cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone APN setting not showing

lammer03
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello Public mobile community,

I just ported over my Freedom mobile number over, also I have received a text message saying I have succesfully ported over (my Freedom mobile sim does not have get signal anymore also). The problem I am having is the APN for my Iphone is not showing as it is only showing "personal hotspot" so I can't use LTE currently to test the speed out. 

-Note:Also I have already emailed to a few different mods already, just waiting to see what they say

but curious how you guys solved yours and did you get encounter the same situation with you iphone. As well, my iphone is in the latest ios so I can't really update to change any carrier settings currently.

35 REPLIES 35

LindaX
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had the same issue, which was resolved by this recommendation. Thanks a million!

Ruth3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

From Ruth3, just completed activation of a new SIM card. Had difficulty at 1st but with patience i helped my wife to get there. Followed instructions as to the necessary APN procedures. Went on line to get carrier APN and transferred info unto her unlocked cell phone. Rebooted phone and got everything activated. Works very well now. Gerald.

Kathieknox

Mine is looking the same.

How can this be resolved? (Although I also couldn’t find a way to include a screen shot. Doesn’t seem to allow me to add screen shot here. Only on direct email replies.) 

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rob79  I have the iPhone SE (32GB) which I bought unlocked to use on Freedom. Everything for Freedom was there, but absent from Public Mobile. But everything works, so I guess in this case, it doesn't matter. 

Happy so far!

@rob79 wrote:

@jeffster1970 - if everything is working fine, then you're good. Like I mentioned earlier, not all iPhones even HAVE an APN menu. It all depends on where the phone was bought, and most carriers (an even Apple if you buy it directly from them) purposely hide the APN menu.

I don't know why they do this, but I assume it's to make it harder for users to leave one carrier for another.

All that said, you should never have to change your APN settings, they should get pushed to your phone anytime you put a new SIM in. The problems only start if that doesn't happen...

rob79

@jeffster1970 - if everything is working fine, then you're good. Like I mentioned earlier, not all iPhones even HAVE an APN menu. It all depends on where the phone was bought, and most carriers (an even Apple if you buy it directly from them) purposely hide the APN menu.

I don't know why they do this, but I assume it's to make it harder for users to leave one carrier for another.

All that said, you should never have to change your APN settings, they should get pushed to your phone anytime you put a new SIM in. The problems only start if that doesn't happen...

jeffster1970

I have the same issue if you can call it that.  I have nothing other than hotspot, yet everything works fine. Maybe the port-out is still in process. 

Word of warning to folks coming from Freedom to PM.  Don't do speed tests. Really. It burns data.  I've done it a couple time, nothing too huge, but big enough, so I showed it to my friend who's on Freedom, well, dang, it was cruising over 100bps so it chewed through like 80MB of data in like 7 seconds.  So, just be carefiul. 

rob79

@lammer03

Yeah if I were you I'd just wait for a mod or someone else from support (if you've sent emails, etc) to get back to you before you try a million things to fix it. If it's still not working AFTER they do what they gotta do on their end, then it's time to start troubleshooting your phone settings, etc.

Just FYI - I'm new to PM after going back-and-forth about switching (because I was nervous about finding myself in a situation like you're in now) for a LONG time and couldn't be happier. I was previously with Koodo so I already knew the coverage would be amazing, but I'm saving literally $75 over every 90 day period for the SAME service.

I didn't have any problems with my port, etc, but even if it had taken a couple of days of back-and-forth with support it would still have been worth it. Basically saving the cost of a new phone every year or two (depending on what kind of phone I want to buy next) at this rate.

lammer03

@rob79 I just tried, and still not lte what I have to do tomorrow is try to get the mods to fix my "port-fail" and everything (fingers crossed) should be running back to normal 

@lammer03 wrote:

@Luddite Yea so far my carrier is PM 28.3 in the General--> About, also the only setting in APN showing is "Personal Hotspot" where the APN is: isp.mb.com and nothing else.

Sorry to ask you a millionth question, but why do you have roaming on? 

@lammer03

While I cannot speak about our great oracle , but since PM is pre-paid, that means no matter what happens, or what you do, there will be no extra charges, so by setting Roam to "ON" the service will work no matter what the phone thinks even if it believes that it is roaming. As long as it is included in your plan and selfserve it will work, if not then it will simply not work.

rob79

@lammer03

Did you try that link posted earlier? http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

If you try that link it should set your APN settings even though you don't have the menu.

The only way I found to get the APN menu back was to jailbreak, but doing that isn't necessary to change the settings if you use that site.

lammer03

@rob79 I didn't know you can request a turn off of the APN setting. But I never requested or anything, it just did by itself when I ported over to PM. Maybe it's due to the "port-fail" glitch thats going on. Becuase before I had the APN setting with Freedom moments before porting was successful. 

lammer03

@Luddite Yea so far my carrier is PM 28.3 in the General--> About, also the only setting in APN showing is "Personal Hotspot" where the APN is: isp.mb.com and nothing else.

Sorry to ask you a millionth question, but why do you have roaming on? 

rob79

@Luddite Right, so then right now if someone has an iPhone 5C or earlier, that was originally locked to a carrier who requested the APN menu be "removed", then the only way to get it to show would be using a 3rd party service like that unlockit link.

