cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious, I keep getting a Call from a 647, More like a Scam call, How do I stop that?

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I keep getting this confounded Call from a 647 # and it's becoming more of a Headache.

Can a PM Rep Assist me in having this call Blocked or something, W/O needing to  change #'s

5 REPLIES 5

@srlawrenwrote:

@will13amwrote:

I wonder if there has been a leak of the phone number database with Public Mobile.  I am getting a ton of calls recently from various places all around the world.  The caller hangs up immediately.  I think these are calls where if you call back you get hit with expensive long distance charges.  I use the google dialer and there is a feature to block AND report the spam call to google.  I believe future editions of the google dialer will use a spam caller database to assist customers with blocking these calls.

@will13am there's zero need for them to have a phone number database, they can just systematically dial through all the area codes and extensions using automated dialers.  But yes that is a scam that is currently running.  I can't imagine people being silly enough to call back a long distance number they don't recognize, weren't expecting a call from, and did not speak to them or leave them a voicemail.  But I guess there must be enough of them out there for this scam to continue to pay off.

Sometimes it's a habitual thing to respond to all missed calls.  For a period of time, I used Google voice to complete all my calls.  It was kind of cool to be geolocated in Aspen CO.  I got a lot of heat from friends who were charged long distance responding to my missed calls.  Now I just use it when I don't want my number to be seen by the receiving party.  I wish the dev working on the voice choice app would develop a feature to cloak my number for all recipients not in my contact list.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13amwrote:

I wonder if there has been a leak of the phone number database with Public Mobile.  I am getting a ton of calls recently from various places all around the world.  The caller hangs up immediately.  I think these are calls where if you call back you get hit with expensive long distance charges.  I use the google dialer and there is a feature to block AND report the spam call to google.  I believe future editions of the google dialer will use a spam caller database to assist customers with blocking these calls.

@will13am there's zero need for them to have a phone number database, they can just systematically dial through all the area codes and extensions using automated dialers.  But yes that is a scam that is currently running.  I can't imagine people being silly enough to call back a long distance number they don't recognize, weren't expecting a call from, and did not speak to them or leave them a voicemail.  But I guess there must be enough of them out there for this scam to continue to pay off.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @makkahn28,

thank you for taking the time to flag this!

Getting weird calls from an unknown number definitely doesn't sound fun. Although we can't block a number on our end, this can be done from your phone (depending on the model you have) For iPhones, simply tap on the circle next to the phone number and then scroll down until you see Block This Caller.

Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Barth
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Isn't it sad how spam calls have increased in the last couple of years? Changing your number won't help because the robots call all of the numbers.

The good news is that you can block calls from your phone. I don't know which phone you use, so I recommend that you google "blocking numbers on iphone" or "blocking numbers on android".

Need Help? Let's chat.