cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Public Mobile shutting down?

tamzid1999
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Koodo rep told me that Public Mobile woukd be closing soon. Also read on a forum that another user got told the same thing by Koodo rep. Is is true? 😮

14 REPLIES 14

TCity

Sometimes if a rumour is repeated enough it becomes true. I hope not, because in my opinion PM is an example of how prepaid, no-frills mobility service should be structured in Canada. I say this even though I just moved one of my PM lines to koodo a few days ago... lol

PC Mobile is completely different - it has both prepaid and postpaid options. Telus and Bell already have brands in that market space, so they were essentially competing with themselves. It could make sense to roll it all under one brand. This isn't the case with Public Mobile.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The first 10,000 threads asking this question were amusing.  Every subsequent one is getting more and more frustrating.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just scare tactics and money greediness. May the bad karma be with them.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It doesn’t seem like it’s shutting down. However things like that can happen quickly in todays day and age with uncertainty in some of the technology sectors.

What I mean to say is thag I hope it doesn’t shut down, but it’s not up to me to make thise decisions.

Greenphase

Looks like some sort of game or marketing ploy. With this kind of service or  system issues I'm sure some will leave out of frustration.

Cosmetic changes to self serve are great, but most subscribers still don’t read the message that says please ignore this message if you are on AutoPay, or have deposited money.

if everything is working correctly, just don’t show the error message!

Forgotten password issues.... this is the number one thing that needs to work in a self serve setup.  It’s been over two weeks now since it was working, and that was only for about 4 hours.  The system has been broken for ages now.

Telus is not investing in fixing the system, it’s patch work so PM can stay productive in getting folks in the door, and then back to Koodo to get better expectations of revenue for the board.

hocuspocus

Public Mobile is not shutting down. This rumour originated from this announcement:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/A-letter-from-Dave-on-the-infamous-40-f...

In this letter, Dave mentions:

"While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today"

People interpreted it as Public Mobile shutting down and used it as justification to move to Koodo. This is far from the truth. Since this letter, here's a handful of things that has happened:

• Public mobile has revamped their website
  • Public mobile started selling SIM cards at select retailers (London Drugs, Walmart, Wow Mobile)
  • Public mobile has continued to make improvements to the self-service portal

Why would they commit resources in doing this if they were planning to shut down?  Answer: They're not.

Well to be fair, they could fix all these problems and stop looking like a company that doesn’t care about its customers.  

Oh, and they told us the promos will keep coming, and causing further back logs as the frustration of delayed response times increase for the moderators.

Yeah, PM is going nowhere.  I’m just frustrated that I keep reading this crap.

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@tamzid1999 wrote:

Koodo rep told me that Public Mobile woukd be closing soon. Also read on a forum that another user got told the same thing by Koodo rep. Is is true? 😮

Koodo reps will use this as a scare tactic hoping you will sign with them and not PM.  Right now they are also playing on the hope that some have heard the news that PC mobile is shuting down andnot have paid attention and just think it is PM when they are told that.

Koodo should be happy to have PM around as we are the biggest feeder to their service will all the promos they offer here.

Yeah, I am 99% sure that the "Public Mobile is closing in October" rumour is due to people confusing Public Mobile with PC Mobile (knowingly or not... honestly I think a lot of reps just have it all mixed up by accident):

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/24/pc-mobile-loblaws-exiting-postpaid-wireless-plans/

@Zhuoyu wrote:

It's the first time I heard this.

There are countless topics of people asking here if PM is shutting down, there are also countless other posts of official moderator / PM employees saying no we are not shutting down.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@tamzid1999 wrote:

Koodo reps will use this as a scare tactic hoping you will sign with them and not PM.  Right now they are also playing on the hope that some have heard the news that PC mobile is shuting down andnot have paid attention and just think it is PM when they are told that.

Koodo should be happy to have PM around as we are the biggest feeder to their service will all the promos they offer here.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@tamzid1999

impossibru

public mobile is the best

we are here to stay forever

love you public mobile

11111.jpg

Zhuoyu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's the first time I heard this.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tamzid1999 wrote:

NO

They say that because they want a bonus to sell you koodo, they make $0 selling public mobile. Koodo reps hate public mobile and will lie

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hi jp2,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

We can't stress this enough - Public Mobile is NOT closing down - we're here to stay!  Please disregard any rumor you hear, I can assure you they are simply but that - rumors.

Cheers,

Bladimir R. 

Need Help? Let's chat.