cost = upfront cost + tab cost + (phone credit/24 * number of months remaining)

@srlawren  Oh I fully understand how the process works....sure it's a payment plan that ties customers to a "contract" for two years unless you have the financial ability to buy out your device that is more than likely the full retail price. I haven't signed a phone contract for over 20 years. When I want a new device I shop around and buy it outright. These offers in my mind are false advertising when offering a "free" phone. It's not free....its full price and you are strapped down to a plan cost for two years as you see better priced plans offered....until you get to the last six months of your contract most people who sign up cannot afford to buy it out. How many times have we seen people paying an outrageously expensive monthly bill because the bought into the "free" phone sales pitch. They see public mobiles rate plans and bemoan the fact they are tied to a contract for the mere fact they cannot afford to buy out the one they currently have because they were sold a phone they cannot afford.

A perfect example was the offer telus made when I asked for a loyalty discount. They came back with a two year contract for a new device that would cost 25% more than the current retail price. That was reflecting 20 years of loyalty.....i switched to public mobile the next day.

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wetcoaster wrote:

@smiley3 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

I tried to call but hung up after 10min.

I am on the $40 plan that has a number of credits

So you are on a 3G (LTE lite) plan and not full speed LTE

Yes - 3G plan

Might be worth it if you want the faster network and free phone!

Don't drink the corporate Kool Aid... Actually free and phone don't go in the same sentence. There's always some kind of cost involved.

Especially when CEO of this corporation threatened the CRTC today.

jimbobs

@smiley3 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Yes - 3G plan

Free phone? I don't think so.

jimbobs

@smiley3 wrote:

Yeah, looks like you'd be on a faster network for data...but probaby not worth the extra $ per month if you're happy with your current plan!

Same network but PM plans throttled to 3G speeds.

I think the offer is unattractive and won't be availing of it.  By my back of envelope calculations, it is less expensive to buy my own unlocked phone and continue to use PM.  Increase in data speed isn't worth anything to me.

@popping wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

It's now remaining tab PLUS remaining phone credit if you leave before 24 months. It used to be just remaining tab but too many churners turning a profit that's why Koodo changed their rules to add phone credit to the bill.

If people leave Koodo before 2 years, they are paying full retails for the phone.

@popping Yup. Likely more in the end. A phones retail value today won't be the same a year later.

smp99

If I remember from 2 yrs ago the offers came in a few wave, getting better each time. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jb456 wrote:

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@CannonFodder wrote:

@popping  Well, I'm only on the $15 plan, but they still sent that text to me. 🤔 

Yep, just got the offer too (first one to date).  I'm also on the $15 plan and I'd say not really an enticing offer!

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

Who wants to be a strapped down to a two year contract for a "free" phone? 

@darliciousyou're never strapped down any more.  It's like an interest-free payment plan.  There may or may not be any subsidies on the device, and you may or may not pay something up front for it (like a downpayment on a loan), but basically you break up whatever is left on the cost of the device into 24 payments over 24 months.  However, you can still cancel your account (or port it out to another provider) and pay whatever is left on your device balance.  This is fair, considering you keep the device.  It's like paying off your car loan or mortgage early without penalty.  

Purchasing a device this way can be beneficial, but isn't necessarily so.  It depends on your needs and financial situation, whether or not there are subsidies on offer, whether or not the provider marks up the phone's full retail value vs. what you might pay for it outright elsewhere, etc.  The main thing is: are you happy with the monthly plan and its cost (net of any device tab payment), becuase that's the piece you're keeping long term, even after the device is paid off.

This a very dated analysis now, but for a rough idea of how to do those types of calculations and figure out what works for you, check this out:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Practical-example-of-how-PM-saves-you-big...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@popping  Well, I'm only on the $15 plan, but they still sent that text to me. 🤔 

popping

No offer for my $10 50/50 plan.  lol.  PM and Koodo knows that I am not going anywhere.

@wickedgx wrote:

With the $25/1gb plan, I was able to get this following migrartion offer today:

"Switch to Koodo today to get a $0 phone with Tab S. Get 1GB of Shock-Free Data at 4G LTE speeds for $35/mo. Offer expires March 4."

