cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just activated, have questions

justinlijc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Just got my dad a $15 plan, went through the activation process.

I used a referral code, but the $10 credit isn't displaying in my account. Does that usually happen? 

As well, I selected to port/transfer his number from SpeakOut (7-11 pay as you go). This was about 20 minutes ago. How long does the port usually take? I tried calling the number and it said the number is not available at the moment. 

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops probably should've put this in another forum

13 REPLIES 13

@justinlijc wrote:

@computergeek541 

Sorry, what do you mean the number was inactive? The number was still working before I ported. It still had a balance at SpeakOut as well. 

When I restart the phone it's also asking for a "SIM network unlock PIN", but I have no idea what this is? 

Oh, sorry. i misread "indeed active" as "inactive".

The other members are right.  Your phone is locked to another carrier. You need to contact the old carrier to get the unlock code.

FYI: PUK and network PIN

"SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK." is asking for the phone’s (often Samsung) “master code" after entering the wrong code too many times. Samsung and/or your previous carrier can give you this.

"SIM network unlock PIN" is asking for your previous carrier's unlock code - just contact them with your IMEI and they'll give it to you. If you enter this incorrectly too many times, you'll get the error message above.

“PIN unlock key (PUK)” is a SIM-specific code used to prevent unauthorised use of a SIM card. 

The PIN (Personal Identification Number) enables secure access to the SIM card and network. It is provided with your SIM card. 

• If the PIN code is entered incorrectly 3 times, the phone is locked (except for emergency calls) and requires a PUK (Personal Unlock Key) to reactivate it.
  • Once the PUK is recovered and validated, you will be asked to choose a new PIN.
  • Only Public Mobile's moderators can give you this type of code, which the device manufacturer cannot. Public Mobile's moderators can be contacted at the following address: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
  • Caution! If the PUK is entered incorrectly ten times in a row, the SIM card becomes unusable.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Char1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@justinlijc wrote:

When I restart the phone it's also asking for a "SIM network unlock PIN", but I have no idea what this is? 

It sounds like the phone is locked to the speakout/Rogers network.  Is it a Samsung?  Even unlocked phones from them seem to lock to the first sim you put in.  Speakout should be able to provide you with an unlock code, or you can go through the chat on samsung.ca if that's the manufacturer.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@justinlijc wrote:

@computergeek541 

Sorry, what do you mean the number was inactive? The number was still working before I ported. It still had a balance at SpeakOut as well. 

That message means your phone is locked to your Previous Provider. Your Previous Provider is the only one that can unlock it, so give them a call.

justinlijc

@computergeek541 

DougWoodman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

From my experience, my number did not become active after 24 hours and I had to reach out to a Mediator through the Community (click on the envelope to the top right corner) to iron out my problems. Now works flawlessly, no issues, no concerns. Great work by the Mediator. He actually called me the next day to confirm everything was working as expected. Be patient, it's worth the wait...

@justinlijc wrote:

Hi,

I used a referral code, but the $10 credit isn't displaying in my account. Does that usually happen? 

As well, I selected to port/transfer his number from SpeakOut (7-11 pay as you go). This was about 20 minutes ago. How long does the port usually take? I tried calling the number and it said the number is not available at the moment. 

Thanks!

@justinlijc wrote:

Thank you all for the replies!

The SpeakOut line was indeed active when I ported. I'll continue to try calling from my own number (outside of the Telus family). When I call it now, it says "the number is not available at this time", which I'm hoping means the port is in progress. 

There's no point to any further testing.  You cannot port an inactive phone number, and the porting has failed.  The first thing you'll need to do is get Speakout to reactivate.  Only then should you try again.

justinlijc

Thank you all for the replies!

The SpeakOut line was indeed active when I ported. I'll continue to try calling from my own number (outside of the Telus family). When I call it now, it says "the number is not available at this time", which I'm hoping means the port is in progress. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@justinlijc wrote:

Hi,

@justinlijc  Should show up in your Dad's account sometime tomorrow but can take up to 72 hours as others have mentioned.

Hopefully you used the PIN for the port. Speakout does not use account numbers so the best way to port is using the PIN on file. If you don't have the pin then you can use the last 4 numbers of the IMEI. When th port completes you will receive a text from PM informating that the transfer completed. Another option is to continue to use the Speakout sim until it stops working. Once that happens it means that the port is complete and you can start using your PM sim.

If your port is stuck or you need to conatct the moderator team directly click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Thanks!

GR
Mayor / Maire

@justinlijc  also sometimes restarting the phone does the trick also!   Once the port is complete usually you get a text from public mobile saying welcome and the port is completed! 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@justinlijc   your dad will see the $10 credit you will get a $1 referal credit.

as for the port is was teh speakout line active when you ported?  it should take at most a couple hours.  when his speakout service is cut off, the port should be copleted.

another way to check the porting status is to call your dads number from a  non telus family phone and see which rings.

justinlijc

Thank you!

Is there a way to check on the port status?

GR
Mayor / Maire

The 10$ credit you should see by tomorrow but it can take up to 72 hours. The port hopefully will go thru within 2 to 4 hours but if it doesn't work by tomorrow morning you should message the moderator_team and for help!  

Need Help? Let's chat.