As I said, Apple doesn't make it easy lol. At least there are people here on the forums who know how to deal with this, it would be a nightmare to try to figure it out on your own!

@rob79 Correct, no more OS updates for the 4, and 10 is the last for the 5c and earlier.

However, the data settings on the 4 can be set by following the link I posted earlier.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

rob79

@Luddite - my understanding was that it was more about iPhones that are no longer eligible for iOS updates vs. it being the iPhone 4 or earlier. Like, once the phone is no longer eligible for software updates from Apple, whatever settings are in there are kind of "locked in" from that point forward.

Could be wrong though, it was a long time since I looked at it. And FWIW it *was* an iPhone 4 that I had the problem on so who knows.

@rob79 Yes, iPhone 4 and earlier cannot be manually reset but using wifi and Safari to access http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/settings.php?id=1019 gets data operating.

Fortunately, PM does not discriminate phone makes, so even Android is acceptable! Robot LOL

rob79

I know we're past this now, but I had that same problem with the lack of APN settings on iPhone before, it's so annoying.

It turns out that carriers can request that option be shut off by apple, that unlockit website is a godsend if you're trying to move an unlocked, but still APN-menuless iPhone to a new carrier.

Was one of the many little annoyances that eventually drove me to Android.

It will get sorted by the moderators in the morning if the port-in has failed and you have sent that private message.

Meanwhile, reboot your phone now and then in case it's just a system delay. Plus keep checling the Freedom SIM for activity.

Good luck tomorrow. 😎

Welcome aboard.

Just so you can confirm settings mine are (iOS 10.3.2):

a. Settings >> Cellular >> Cellular Data on >> Cellular Data Options >> Enable LTE on, Data Roaming on >> Cellular Data Network >> APN isp.mb.com (nothing else)

b. Settings >> General >> About if you are offered a Carrier update accept it; Carrier shows Public Mobile 28.3

lammer03

But Im so eager right now to use my new phone plans that I am trying to seek remedy myself but off course from what I am hearing from some of you, Mods are the only way that can help my situation currently.

lammer03

Yep, I did my due diligence and have been following you and many other helpful members of the community, reading your helpful tips. So i went ahead and did all that around 6:00ish pm est. I knew it was a sim port fail or something like that, so I am not as nervous as others was. But thank you for your kind help, really appreciate you being so active in the community

OK, ignore my last post. That is failed port-in behaviour.

Try your old SIM. If it works just keep using it until the PM SIM is functional. Do not close your old account; that will happen automatically. Or if you have another phone, use your old SIM in it and carry on with two phones

If your port-in of a cell number has stalled more than 3 hours you will need moderator assistance. Send  a private message to the moderator team with your phone number and an explanation. Include the following info:

• PM SIM card number
  • Freedom account number, exactly as shown on your bill. The DBC part listed in a Freedom account is considered part of Freedom Mobile account number. 
  • Freedom phone number
  • the name, exactly as shown on your bill
  • an Alternate Phone Number; someone else’s, not your own

lammer03

Sorry, I didnt finish answering your questions, Okay so the phone is only good for calling but receiving calls, texting (I screwed up the plan selection process, and forgot to add 'Global Text' which is my fault) and data all doesnt work (also I tried calling my house when I was with Freedom I had caller display but with PM my number shows up as "private caller" when I called him just to test it out, had my number ported since 5:30pm est. What my guess is that every other person the last few days are in this same boat as me and all they had to do was get a respond from one of the mod and they got their phone working. I know I got to be patient, but a little fustrated off course.

@lammer03 wrote:

No, but I dont want to keep annoying you guys.

Please never marked it solved unless it is so. Confuses folks trying the help, and those looking for solutions. You can never annoy everyone too much; after all anyone can simply ignore you! Robot LOL

So, I gather your calling/texting work, but data does not? I have a rather long checklist for these situations. I have tried to eliminate things you have tried.

- connects with wifi?

- cellular data turned on?

- confirm data is included in your plan and not used up

- is it all apps that use data or just the browser not connecting?

- toggle airplane mode off/on

- remove sim for 5 minutes, then install and reboot

- go to settings, then general-profile and delete any profiles

- check network is not set to 2G; use auto, 3G, or LTE

- check for operating system/carrier updates

- remove any VPNs

- reset all network settings; you will need to add back wifi passwords after that.

- try sim in another phone and a good sim in your phone

- LAST desperate measure when all else fails; erase all data and restore phone to factory settings

Let us know if you need directions to try any of these.

lammer03

No, but I dont want to keep annoying you guys.

lammer03

Iphone 6 ios 10.3.2, unlocked (got it from apple store)

@lammer03 That  looks normal. Some more questions:

- what model & iOS version do you have?

- where did you get the phone?

- do calling/texting work?

- can the phone connect to wifi?

Just noticed you've marked this solved. Is data working now?

lammer03

alright thank you very much

You will find it on CA- Public Mobile

X-Files

@lammer03 wrote:

I can't find PM on the website

Here it is, my friend ~ Robot LOL

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/settings.php?id=1019

lammer03