Yup, I JUST got that offer too....

That's one of many reasons to leave the world of contracts, tabs, and lengthy and meaningless rewards (ie Fido Dollars to Telus RMP Rewards to Bell's Prepaid Loyalty Rewards Program, and so on). If one does their research, Public Mobile is a fairly decent program that really hits the wallets in savings. I went from Telus to Fido to Public Mobile (and yes, I know PM is part of the Telus family), but, am no longer on a contract or pre-paid accounts with those companies.

I think I have received more technical assistance from using the community versus going inside of the retail stores of Telus or Fido. For example, I had an issue with Telus, with my dad's phone. The guy at the counter couldn't figure it out. Telus told me I needed to get a new phone. Instead, I think I went to the Samsung store, and they were able to get the phone up and running again. Another time is I had Fido putting miscellaneous phone charges for no reason. Enough was enough. And I finally went to Public Mobile. Although, it took me 6 months to get there. I wished I left sooner. 

I just wish people understand that it is Telus's job to try to switch companies. That's how they make their money. There is no activation fee with Public Mobile. But with Koodo there is (unless you buy online). And with a tab plan, somehow they will make money on you. And if you decide to go back to Public Mobile, if you break your plan,  am guessing, you probably have to pay a penalty fee? Another money maker there! 

Sorry for the rant! 

@popping wrote:

@Luddite 

PM is also targeting the long time subscribers with lots of rewards.

It is almost end of February.  March 31 is the end of Telus financial first quarter.  It is time to boost the number of postpaid subscribers to dress up their quarterly report.

Koodo definitely won't be contacting me about offers, whether or not my account is eligible for an offer. There isn't anything that they could possibly offer that would make me currrently switch, not even if they want to give me a free iPhone 11 Pro Max on a BYOP plan.

Wow I'm glad I haven't been hassled with a targeted offer from anybody for anything! Who wants to be a strapped down to a two year contract for a "free" phone? Those offers have SUCKER written all over them.

popping

@Luddite 

PM is also targeting the long time subscribers with lots of rewards.

It is almost end of February.  March 31 is the end of Telus financial first quarter.  It is time to boost the number of postpaid subscribers to dress up their quarterly report.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Just got the Koodo offer on my $15 plan; $35 for 1 GB on tab small. So my net cost for the least expensive phone would be $720, ouch. 

iPhone 6s small tab $10 for 24 months PLUS $20/month incremental over current PM plan, versus iPhone XR from Apple $799

Think I'll stay. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

With the $25/1gb plan, I was able to get this following migrartion offer today:

"Switch to Koodo today to get a $0 phone with Tab S. Get 1GB of Shock-Free Data at 4G LTE speeds for $35/mo. Offer expires March 4."

Not worth...

Is Koodo a competitor per Tiana's definition for relegation to the Lounge??  Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@smiley3 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Yes - 3G plan

As for the migration offer: There was no rhyme or reason for plans targeted on the first couple offers, they've gotten worse ever since.

(I'd have switched from my then $40 PM plan if they'd offered it, but was not desperate enough to jump through the hoops. The only migration offer I actually got was something like $50 for 4GB IIRC...)

This is heavily edited... The forum is acting up here, so time to log out.

@smiley3 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Yes - 3G plan

Don't drink the corporate Kool Aid... Actually free and phone don't go in the same sentence. There's always some kind of cost involved.

smiley3

@smp99 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Yes - 3G plan

smp99

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Yes - 3G plan

smiley3

Yeah, looks like you'd be on a faster network for data...but probaby not worth the extra $ per month if you're happy with your current plan!

saje_ward

Nothing offered to me. Hanging on to the 2016 Fall promo 🙂

smp99

Well I still remember the big migration 2 years ago. $40 for 6or 8GB and a $180 bill credit ($15 over 12months) plus meduim tab eligible. 

@smp99 wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@smp99  Yeah, when I was with Lucky, I used to get that kinda of text from them quite often, offering a specific Samsung A(something or other) phone, on a specific Bell plan. After several of those went unanswered, they started sending the same sort of text, but offering a similar plan on Virgin..... same kind of company, same kind of upsell technique....

Need Help? Let's chat.