cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International text.....

macjammin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On my plan it says that I have unlimited international text, but I am wondering whether this means that I can text from Canada to anywhere in the world or does it mean I can travel anywhere and text people back in Canada. I am heading to the states and wondering what are the best add ons. Help please and thanks.

42 REPLIES 42

@huyez   Chatr is the only Tier 3 provider that has roaming service outside of Canada and US

However, roaming is not cheap, it is always better to get local data sim together with some VoIP service

Yes, some people want to receive 2FA text.  But instead of using text to receive 2FA, people should consider using Authenticator app.  Authenticator app is much safer and less dependent on phone number and service of the provider.

huyez
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for your tips. Wonder any carrier has prepaid plan works outside of Canada?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

You can text to anywhere you like, as long as you are in Canada.

^^^^^^ "International texting" in a nutshell.  

EDIT: apparently I'm incapable of typing "international" Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@ladybearbc wrote:

HI 

I just need to clarify the 'international' text definition.

I am wanting to text to Mexico - is that part of our 'international' - or does international just apply to the US?

Thank you

You can text to anywhere you like, as long as you are in Canada.

@ladybearbc wrote:

HI 

I am wanting to text to Mexico - is that part of our 'international' - or does international just apply to the US?

Thank you

You can text to Mexico or Spain or Africa....but the phone you text need to have the option to receive your texts.Smiley Wink

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

HI 

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

lol

I was meaning what with you being an Oracle and all. Yeah Alan would like that 🙂

I am just another customer like all the other members here

Well...yes...but no...you hold a different status than other customers.

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote: 

Thanks for that. I'm sitting corrected. Good to know. Doesn't mean actual mods have to abide by it still...unless also instructed. 🙂

I just know that if I wiped out a post of someone's on here that there would be many on here all over me for doing it.

And so they should 🙂

So your comment to Oana_S would perhaps be better directed to Alan_K to verify whether the mods have been instructed to follow the same convention.

But hey...I'm not an Oracle...so what do I know. 🙂

True

I will also remember to direct others when I a questioned to direct it to Alan

lol

I was meaning what with you being an Oracle and all. Yeah Alan would like that 🙂

I am just another customer like all the other members here

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote: 

Thanks for that. I'm sitting corrected. Good to know. Doesn't mean actual mods have to abide by it still...unless also instructed. 🙂

I just know that if I wiped out a post of someone's on here that there would be many on here all over me for doing it.

And so they should 🙂

So your comment to Oana_S would perhaps be better directed to Alan_K to verify whether the mods have been instructed to follow the same convention.

True

lol

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote: 

And so they should 🙂

True

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote: 

And so they should 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Oana_S wrote:

Please do not hesitate to call us in case you have other questions, we`ll be more than happy to help out! 🙂

Hi @Oana_S ...   "call us"?  Are you sure about that??

Yeah...and abroad is generally thought of as outside Canada but the only roaming is in the US (which of course is outside Canada).

ShawnC13: the mods can do anything they dang well please. Your standards are nice but they're really only suggestions that you guys have voluntarily tried to follow. Doesn't mean mods have to.

@Anonymous, it is actually something @Alan_K , has asked us to follow that standard 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Oana_S wrote:

Please do not hesitate to call us in case you have other questions, we`ll be more than happy to help out! 🙂

Yeah...and abroad is generally thought of as outside Canada but the only roaming is in the US (which of course is outside Canada).

ShawnC13: the mods can do anything they dang well please. Your standards are nice but they're really only suggestions that you guys have voluntarily tried to follow. Doesn't mean mods have to.

@Anonymous, it is actually something @Alan_K , has asked us to follow that standard 

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Oana_S wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Oana_S wrote:

@Oana_S wrote:

Hey all,

I`d like to remind you all that we need to keep the posts clean and respectful. Thank you! 🙂

I would like to know why my post was edited?!?!  @Oana_S   did you edit my post of so we have a standard here where whoever edits a post leaves their name with an explanation of why the post was edited

@markevee wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@markevee wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@markevee wrote:

So international text is only in your home country. It is kinda decieving and I see your issue as it is somewhat false advertising.

I would contact a moderator and complain first, you can do that at this link. If they dont give you the add on for free, you can add it as a add on "US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day)" for $8.

I hope this helps

@markevee, I don't think telling customer to complain in hopes of getting a free Add-on is really the best option.

Well it takes two seconds, and if no one complains, what is to stop a company from selling there service and products under false pretenses. I don't work for public mobile, and I'm just saying what i would do. 

I think @hairbag1 was just being polite. I think I can speak for most here and say that we do not believe there is any false advertising going on. Maybe you are expecting a little too much. What carrier allows you to roam outside their coverage area and send text for free? 

