cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KitKat OS for Samsung S4?

N1Hawk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When will Public Mobile Push the new KitKat OS to the Samsung S4's?

20 REPLIES 20

BetaKam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is a good question?  I don't think Public Mobile will push any such update to your phone.  I could be totally wrong but I think that since all Phones in the Public Mobile beta are unlocked Phones they would not be setup to push any such OS update. 

Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Thanks, 

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

What did you do with the Moto G phones, and I presume they were first generation?

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

I have a bridge in Brooklyn, New York for sale, and also oceanfront property in Arizona. You interested?

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Martin wrote:
chuk,

You should have purchased a Moto G. That would have taken care of your problems!

I am addicted to Good Deal even when not needed, I picked up 2 Prepaid Telus Moto G's during Boxing week at London Drugs for $90 including tax even though I had no use for them because I owned a Moto X 2013 at the time.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Regarding AT&T Canada, it was my first ISP. In order to encourage subscribers to switch to its new plans (READ: $$$), it didn't do maintenance on its POP server, or intentionally set the time incorrectly, because all delivered mail had a time stamp 52 minutes late.

I was so negatively impressed by that that I wouldn't do business with the company ever again. Martin = a customer lost for life.

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

You should have purchased a Moto G. That would have taken care of your problems!

chukdefatey
I asked LG USA and they actually don't know what to tell me.

chukdefatey
Talk about lollipop, I was a frequent travelers to the united States so I bought an att lg g3 and got it unlocked through att. Att was the first provider in north America with lollipop but here I am months later still waiting for lollipop. I have tried everything and they only way I am going to get it is when I am on the att network. Stupid att. This however is first for me, I have owned many T-Mobile device they all got the updates even when not using T-Mobile network. Att totally surprised with this non sense and I can't hit the us till my nexus card is renewed and there is still a four month waiting period for those.

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Martin

Interesting stuff. I'm actually constantly filling my phones up with audio and video though

Martin
Legend
Legend
Griff,

If you have junk and residual files clogging your phone, you may wish to visit the Google play store to investigate the suite of apps from Cheetah Mobile, whose site is at www.cmcm.com

I use them, and I have never had a slow phone.

Good luck!

Griff

Gotcha,

I'm always more hesitant about upgrading my devices without expandable memory, I'm always running low on space and then i'm losing even more on system upgrades

Martin
Legend
Legend
Griff,

I have 2 Moto G phones, each being an identical clone of the other.

The only difference is that one has a PM number assigned to it, and the other operates entirely on Wi-Fi, courtesy of my neighbour.

Griff

You're using a Moto G right @Martin?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I work on the principle of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

After reviewing the problems associated with Lollipop, I've decided to stay with 4.4.4.

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Biggest change is the material design element. Which if you had updated any apps on Kitkat you would be well aware of.

Griff

@DK

Yeah Samsung usually takes a bit with their updates, I believe HTC says they will have their updates ready within 90 days of release. I got the 5.0.1 update for my Note 4 the other day and I like it, it didn't seem to change a whole lot though.

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Samsung is usually a little longer than others. I had an HTC M7 last month that had Lollipop while I also had a Note 4 that didn't. I was playing with a new Samsung S6/Edge today and I really liked lollipop on that.

Griff

@N1Hawk

Just read online that it rolled out today at AT&T for the S4, so hopefully within a month?

N1Hawk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I meant Lollipop Griff Sorry.. Any idea when it's coming out?

Griff

When you say "new KitKat" do you mean the new version of Android OS called Lollipop? If so I don't believe that's out yet, it did recently roll out for the Galaxy S5, Note 3 and Note 4 on TELUS though so I assume it's coming soon. KitKat should already be available for the S4 as it was released last year.

The update is pushed based on the model of the phone/carrier it was from, so when whichever carrier your S4 was intially with receives the OS update you should be able to upgrade it, this is also depends on the developer (Samsung) and when they release a 5.0 (or higher) build for the S4.

Need Help? Let's chat.