cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Eug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is Public Mobile's LTE throttled vs Telus/Koodo? Who here has the fastest Public Mobile speed?

I set my wife up on Public Mobile and it is working well for her. However, I've noticed that the max download speeds are more limited than I was expecting. They're decent and more than sufficient for her, but still, not quite what I might have expected for Telus or Koodo. (She was on Koodo before.)

Thinking it might just be luck of the draw for wireless conditions right at those times tested, I looked online, and it seems a few people have done comparative tests between Public Mobile and Koodo side by side, and Public Mobile is consistently slower. Well, at best Public Mobile is sometimes similar, but most of the time Public Mobile is slower. For example, one test had two Galaxy S6 phones testing Koodo against Public Mobile tested side by side. Koodo was over 100 Mbps, but Public Mobile was 20ish Mbps. Others have done maybe 5 tests in a row with the same phone models and again, Public Mobile usually was slower. Furthermore, I have never seen a Public Mobile speed test benchmark out there hit over 100 Mbps. In fact, over 60 Mbps seems to be rare.

Are Koodo and Telus given priority over Public Mobile in terms of download (and upload speeds), or is Public Mobile actively throttled (but still provided LTE speeds)? Or is Public Mobile using a more limited LTE feature set? Or is this all just by chance? To be fair to Public Mobile, I don't think I've ever seen truly scientific speed test comparisons between Public Mobile vs Telus/Koodo.

BTW, my iPhone 7 Plus on Fido is consistently slower than Public Mobile on my wife's iPhone 6s for upload speeds in my house, with my Fido consistently in the 1.5-2.5 Mbps range, and her Public Mobile in the 8-15 Mbps range. That's a pretty huge difference, and I'd rather have the faster uploads. This is her iPhone 6s on Public Mobile, to show the decent uploads.

FF299FC1-F694-4B9A-8B94-3385BA59C2D8_zpsszawj9ee.PNG

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Is Public Mobile's LTE throttled vs Telus/Koodo? Who here has the fastest Public Mobile speed?

As long as you're happy with real world testing - ie Web browsing, streaming etc then who cares about the numbers. The more important number is the dollars in savings every month!

Eug

Re: Is Public Mobile's LTE throttled vs Telus/Koodo? Who here has the fastest Public Mobile speed?

I care about the numbers for two reasons.

1) Intellectual curiosity. Public Mobile seems to be positioning itself to take Wind customers, but not to go head to head against like companies like Virgin or Fido. Perhaps this is one way they've limited PM to still be way better than Wind but not better than its sister brand Koodo. Or not.

2) For my wife it's fine. For me it's also usually fine, but sometimes on business trips I need to tether my phone. In this scenario, my question may be more important, esp. if I'm sitting in a hotel with a bunch of other Telus or Koodo users also tethering.

Wow this is interesting for sure, however I have never really had a problem with my data speeds with public mobile.

I found that wind used to be good but now their prices seem a bit overpriced for what you get. They used to have things like pay by minute but now their cheapest plan is $25 which isn't bad except for the fact their service is only available in a select few areas.

Eug

I'm not sure Wind has ever been good, at least not in a consistent fashion in Toronto. Anyone I've ever known on Wind has always said Wind was cheap, but never said it was actually good. Wind's network just isn't up to par, and their LTE rollout is not going to magically make it good enough to compete against the big three any time soon.

But that's a different discussion.

The problem too with Wind is they sell it as LTE, but not all LTE are the same. The AWS band they use is so weak it has trouble penetrating concrete...not good in a big city. Theoretically there speeds are legit if you are stanging under the tower...but the service is not useable in a practical world. I suffered it for 2 years thinking ...hey it's cheap. I will not miss the frustration of deadzones in areas which should have good coverage...and also I love that I am able to put on a cartoon or something for the kids if we are waiting at the doctors office and they aren't feeling too hot...sickly toddlers+buffering=STRESSED OUT ! haha

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well, I haven't really noticed. But when I was with Virgin/Koodo, I disabled LTE for fear of going over my very small data limit faster. Ever since PM, it's been plenty fast, so no complaints. (Even faster than my home internet)

Mayor / Maire

I suspect the app is not optimized

Try downloading a large file and you won't see any slowdown

rkd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i ran a speedtest on my Galaxy S6 and got 47.09DL 40.31UL. i got a buddy i was with who is also on public mobile to do it on his nexus 5, and he got around 27DL. i originally thought the slower speeds were because he had an older phone, but looking at your wife's iphone 6s results i don't know what to think anymore