cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Google Play?

ettoby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been on PM for 2 months and this has been a consistent issue. Whenever I try to update or download new apps via Google Play Store it will stay stuck "Downloading" without any progress - I've left it going for half an hour once. This is when I'm in DT Toronto and up in Richmond Hill/Vaughan area with good reception, changed my preferred connection to 2G/3G, cleared the cache for Play Store... more or less everything I could think of short of a factory reset. I don't have this issue once I'm connected to home or office wifi.

Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12

berniedes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi  ettoby

Had same problem,  I searched the community but none of the suggested solutions worked.   I did more research on my own  and this problem is related to Google play  Settings  > Auto-update apps >   being set for    Wi-Fi only.

Change this setting to either auto-update manually or over any network and you will be able to download new apps  using data no problem.  

I have switched back to "wifi only"   but at least now,  I have a solution should I need to download an app and do not  have wifi available.   

@88cranston wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

I personally update apps while using wi-fi.  If you use it with data depending on how many updates and size it could use alot of your data.

I agree. How really important is it to update an APP that is still usable any ways, over data? My rule of thumb APP or OS updates should be done over wifi. 

That's in general true, but every now and then you'll be stuck someplace like hospital with very expensive WiFi, still data on your phone and the thingy that you need right now just keeps crashing. Nice to be able to force it to update, cause asking nicely just doesn't do it

@ettoby  It must be a device specific problem because a force close and restart usually resolves the problem.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Triguy wrote:

I personally update apps while using wi-fi.  If you use it with data depending on how many updates and size it could use alot of your data.

I agree. How really important is it to update an APP that is still usable any ways, over data? My rule of thumb APP or OS updates should be done over wifi. 

I have the same issue with Nexus, I just keep clicking 'do it now' usually after 5th push it starts, but if screen goes blank or I receive call, that's it and I have to try all over again. Once it kept getting startled at 80%-90% for hours and I had no access to WiFi, wasted way more data by having to restart it. And I have small data so I do care, but u needed it done to work properly. 

It's just one of those annoying Android things that really shouldn't exist as user should have way more input and say on a Linux based system

PS. I mean yeah you do have say, you choose over any network option but then they proceed to ignore it as they know much much better what's good for you. I find 'ask me each time' works better, 'over any network' gets ignored more

Check settings within the playstore app under App download preference.

Screenshot_20191111-152547.png

@ettoby wrote:

@Anonymous Lots of data left and I've tried both allowing to download over any network or and asking me each time. No dice.

@Triguy I usually wait till the end of my period before updating via data I'm a pretty light user so it's not an issue.

@geopublic My preferred network is usually 2G/3G/4G (aka all the options). I've done the clear storage/cache, deleting search history and restarting before but did it again just now on the hopes that nth time is the charm. No joy 😧

I'm on a OnePlus and other people have this issue as well with no clear solution. So it might be a phone/OS issue.

OnePlus One on stock OS?  I know someone at work who is having problems updating apps via playstore also.  I don't use my OnePlus One anymore but I never used the stock OS anyway.  So no personal data points to share.

ettoby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Anonymous Lots of data left and I've tried both allowing to download over any network or and asking me each time. No dice.

@Triguy I usually wait till the end of my period before updating via data I'm a pretty light user so it's not an issue.

@geopublic My preferred network is usually 2G/3G/4G (aka all the options). I've done the clear storage/cache, deleting search history and restarting before but did it again just now on the hopes that nth time is the charm. No joy 😧

I'm on a OnePlus and other people have this issue as well with no clear solution. So it might be a phone/OS issue.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Google play store has app download preference setting.  I think the default setting is WiFi only.  I personally set it for any network but I restrict the auto update and do manual only.  There are apps that I don't want to update all the time. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ettoby  Your preferred network should be auto or a lte/umts combo. Clear the data, and the cache of the Google Play app and also do a force close of Google Play app. Restart your phone, go into the your Google Play settings and clear your search history.

Also, I'm assuming you have enough data within  your plan to do the download correct?

Give it a try and report back.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ettoby wrote:

I've been on PM for 2 months and this has been a consistent issue. Whenever I try to update or download new apps via Google Play Store it will stay stuck "Downloading" without any progress - I've left it going for half an hour once. This is when I'm in DT Toronto and up in Richmond Hill/Vaughan area with good reception, changed my preferred connection to 2G/3G, cleared the cache for Play Store... more or less everything I could think of short of a factory reset. I don't have this issue once I'm connected to home or office wifi.

Any ideas?

Existing data in your plan or add-on? ie. not consumed

Permissions to let it download while on cell data?

Two ideas anyway.

Need Help? Let's chat.