cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Travel

sheriking
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It doesn't sound like PM has a coverage plan outside of Canada/U.S.  We are traveling to the Caribbean in September - don't necessarily need to make calls, I guess the best way to communicate with family back home is through WIFI and using Facebook Messenger or WhatsUp.  Any comments/suggestions?  Thx.

57 REPLIES 57

@CatCanyon wrote:

Actually, part of consideration is calling my 97 year old mother's landline. I call her each day and she's technologically challenged...;-)

your mom has a landline, then TextNow is perfect. 

TextNow is like a real phone, you call regular phone number and people call your number.  The other parties do not know you are using VoIP app. 

In this sense, TextNow and Fongo are the same, except TextNow has free Text and call quality is much better.   

Signal, Whatsapp are just App to App calling

CatCanyon
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks. Not familiar with term esim??

CatCanyon

Actually, part of consideration is calling my 97 year old mother's landline. I call her each day and she's technologically challenged...;-) as well as business associates.  Everyone  else can duels e.g. textnow for calls. Of course there's whatsapp which I deplore. How about signal? I'm thinking this app should be good. Any international experience with this app? Or how about conferencefree?

Thanks for your attention. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Call forwarding doesn't need the sim left in. Set it up once (in) and it's ready. It's the text forwarding option that needs the sim in and on in Canada. If you have the sim with you then you can't forward unless you get someone to replace your sim and do it for you. And don't let the sim see a us tower or it will stop the forwarding.

CatCanyon

Thanks. I'm now investigating call forwarding by leaving my PM Sim in my at- home- phone and getting my friend to input my Aussie Sim number. What do you think? 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

No you can't forward outside Canada. Using a voip app gets around that. You just need wifi or mobile data to use it.

CatCanyon

Not suffering... suggesting...;-)

CatCanyon

Interesting... call forwarding. Not sure how to accomplish...I have 2 phones... and I'm going to Australia. So, I think you're suffering that if I put my Sim card into my phone- at- home phone and get a SIM card in Australia then my friend could set up my home phone once I give her the new Sim card phone number.. is that what you're suggesting? I need phone for business and family while away???

@CatCanyon wrote:

Do you know if international plan covers Australia? 

PM has no plan or no romaing  covers Australia.

Fongo,  If you are going for 2 months, you are not thinking to port number into Fongo, right?  The best way is to use TextNow instead of Fongo.  TextNow give you text to Canada and US for free.   You can just forward your PM phone to the TextNow number BEFORE your trip and take the PM SIM out once done.  Then all calls will forward to the TextNow number and you can pickup the calls (and make calls) while you are in Australia, as long as you have Wifi or Mobile Data there.  But, text cannot be forwarded, unless some trickier way with app.  So, you would want your friend to text your new TextNow number.  For banking 2FA, setup email to receive (not the best way) or use Authenticator app if they allows (a much better way)

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

For TextNow:

https://help.textnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042516474-How-To-Text-Internationally

Calling And Texting When Outside The US and Canada:

When travelling abroad, you can send and receive text messages to a Canadian or an American number through TextNow if you have wifi available. You'll only be able to call or text Canadian and US numbers, and not numbers outside the US or Canada.

But it's a different number. You can forward your cell number to it. You can put your sim into a phone left at home and on and use an app to forward texts to it. Replying will be the textnow number.

CatCanyon

Seeking clarification on Fongo... can I use my PM cell phone number to text or I'm I locked down to paying for text once I use fongo? Heading to Australia for 2 months... need text for business.  Thanks

CatCanyon

Do you know if international plan covers Australia? 

CatCanyon

Oops! Not diagnose but download...;-) just woke up 

CatCanyon

Does the recipient of the call need the app textnow? All my friends can do this but I speak daily to my 97 year old mother on her land line??? I am going to Australia for 2 months and am looking for a solution for land line. Thanks for the heads up about textnow ... I'm about to diagnose the app.

apvm

If your phone is esim compatible, Airalo is the best option.  https://www.airalo.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

@marilores wrote:

So if I go to Australia, I can buy a prepaid SIM card and replace the Installed Canada SIM ? Do I have to subscribe to an Australian provider to get a Wifi service ?

You can connect to wifi without a SIM installed. But I suspect you're asking about actual cell data service. Yes.

This was one of the original purposes of the SIM card. Portability of the phone. And cheaper for the manufacturer. They make one phone that can be used just about anywhere. Rather than a version of a phone that works in some places.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Best to buy a local sim at your destination or use one of the messaging apps.

marilores
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So if I go to Australia, I can buy a prepaid SIM card and replace the Installed Canada SIM ? Do I have to subscribe to an Australian provider to get a Wifi service ?

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sheriking wrote:

It doesn't sound like PM has a coverage plan outside of Canada/U.S.  We are traveling to the Caribbean in September - don't necessarily need to make calls, I guess the best way to communicate with family back home is through WIFI and using Facebook Messenger or WhatsUp.  Any comments/suggestions?  Thx.

Those apps over WiFi are fine. Depends on how you tend to stay in touch with family/friends and what you mean by "calls". Do you tend to use Skype-like apps like the one you suggested? (Where you're just calling a contact and not an actual number.) Or do you call actual numbers? 

If numbers, I'd suggest either Textnow (as some others did) and Fongo (that's the one I'd recommend, just from my own experience). You'll get a REAL number (separate from your PM number) that's tied to the app. From it, you can make/receive calls as if you were in Canada. Coverage for Fongo is quite good and there are no limits on # of calls, etc; texting is an extra cost, but it's reasonable.

@hycm53 wrote:

@sheriking wrote:

PM has 400 minutes international talk for $15(Add on), but unfortunately it doesn't cover Caribbean. You may try local SIM card.

@hycm53  That add-on only works when in Canada. OP will be in the Caribbean so this is not an option.

Troydurnford
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am traveling to Tokyo and buying a local sim there. Have don’t it a few times before and I works really good and a lot cheaper than getting a international plan. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sheriking wrote:

@sherikingYes, that is agood plan. In addition most of the local providers have kiosks or booths inside/outside the airports that you can stop by and they have prepaid data/minutes plans for short duarations that might be worthwhile to check out.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@sheriking wrote:

As soon as you leave Canada on the way to Caribbean...your Public Mobile service will not work.

I can vouch for TextNow. It's a free app and you can make free calls / texts as long as you have a robust wifi connection. I've used it for my travels and it seems to work just fine.

Safe travels.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@sheriking wrote:

PM has 400 minutes international talk for $15(Add on), but unfortunately it doesn't cover Caribbean. You may try local SIM card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheriking wrote:

I think I've read that some US territories will work like being in the states.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could buy a local sim or use Gigsky sim.  If you have access to wi-fi then you could use Skype, Fongo, or TextNow.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sheriking wrote:

You got it right.  There are no other options outside of buying a local service.  The messaging apps work great provided there is WiFi available.

Need Help? Let's chat.