cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to keep my old number?

Cubty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thinking about coming over to PM. Is there a way that I can keep my current number from my old provider?

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This question always baffles me.  Number portability was introduced TWELVE and a half YEARS ago in Canada (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_number_portability#Canada).  How can so many people not know about it and have to ask here?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Anonymous wrote:

@nelsonc wrote:
As you probably know, you get $10/mth off for the first 6 months if you sign up by today. If you need a referral code for an extra $10 off, than mine is ###A##

So that's interesting. I have 2 active accounts and 1 expired. They all have 3 letters and 3 numbers.

Does anybody else have something other than 3 letters and 3 numbers?

There's no obvious pattern. Mine only has one number.  From what I can tell, the codes can be any 6 character combinaton of letters and/or numbers.  If the need arose, I suspsect that they could also change to more characters in each code.

@nelsonc wrote:

As you probably know, you get $10/mth off for the first 6 months if you sign up by today. 

Let's remember that this is only for $35 or higher plans.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nelsonc wrote:
As you probably know, you get $10/mth off for the first 6 months if you sign up by today. If you need a referral code for an extra $10 off, than mine is ###A##

So that's interesting. I have 2 active accounts and 1 expired. They all have 3 letters and 3 numbers.

Just looked at my referral codes (2 active, one suspended).  First two show either 3 letters/3 numbers, but last digit is either o/0 on both, so don't know, haven't used for referrals yet.  The last account activated (suspended), clearly shows 4 letters and 2 digits.

So probably no particular pattern to these codes, since there can be more digits or letters.

Well that corroborates nelsonc. Good enough for me. Thanks. Sorry for the off-topic notifications OP.

@Anonymous wrote:

@nelsonc wrote:

Just looked at my referral codes (2 active, one suspended).  First two show either 3 letters/3 numbers, but last digit is either o/0 on both, so don't know, haven't used for referrals yet.  The last account activated (suspended), clearly shows 4 letters and 2 digits.

So probably no particular pattern to these codes, since there can be more digits or letters.

Harding05

I went to the store I had TELUS they just needed my TELUS account number and they transferred number over to PM. plus I’m getting the 10$ off promotion!!

nelsonc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh thanks.  I didn't know that.  I'm new around here 🙂  I've removed that part of the reply

popping

@nelsonc

You should remove your referral code before any Oracle member reads it as it is not allowed on this forum.

nelsonc

For the record, the referral code that I used when I signed up did have 3 letters and 3 numbers as you indicate.  I guess I'm unique.... 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nelsonc wrote:

popping

@Cubty 

FYI

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM sets up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is 2  days.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

popping

@Cubty 

The process of moving a phone number from q provider to another provider is called porting a number.  Your old number must be active in order to port your number to PM.

You need to provide

- your name on your old account

- your old account number

- your phone number to be ported.

Rahulh2009

Hello, yes, you can port your old number over to Public Mobile. 

When you activate your SIM the next step it asks you for the number to be transferred to public mobile.

Hope this helps

Cheers! 

nelsonc

As you probably know, you get $10/mth off for the first 6 months if you sign up by today. 

nelsonc

Yes, you can port your number over

Need Help? Let's chat.