cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep phone number when changing province

therealfred
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi: 

I am thinking of buying a monthly plan with Public Mobile. I am new customer and I want to keep my phone number from Quebec (Area code 581). I’ve been living in Ontario for the last 7 years. Is it possible to keep my phone number from Quebec?

11 REPLIES 11

@gpixel wrote:

@darlicious thanks for clarifying that. I thought I read on one of the articles an oracle mentioning it doesn't matter if it's prepaid or not, they still need the help of the Moderators

At present, all porting requires a moderator if it isn't done at the same time as activation. It used to be that a customer could port a Koodo postpaid account from within self serve without needing to ask a moderator, but that hasn't been the case since early March.

@darlicious thanks for clarifying that. I thought I read on one of the articles an oracle mentioning it doesn't matter if it's prepaid or not, they still need the help of the Moderators

@gpixel 

A temporary phone number is only necessary if you want to port from koodo prepaid. This is because they share the same back end system as public mobile. So the phone number does not actually get ported but simply transferred between accounts.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@therealfred 

Public Mobile recommends to take the following steps if you need to port-in a number:

• Be sure to note the best practices below to ensure a smooth process:
    1. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number.
    2. You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
    3. Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
    4. Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Alternate Phone Number

Complete billing address

First and Last Name of the account holder

Alternate phone number

You’ll also need to provide one of the following: your old account number or your ESN/IMEI/MEID number or your account PIN

First and last name of the account holder

1. As a new customer, we recommend porting your Quebec  number at activation with the exception of Koodo Prepaid customers. 
    • Public Mobile has made some system enhancements to improve the success rate of this activity. So long as the correct information is entered, this process should be seamless.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@therealfred If you are unsure about porting your number you can activate a Public Mobile SIM with a public mobile number near you. Then as soon as the SIM card is working contact the moderators via private message and in the subject write "PORT NUMBER"  

here:https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

All you will need is the number of your previous account and the phone number you are speaking of. 

I have done it this way twice now and the moderators literally finish the port in under 10 mins. 

This can safe guard you from accidentally putting in the wrong number or timing out when setting up your account. 

Make sure your phone is unlocked and is compatible with PM.

Enjoy your evening. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to PM @therealfred you can keep your Quebec number. Just be aware that you will be charged 14.975% taxes per 30 day cycle. Stay safe. 

@therealfred wrote:

Hi: 

I am thinking of buying a monthly plan with Public Mobile. I am new customer and I want to keep my phone number from Quebec (Area code 581). I’ve been living in Ontario for the last 7 years. Is it possible to keep my phone number from Quebec?

Most likely you can, but no one can answer that unless knowing which city your phone number is from. Is it a Quebec City phone number? I ask because you can only port a phone number in to Public Mobile if Public also offers phone numbers for that location. Assuming that is the case, anyone calling you would still be calling a phone number in that part of Quebec and might face appicable long distance charges. For you as a Public Mobile customer, having a phne number from anywhere in the country makes no difference since all calling plans currently offered to new customers include Canda-wide calling.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@therealfred hi  yes you can keep your number from your previous provider. if you are coming from Telus or koodo you need to choose a new number first when activating, after that you need to contact customer support to port your number over. if you're coming from any other providers you can do a direct port by yourself, just make sure your phone is unlocked.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

As the others said. You definitely can keep your number.

IMPORTANT- Do not cancel your current providers plan. It has to be active and in good standing to port your number to Public Mobile. Once porting is complete the system will automatically notify your old provider that you are leaving them.

Don't forget to join with a referral code for a$10 signup bonus.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@therealfred hi yes you just have to port your number when you sign up for a plan

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@therealfred wrote:

Hi: 

Keep your existing number as long as you want.

Need Help? Let's chat.