Alright thanks for letting me know, I see both sides, just oviously I wasn't the only one confused about what international text encompasses. This person is inquiring about it. To answer your question- Not a single carrier allows you to text from outside thier coverage area, but they all like to advertise "international texting" without exactly clarifying the limitations. Should this be something we have to inquire about, or should we just beable to do it. I understand what it means, and clarifying it more won't deepen my knowledge. I think there is a degree of false advertising, and people with basic knowledge don't understand it, and it generates frustration, when your learn you got to pay extra.

Holy confirmation bias batman!  

@markevee wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@markevee 

You can't do anything with Public Mobile outside of Canada. The states is the only other place but you need roaming add-ons.

You can receive calls and texts from *anywhere*. You can send texts to *anywhere*.

I wouldn't call it deceiving.

Yeah it is, international texting is international texting. I think most people would interpret that as meaning you can send and recieve text internationaly. They should reword it as "international texting from Canada" as it requires that clarification. Just because all the cell phone companies do it, doesn't mean it's right. Cell providers are notorious for selling products under false pretenses.

I respectfully disagree.  That would be saying the unnecessary.  I don't know where you come up with this idea that international text means being able to text from anywhere in the world to anywhere in the world?  Do you think that canada wide calling means being able to call anywhere in Canada from anywhere in the world?  

As with all carriers, their service can only be delivered if your phone is connected to their network.  Any other situation constitutes roaming.  

mimmo

@macjammin the only other thing I will add is that the only roaming options available with Public Mobile is the USA. Any other country you will not have any service. 

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

Hey all,

I`d like to remind you all that we need to keep the posts clean and respectful. Thank you! 🙂

srlawren

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@Oana_S wrote:

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

Hey @macjammin,

If your rate plan has international texting included, it means that you can send texts while in Canada to any international phone number at no extra charge. For you to be able to send texts while abroad, you`ll need a roaming option added to your phone line. Please do not hesitate to ask us in case you have other questions, we`ll be more than happy to help out! 🙂

Best regards,

Oana 

@slash407 wrote:

only get free text in the local area, if u text while roaming u get dinged

I wouldn't consider all of Canada as a "local area".  If you are roaming, you just can't send texts. Please remember that  you won't get "dinged" because there are zero pay-per-use charges at Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zfx wrote:

@markevee

Just go to sleep, it's getting late... 

Getting being the operative word 🙂

I'm out in the real west.

zfx

markevee

@krazykiwi wrote:

@markevee wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@markevee wrote:

So international text is only in your home country. It is kinda decieving and I see your issue as it is somewhat false advertising.

I would contact a moderator and complain first, you can do that at this link. If they dont give you the add on for free, you can add it as a add on "US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day)" for $8.

I hope this helps

@markevee, I don't think telling customer to complain in hopes of getting a free Add-on is really the best option.

Well it takes two seconds, and if no one complains, what is to stop a company from selling there service and products under false pretenses. I don't work for public mobile, and I'm just saying what i would do. 

I think @hairbag1 was just being polite. I think I can speak for most here and say that we do not believe there is any false advertising going on. Maybe you are expecting a little too much. What carrier allows you to roam outside their coverage area and send text for free? 

Alright thanks for letting me know, I see both sides, just oviously I wasn't the only one confused about what international text encompasses. This person is inquiring about it. To answer your question- Not a single carrier allows you to text from outside thier coverage area, but they all like to advertise "international texting" without exactly clarifying the limitations. Should this be something we have to inquire about, or should we just beable to do it. I understand what it means, and clarifying it more won't deepen my knowledge. I think there is a degree of false advertising, and people with basic knowledge don't understand it, and it generates frustration, when your learn you got to pay extra.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@macjammin wrote:

On my plan it says that I have unlimited international text, but I am wondering whether this means that I can text from Canada to anywhere in the world or does it mean I can travel anywhere and text people back in Canada. I am heading to the states and wondering what are the best add ons. Help please and thanks.

@macjammin You cannot use the international call add on while you are in the States. You need the US roaming add on instead. BTW, you can download a free calling and texting app (such as TextNow, Fongo) before you heading there. You will need "roaming data" only. You can make free calls through wifi within North America. The app can access your contact info too. It will save a lot of money. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@markevee wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@markevee wrote:

I hope this helps

Where one can actually use Public Mobile services is implied by coverage. The coverage is in Canada. Therefore all services are while in Canada...except any roaming agreements elsewhere which is currently only the states.

What company does NOT stretch the truth to shine the best light on its products or services. They can't outright lie by regulatory force but as long as they're inside of that then they're fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.