cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to get the new 1GB/30 plan if I am already a public customer?

haha650
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on the 30 dollar 500mb plan right now, and I was just wondering if I could buy another sim card, activate it and get the promotional plan, and then transfer my phone number to the new sim card?

20 REPLIES 20

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Why is PM not allowing us old customers to get this plan. This is prepaid service so I don't understand why we do not have the right to switch plan, including promo plans, for the next billing cycle. A mod told me that I have to be patient and eventually there will be some promos for existing users... I have to call BS on that one.

@wetcoaster

4, 11, 21, 33, 43, 44

You owe me half

@wetcoasterwrote:

Since your crystal ball is already focused on my life in 6 months - could I please get tomorrow's 6-49 numbers?

I was only giving the cut your losses and drop the current phone number, buy only a new PM sim, and activate it on the cheaper plan.

youre out $10 plus taxes, and 1 phone number.  Month 3 you start saving.

@Korthwrote:

@wetcoasterwrote:

* I'm on $25/30days provincial talk & text only with the 1GB data add-on right now, which has worked really well for me over the past year. But with the need for more data (>500MB) coming up this summer I'm looking at my options...

You already know there's Data Add-ons (for Canada, for 10-day US Roaming), and that the "best" prices for these are $30 for 1GB (or $20 for 10-day 1GB).

But it would cheaper to modify your plan to include Data - if you time it so that your new with-Data plan renews when you need it "this summer" and you discontinue it (back down to a no-Data or low-data) plan when you don't.

Since your crystal ball is already focused on my life in 6 months - could I please get tomorrow's 6-49 numbers?

@wetcoasterwrote:

* I'm on $25/30days provincial talk & text only with the 1GB data add-on right now, which has worked really well for me over the past year. But with the need for more data (>500MB) coming up this summer I'm looking at my options...

You already know there's Data Add-ons (for Canada, for 10-day US Roaming), and that the "best" prices for these are $30 for 1GB (or $20 for 10-day 1GB).

But it would cheaper to modify your plan to include Data - if you time it so that your new with-Data plan renews when you need it "this summer" and you discontinue it (back down to a no-Data or low-data) plan when you don't.

I do not like this direction 

In old day Public was always allowing anyone to change to any plan

Then some plans were expired (but still showing in self serve Cat Wink for those creative folks)

Now we are getting targeted promo plans and plans noone can get unless a new client

I would prefer Public gave things like bonus GB to new accounts, not special plans

Personally, and with the circumstances I am in right now*, I would be willing to go for the $30 for 1GB if I had easy access to it (ie able to future date the change for my next renewal date) and wouldn't completely reset all the rewards to 0.

Adding $10/30days to my monthly bill to get 1GB?* Less so, to be honest. I get a better $/GB ratio elsewhere.

At the end of the day those $5 that Public Mobile could get from me every 30days for 1GB of 3G speed data (that costs them essentially nothing to provide), but doesn't because of this set-up, are just a drop in the rain barrel on Telus' balance sheet.

@Ludditewrote:

@stonechuckerwrote:

After 2 months, you break even.  After that, you're saving $5 per 30 days. if you invest in switching.

No savings in this case; both plans are $30. It's just that the promo has twice the data.

I guess people who are looking for 1GB at the best price are looking at it as $5 savings once the migration costs are paid for?

1GB 3G for new customers = $30

1GB 3G for existing customers = $35

@stonechuckerwrote:

After 2 months, you break even.  After that, you're saving $5 per 30 days. if you invest in switching.

No savings in this case; both plans are $30. It's just that the promo has twice the data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker that is based on 1sim card purchase. Not sure what virgin charges for there's and if there Re any additional plan costs with virgin.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

is it really worth the trouble and money?

@CS_Agentwrote:

@ haha650, Hello! Hope you're doing well! Actually, the plan can only be taken during the activation so if you're already a customer, it wouldn't be possible to it after. Hopefully this answers your question. 

@will13am, Hey! I'm afraid that it's not possible to move a phone# from one PM account to another PM account. So this suggestion wouldn't help. Unless he doesn't mind losing his current phone#. 

Smiley Frustrated, oh well plan B then.  Go buy a virgin mobile SIM card, port to virgin and port back in.  I believe virgin prepaid does not require a top up to hold a number temporarily.

twest666
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You could probably get it but it will take a bit of work and a small amount of money. 

First, you would need to get a PM SIM and activate it with the plan and a new number.

Second, pick up a bell prepaid SIM and use it to port out your PM # from the 500 Mb plan. Cost would only be a SIM as no balance is required to port in a number. 

Third, port number from bell SIM that you just ported from PM into the new account with the 1 GB plan.

Not sure if you will think it's worth the work.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@CS_Agentwrote:

@ haha650, Hello! Hope you're doing well! Actually, the plan can only be taken during the activation so if you're already a customer, it wouldn't be possible to it after. Hopefully this answers your question. 

@will13am, Hey! I'm afraid that it's not possible to move a phone# from one PM account to another PM account. So this suggestion wouldn't help. Unless he doesn't mind losing his current phone#. 

PM don't appreciate exiting users 🤔

@CS_Agent

Hmmmmmmmm!!!!!

chakri264
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Unfortunately, you can not use the same phone number if you decide to get the promotional plan. It is not possible to move the phone numbers between the accounts on the same provider. Either you signup for the new account and lose your current phone number or you forget about the new promotional plan and continue using your existing number and the account. 

Or you can port out to another carrier and port back to public mobile potentially putting your loyalty rewards, referral rewards at stake. This way you will lose the existing airtime left on your account and costs you some money and headaches. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CS_Agent  I believe  the porting section of website still implies pm to pm ports are  possible. I would ask the web developers to modify it.

@haha650 the only way to get it is to port your number to another carrier then port back to a newly activated pm account. It would cost 2 sims, and you would lose any time remaining on your current account.

@will13amwrote:

I would sign up another account as a new customer, get this plan and then ask to have the phone number moved into the new account.  It will cost some money up front to set up, but savings can be enjoyed thereafter.  Of course, provided there's good price stability.

@haha650, I wouldn't bet on the moderators doing this for you.  This is almost like the work around of porting out but still keeping the plan for a different number and the Mods have said that porting or switching a PM number to a different PM plan wouldn't be done anymore.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would sign up another account as a new customer, get this plan and then ask to have the phone number moved into the new account.  It will cost some money up front to set up, but savings can be enjoyed thereafter.  Of course, provided there's good price stability.

Need Help? Let's chat.