cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Is lack of 2G network a problem?


@jor123 wrote:

 

Even most Rogers sites built in the last few years don't have gsm on them at all.


Trend is also to skip 3g by some carriers in some locations. There are some locations on coverage maps that only have LTE.

Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Is lack of 2G network a problem?


@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

 

Even most Rogers sites built in the last few years don't have gsm on them at all.


Trend is also to skip 3g by some carriers in some locations. There are some locations on coverage maps that only have LTE.


@cellphoneuser1 , really?  You do realize that Public Mobile doesn't offer VoLTE?  

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Is lack of 2G network a problem?


@will13am wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

 

Even most Rogers sites built in the last few years don't have gsm on them at all.


Trend is also to skip 3g by some carriers in some locations. There are some locations on coverage maps that only have LTE.


@cellphoneuser1 , really?  You do realize that Public Mobile doesn't offer VoLTE?  


Plenty of Bell/Telus small cells now are LTE only with no UMTS. The phone will just fallback to a tower with umts when on a voice call. There are areas like Point Leamington, NL and Hearts Content, NL with only LTE so trying to make a phone call will make the phone go to no service... 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Is lack of 2G network a problem?

@cellphoneuser1 and @jor123 are correct. Not just small cells, there are macro new sites with LTE only.

 

PM users can have full bars and no voice calling capability.

 

Here's an example: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/White-River-Ontario-No-voice-service/...

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Is lack of 2G network a problem?


@will13am wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

 

Even most Rogers sites built in the last few years don't have gsm on them at all.


Trend is also to skip 3g by some carriers in some locations. There are some locations on coverage maps that only have LTE.


@cellphoneuser1 , really?  You do realize that Public Mobile doesn't offer VoLTE?  


I realize and that means no voice in these places.  See the messages by others about it.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Is lack of 2G network a problem?

All the more reason for voice over lte to be rolled out to all phones. It sucks that areas where coverage improvements were made with small cells, etc. don't see any voice calling benefits. There wouldn't be much point in having a PM phone in a place like Hearts Content where you could text and use data but not make phone calls until within range of a traditional tower, when you could sign up with Koodo, Telus, Virgin or Bell and enjoy that coverage on every iPhone and many android phones... 

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Is lack of 2G network a problem?

Technology wise, 2G network not particularly inferior to 3G or LTe. Various frequencies have its own pros and cons. Its sad that main providers cannot pick up their **bleep** and be consistent with frequencies. Consistecy would have saved money to many Canadians. So whats a pro of 2G. Its a long wave. It can travel and bounce less often hence if its a GPS tracker of a boat or some remote device it will likely to have service in middle of lake or deep woods. Downside internet is painfully slow. You can still check Email and browse internet but no streaming video. 5G is like wifi. it is super fast but 5 meters away and no service or poor to no connection in tunnels and thick buildings. In-between frequencies is a jack of all trades. I work in hospital and 3G suck big time. 4G forget about service. 3g your battery will deplete faster with less service bars (since its searching it over and over).

 

Also 2G network maintenance is virtually free. This is why it's offered in 3rd world countries at a cost of 1c a minute or unlimited $10 a month.

 

With LTE and Canadian providers clocking down unlimited internet at 50kb/s we dont need even 3G. Those that burn through 15GB in short time will not even be happy with 5G but 5G will cost all Canadians a leg. I mean main providers charge $80 for basically 10GB and unlimited call/text. Real price should be $30 but then providers will not be able to upgrade to 5G. I dont know how PM does low prices but next time Canadians pay Rogers, Bell, etc question what their real use and why bill is so high. 5G people should pay for them using 5G. 3G users should pay their maintennance fees of 3g. So 2G users should be only paying 2G rates. Ala $10, not a $40 for call and text and 300mb internet(that include hidden network upgrades). I rather have 2G in deep woods than 5G. If I am camping I dont need to watch videos. But I might need service in case I brake a leg. Putting 5G into deep woods is the same as making every Canadian to pay for corporate stupidity and mindless greed.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Is lack of 2G network a problem?


@Ruslan1394 wrote:

Technology wise, 2G network not particularly inferior to 3G or LTe. Various frequencies have its own pros and cons. Its sad that main providers cannot pick up their **bleep** and be consistent with frequencies. Consistecy would have saved money to many Canadians. So whats a pro of 2G. Its a long wave. It can travel and bounce less often hence if its a GPS tracker of a boat or some remote device it will likely to have service in middle of lake or deep woods.

I don't agree with that. In Canada, 2g is is on band 2 and 5 (1900 and 850MHz), and only at Rogers.  There are LTE signals in the neighborhood of 700 and 850MHz. There is also coverage on Band 5 (850MHz) for the 3g networks. Either can travel much farther at those lower frequencies than a 2g network can on Band 2. Further, while I have not looked up if any band 5 frequencies that Rogers uses for 2g are any lower than the band 2 frequencies used by them or other carriers for either 3g or LTE, the coverage difference isn't going to be of any signficance. Technologically speaking, a 2g network is inferior in every way that I can think of.  It's currently only there because it's already built and for compatibility reasons, and it won't be there for much longer.