cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Roaming

cobb87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

Does anyone know if Public has international roaming (outside of North America)?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was thinking the same thing

..how did who do what?

..why did they do that?

..and can I do the same?..😀

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Moogie wrote:

ooooo, how did you do that? Didn't think we could in Canada for G Hangouts...

@Moogie how did who do what?  You didn't really give much context here.  You didn't think we could do what for Hangout in Canada?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Moogie

ooooo, how did you do that? Didn't think we could in Canada for G Hangouts...

Hewi16193

There is no plans as of right now that include international roaming 

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@cobb87 wrote:

That's actually where I'm headed, South Africa. 😛

SA is an awesome place to visit....although one does have to keep one's security in mind.  Keep your passport on you at all times.....if it gets lost or stolen....big problems. 

FYI: As for purchasing a local SIM:

Be aware of something called R.I.C.A. which is a regulation enforced by the Government of SA.   Those who wish to purchase a local SIM will, at the time of purchase, need to supply their passport and proof of where they’re staying during their time in SA.  This is relatively straightforward if you’re staying at a formal place of accommodation; simply print proof of your reservation on a letterhead. However, if staying with friends or in informal accommodation (like a house swap), you’ll need an affidavit from the local property owner or tenant stating that you’ll be residing temporarily at the said address.

cobb87

That's actually where I'm headed, South Africa. 😛

Also, I just found out that you can purchase a Canadian number on KnowRoaming under the 'purchase service' tab. It's only $3. At least I have the call forwarding figured out now. 

koimr1

@skifan wrote:

@koimr1  On a recent to South Africa via Hong Kong, employing Wifi along the way ( at various hotels, coffee shops, etc), I was unable to successfully use Fongo to complete a call.    I modified the various Fongo settings as suggested in their help section but all to no avail.  Accordingly, I would personally be wary of recommending Fongo as an exclusive source of contact in select parts of the world.  

What did work really well, at least for placing calls outbound was using Google Chat,  Before leaving, I added my Canadian cell as the outbound calling ID.  Thus anyone I called could see it was me and not some 'unknown' number which might be ingnored.   Incoming calls are a different matter though so an alternative plan would have to be arranged. 

WhatsApp might be a good alternative as suggested above.

Oh that's too bad. I was able to use Fongo via both wifi and local SIM data last year in Germany/Austria/Hungary/Czech Rep without incident.

If the other choices worked then great! More options to be considered! 🙂

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@koimr1  On a recent trip to South Africa via Hong Kong, employing Wifi along the way ( at various hotels, coffee shops, etc), I was unable to successfully use Fongo to complete a call.    I modified the various Fongo settings as suggested in their help section but all to no avail.  Accordingly, I would personally be wary of recommending Fongo as an exclusive source of contact in select parts of the world.  

What did work really well, at least for placing calls outbound, was using Google Chat Hangouts.  Before leaving, I added my Canadian cell as the outbound calling ID.  Thus anyone I called could see it was me and not some 'unknown' number which might be ingnored.   Incoming calls are a different matter though so an alternative plan would have to be arranged. 

WhatsApp might be a good alternative as suggested above.

edit: Meant Google Hangouts.

jp2

@koimr1 wrote:

@jp2 wrote:

If your plan includes calling to the US I think you should be able to forward to a US or Canadian number but I'm not 100% sure

And @cobb87 too!

Unless something has changed since this post it's still not possible to forward to a US number:

Call forwarding to US phone number

Good catch

koimr1

@jp2 wrote:

If your plan includes calling to the US I think you should be able to forward to a US or Canadian number but I'm not 100% sure

And @cobb87 too!

Unless something has changed since this post it's still not possible to forward to a US number:

Call forwarding to US phone number

jp2

cobb87

Thanks everyone for all your help, really appreciate it.

So even though my plan includes unlimited minutes to the US, I can still only forward calls to a Canadian number?

Thankfully most of my family here does use WhatsApp, and KnowRoaming was awesome for that on a trip in the fall. I just need to be able to access my SMS' since it's also the number for my business. 

But I will look into those apps suggested.

koimr1

@wetcoaster wrote:

Keep in mind that Public Mobile only allows call forwarding to Canadian numbers covered by your plan. (and doesn't offer text forwarding)

Oh that's right, I forgot that - @cobb87 you won't be able to forward to your KnowRoaming number. But you can still forward to Fongo and as long as your KnowRoaming plan has data you'd still be able to get those calls.

Too bad people here in North America don't use WhatsApp - if I recall correctly when I went abroad last year KnowRoaming had free WhatsApp data - I think even one hotel listed their WhatsApp contact info ahead of the usual phone number. 🙂

@cobb87 wrote:

Perfect. Thanks everyone.

I do have a KnowRoaming SIM so I'll most likely have the calls forwarded to that number.

There is no solution for 'forwarding' SMS or receiving them while overseas correct?

Keep in mind that Public Mobile only allows call forwarding to Canadian numbers covered by your plan. (and doesn't offer text forwarding)

koimr1

@cobb87 wrote:

I do have a KnowRoaming SIM so I'll most likely have the calls forwarded to that number.

There is no solution for 'forwarding' SMS or receiving them while overseas correct?

That's correct.

Well... there's apps like Sms Forwarder that claim to do so however you'd need to leave a phone with your Public SIM back in Canada and make sure it stays on. Tasker should be able to do this as well. This is for Android, not sure if possible with IOS.

I don't have any experience with those, however. Luckily I've managed to convince most of my contacts to use something other than SMS for instant messaging (everybody has Facebook Messenger it seems anyway).

cobb87

koimr1

@cobb87 wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know if Public has international roaming (outside of North America)?

Thanks

What @ShawnC13 and @LEGO said. 🙂

The easiest alternative would be to set yourself up with something like Fongo (VOIP app) then, before you leave Canada, forward your number to the Fongo number.

When you are at your destination you can either rely on wifi being available and/or get a local SIM and plan that has mobile data. Also something like KnowRoaming will work too.

This won't help with text messages but it should be able to handling incoming calls to your PM number. You can also call out using Fongo too but your recipient will see your Fongo number on their call display, not your PM number (if that's a concern at all).

LEGO

US and Canada only.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@cobb87 wrote:

Hi

Thanks

No they do not have international Roaming outside of North America

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.