cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

International Roaming

Hi

Does anyone know if Public has international roaming (outside of North America)?

Thanks

Oracle

Re: International Roaming

@cobb87 wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know if Public has international roaming (outside of North America)?

Thanks

No they do not have international Roaming outside of North America

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

US and Canada only.

@cobb87 wrote:

Hi

Thanks

What @ShawnC13 and @LEGO said. Smiley Happy

The easiest alternative would be to set yourself up with something like Fongo (VOIP app) then, before you leave Canada, forward your number to the Fongo number.

When you are at your destination you can either rely on wifi being available and/or get a local SIM and plan that has mobile data. Also something like KnowRoaming will work too.

This won't help with text messages but it should be able to handling incoming calls to your PM number. You can also call out using Fongo too but your recipient will see your Fongo number on their call display, not your PM number (if that's a concern at all).

Perfect. Thanks everyone.

I do have a KnowRoaming SIM so I'll most likely have the calls forwarded to that number.

There is no solution for 'forwarding' SMS or receiving them while overseas correct?

Highlighted

@cobb87 wrote:

I do have a KnowRoaming SIM so I'll most likely have the calls forwarded to that number.

There is no solution for 'forwarding' SMS or receiving them while overseas correct?

That's correct.

Well... there's apps like Sms Forwarder that claim to do so however you'd need to leave a phone with your Public SIM back in Canada and make sure it stays on. Tasker should be able to do this as well. This is for Android, not sure if possible with IOS.

I don't have any experience with those, however. Luckily I've managed to convince most of my contacts to use something other than SMS for instant messaging (everybody has Facebook Messenger it seems anyway).

Mayor / Maire

@cobb87 wrote:

Keep in mind that Public Mobile only allows call forwarding to Canadian numbers covered by your plan. (and doesn't offer text forwarding)

@wetcoaster wrote:

Keep in mind that Public Mobile only allows call forwarding to Canadian numbers covered by your plan. (and doesn't offer text forwarding)

Oh that's right, I forgot that - @cobb87 you won't be able to forward to your KnowRoaming number. But you can still forward to Fongo and as long as your KnowRoaming plan has data you'd still be able to get those calls.

Too bad people here in North America don't use WhatsApp - if I recall correctly when I went abroad last year KnowRoaming had free WhatsApp data - I think even one hotel listed their WhatsApp contact info ahead of the usual phone number. Smiley Happy

Thanks everyone for all your help, really appreciate it.

So even though my plan includes unlimited minutes to the US, I can still only forward calls to a Canadian number?

Thankfully most of my family here does use WhatsApp, and KnowRoaming was awesome for that on a trip in the fall. I just need to be able to access my SMS' since it's also the number for my business. 

But I will look into those apps suggested.

jp2

If your plan includes calling to the US I think you should be able to forward to a US or Canadian number but I'm not 100% sure