cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping PM Plan/SIM With New Number After Porting Old Number Out

cabbage
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi guys, 

This is a bit of a weird situation, but I recently ported out from Virgin Mobile on Decembery 27th, and signed on with PM for their $50, 8.5 GB data plan w/ unlimited calls and text. Virgin got in touch with me recently and offered me a 6 GB data plan for about $35 along with an 8 GB one for $45. I accepted the $35 rate plan, and they ported me back in right away. 

Now, since I'd prepaid for my Public Mobile, I was wondering if I could contact Public and have them allow me to keep using the plan and SIM card I paid for with another phone using a new number? 

I know a refund won't be possible since there's no buyer's remorse with PM, but my little sister was looking to get a new plan, so having her using my plan and SIM card, especially since I signed up during the $0 for next 30 days promotion, would be great and it'd ensure that I didn't end up wasting the $50 I paid.

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

@cabbage  Lol.....im lucky I have a grand in front of one of my plans so I have 4G and throttled 3G on the other....tell you the truth I cant tell the difference. But I'm happy virgin has some excellent  customer service and values  you as a customer...all the best!

cabbage

@darliciousIt was definitely impressive. I had no intentions of switching back with Virgin either, especially not so early in, but the bill credit swayed me. Even with all the promos, there was no way PM could catch up to that. Especially not with their 3G speeds. Haha 🙂

@cabbage  Well done virgin I'm impressed theyre up here in my books where as              deserves to be exactly where they lie....pun intended.

@Tapan676  as you can see...........

(_____koodo______)

cabbage

@darlicious Virgin actually also offered me a full credit on December's bill and waived the extra data usage charges that I had incurred that month due to an emergency ($100+ value for bill + extra charges), so I don't really regret the switch!!

It's definitely a pity, though, that I couldn't stay with Public Mobile for longer.

Cheers!

cabbage

@computergeek541 Thank you for that clarification! 

@cabbage  Its unfortunate you didn't at least give public mobile a months trial...  and virgin didn't give you a heads up on what you were losing... by porting out right away. You had two months of 8.5gb/month for $50 ($25/month) and a $16 credit towards your third month...$84 for 3 months. Virgin offered you 6gb/month for $35 or $105 for 3 months and you left $116 worth of mobile service on the table here....luckily you're only out the $50+ tax. Maybe they 'll give you an additional sign up bonus for misleading you a little into switching providers so quickly after activation.

Sweet cabbage turned into sauerkraut....that'll pair with wing night!   @CannonFodder 

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When a number has been ported out, the current account is automatically closed and any remaining days within the plan are lost. PM is a prepaid service. If porting out or changing plans, always best to wait for the next renewal date, so nothing is lost. You will need to open a new account and buy a sim card for another family member.

@cabbage wrote:

So if I want to keep using the SIM with a new number, I'll have to re-register and re-pay? 

Your only option would be open a new account. Your old account is permantenly closed and you've lost any plan, balance, and rewards that were on it. You would also need a new sim card. The old Public Mobile sim card can't be used for anything.

@cabbage wrote:

So if I want to keep using the SIM with a new number, I'll have to re-register and re-pay? 

Once the account is closed out the SIM becomes invalid.  You would need to buy another SIM and open another account.  You can send a message to moderators via SIMon here: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Maybe they can offer some advice or help.

cabbage

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@cabbage   Once you've ported out your number, your account will effectively be closed. 

Need Help? Let's chat.