cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is. Roaming plug and play?

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello I am thinking of giving pm a try but first acouple of preliminary questions:

My wife is going to the u.s. for a 7 day visit and i was considering buying a sim putting her on a plan and adding a 10 day roaming add on. Although i am reasonably savvy when it comes to computers, i am somewhat out of the loop when it comes to some of the finer points with mobile phones, however i am usually able to figure out most of it when i need to...

My wife is a different story not the slightest technically inclined and somewhat of a techno phobe. My question is: after the sim is set up and working on a plan, after i put on the roaming add on, and turn on the roaming feature on her phone, will my wife just be able to turn on her phone and make a call as soon as she gets off the plane in the states without any settings adjustments. i.e. will things work seemlessly out of the box as i won't be with her to help her if something doesnt work? She will just be using it for texting and voice calling. Thanks! Rob

15 REPLIES 15

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Canlan54a wrote:

Thanks so much for your assistance JB. I was wondering if might be kind enough to provide me with a referral code. Incidentally, is there a place to enter this code while I am going through the activation process online? cheers, Rob

Cheers to you too Rob, Yes there is a Place during the activation to enter the Referral Code.

Canlan54a

Thanks so much for your assistance JB. I was wondering if might be kind enough to provide me with a referral code. Incidentally, is there a place to enter this code while I am going through the activation process online? cheers, Rob

Ask one of the posters who has given you assistance.  Whoever you think provided you the best information, if you wish.

Canlan54a

Once again thanks for the replies, I must have misunderstood sunshines' previous reply.

Also I was wondering, as I don't currently know any pm customers, how can I get a referral code?

Thanks again. Rob

US Roaming addons can be added to any plan, even a data only plan.  This is a bit unique here, as other addons need the base talk or txt to support the domestic addon.

The $10 50 minute, 50 text plan will certainly work with the US roaming addons.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chukdefatey wrote:

@Canlan54a wrote:
  • Thanks to everyone for your prompt replies to my original question however some posts seem to say that any plan can be used to get the add on while others are saying i must get a minimum $30 plan...which is correct? Thanks!

Where does it say you have to have a $30 plan to purchase an add on?  A public Mobile add ons are available for every plan in the market

Well not quite. While maybe you could *buy* an LD add-on (maybe) with a data-only plan, it seems to say talk is required in the base plan. Which I guess makes sense.

But then there's only the one plan now. No BYO.

chukdefatey

@Canlan54a wrote:
  • Thanks to everyone for your prompt replies to my original question however some posts seem to say that any plan can be used to get the add on while others are saying i must get a minimum $30 plan...which is correct? Thanks!

Where does it say you have to have a $30 plan to purchase an add on?  A public Mobile add ons are available for every plan in the market

@Canlan54a wrote:

@Canlan54a  Any plan can purchase the addon. The previous post was referring to duration 30 days not the amount. You will have no problems purchasing the addon.

Canlan54a

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Canlan54a wrote:

Hello I am thinking of giving pm a try but first acouple of preliminary questions:

My wife is going to the u.s. for a 7 day visit and i was considering buying a sim putting her on a plan and adding a 10 day roaming add on. Although i am reasonably savvy when it comes to computers, i am somewhat out of the loop when it comes to some of the finer points with mobile phones, however i am usually able to figure out most of it when i need to...

My wife is a different story not the slightest technically inclined and somewhat of a techno phobe. My question is: after the sim is set up and working on a plan, after i put on the roaming add on, and turn on the roaming feature on her phone, will my wife just be able to turn on her phone and make a call as soon as she gets off the plane in the states without any settings adjustments. i.e. will things work seemlessly out of the box as i won't be with her to help her if something doesnt work? She will just be using it for texting and voice calling. Thanks! Rob

In addition to the above replies, if your network setting is on auto then it should just pick up either US network upon turning off airplane mode.

Keep in mind that contacts should have the 1 in front...not just 10 digit dialing.

Due to a persistent bug in the system, on the day of her returning back, send a private message to the moderators to remove the add-on. The bug is that the day after the 10 day term of the add-on, texting will not work. But if this is just a short-term one-time thing for your wife to use while away then maybe it doesn't matter.

sunflowershine

@Canlan54a You must have a regular 30-plan in order to buy the add-on. If you just want a USA roaming SIM, you can get Roam Mobility. You can get it for a week. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a wrote:

@Canlan54a  Since the addon is going to be for texting and calling only then it should work without any other intervention. Maybe just as a backup give her instructions on how to manually select AT&T or T-Mobile just in case it will be required. Don't forget that the 10 day addon starts as soon as you add it into her account.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay safe!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay safe!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Canlan54a wrote:

Usually easy to use...sometimes you may have to manually select network AT&T or T-Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.