cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get a recording of a phone conversation?

Justriots
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Basically the title. I had a recent call from a private number and some of the things said by the caller in that call were quite disturbing. I would like a copy of the audio recording of our conversation, if at all possible, in the event that I need evidence that such conversations took place. It's a matter of safety more than anything else. Is this something that Public Mobile would be able to release to their customers if given enough reason? Thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Justriots was this a crank call or is this ongoing?  If a crank call,  you are probably not the only victim here.  If this is a series of calls, and you fear for your safety?.As mentioned PM can't record the calls for you. But they can help out the authorities. So?

@Justriots wrote:

Basically the title. I had a recent call from a private number and some of the things said by the caller in that call were quite disturbing. I would like a copy of the audio recording of our conversation, if at all possible, in the event that I need evidence that such conversations took place. It's a matter of safety more than anything else. Is this something that Public Mobile would be able to release to their customers if given enough reason? Thanks! 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

It's illegal to record a conversation without at least one of the parties knowing. The only exception is the judge order I believe. In USA due to Patriot act apparently certain words can trigger automatic recording to be reviewed by an officer afterwards, bit I'm not absolutely certain, it's a rumour.

I doubt very much that public mobile would do such thing. It's illegal.

Ckyaimee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

they wouldn't due to privacy concerns (they cannot without telling you, just as they do when you call a 1-800 number). You could download an app that does this just incase there is another incident. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Carriers do not record phone calls.  It would be creepy if they did.  Anyway, there are recorder apps that will do the job.  I read that the Google dialer will have that feature soon.

@Justriots  The recording of private phone call conversations by a mobile service provider breaks just about every privacy law on the books. Canada has some of the strongest privacy laws in the world. ( Have you wondered why the duke and success have chosen to move here?)

Depending on which province you live in the laws surrounding the recording of private phone call conversations varies as do their admissability in court. Many jurisdictions require both parties being recorded to be informed before the conversation begins. In BC only one party needs to be aware of and give consent to be recorded (presumably that would be you.)

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Justriots wrote:

If they call again, you can record it yourself. Search your phone'a app store.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@Justriots  I seriously doubt that PM would be able to provide such a thing, but the only way to find that out, would be to contact the Moderator team, and ask.

Edit - after thinkin' about it a little longer, I just can't see there being any chance of getting a recording of a conversation from PM.....

@CannonFodder I've heard of copies of texts and only by court order. 

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Justriots  I seriously doubt that PM would be able to provide such a thing, but the only way to find that out, would be to contact the Moderator team, and ask.

Edit - after thinkin' about it a little longer, I just can't see there being any chance of getting a recording of a conversation from PM.....

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Not possible.  Public Mobile does not record calls. 

If it's safety concerns best to call the police.

Need Help? Let's chat.