cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International phone not able to make calls

mikey_mau5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I activated an unlocked international phone on the $30 talk text and data plan yesterday. The phone is connected and active. Data works as well as the ability to send and recieve text messages. However when trying to make phone calls the device just shows dialing and when the number is called it goes straight to voicemail.

Changed apn for data to work and selected the preferred network as Telus (only option available without manual input. Any other ideas as to why this issue would be happening> 

5 REPLIES 5

I wouldn't waste any more time looking at APN settings.  Your data already works, and that is the only think that APN settings enable.  You do not need to do anything with APN settings to make phone calls work.  My guess would be that you phone may not have 3g capabilities at the 850 and 1900MHz frequencie ranges (bands 2 and 5). You need those for vocie calls to work.  LTE at Public Mobile can only be used for data and text messaging services.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mikey_mau5, the apn settings only come into play for data.  You mention international phone.  There are phones made for the Asian market that do not have compatible 3G frequencies.  You need to have 850 and 1900 MHz on 3G to make phone calls.  For calls, the phone has to go to 3G as Public Mobile does not have VoLTE.  Interestingly these Asian market phones have one compatible LTE frequency, I think it's 2600 MHz.  

mikey_mau5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

activated on behalf of someone else. Will double check on the phone manufacturer. I remember it being one I had never heard of before though. 
I did manually input the APN, when I would select "save" it wouldnt actually save it as one I could later select. Network settings I am also going to look into when I get a chance as well as trying the sim in another device. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

seeing telus as teh only availabe network is strange aswell, it shoudl say public mobile.  

have you tried doing a network setting reset?

also if you have acces to another phone, can you put your sim in that phone and see what happens?  this isolates account vs hardware issues.  

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What is the make / model of your phone? The frequencies might be incompatible since it is international phone.
FYI, you have to create a new Public Mobile APN, not edit an existing APN that belongs to another carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.