cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inept Responder

sprocket
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can someone please tell me how to reply to people's statements or questions on here? lol, Every time I notice someone else replying it contains the person's user name and the original message being replied to but no matter how I try it just doesn't happen or plain won't let me do it.

Seriously, I am not usually this incompetent lol

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SD08 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

After you click on "reply", click on the greyish black reectangle to the top right of the message typing box and click on where it says "quote".  The other person's message will show up so that you can more easily reference what you're repsonding to.

@sprocket Just a further note to that:

If you have enabled "Quick Reply" in your personal settings, using that button when replying will not give you the option to quote the previous message to which you're replying. Only the regular "Reply" button allows that.

Nailed it. I tried it out and quickly realized I couldn't easily do a quote. Right on.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

After you click on "reply", click on the greyish black reectangle to the top right of the message typing box and click on where it says "quote".  The other person's message will show up so that you can more easily reference what you're repsonding to.

@sprocket Just a further note to that:

If you have enabled "Quick Reply" in your personal settings, using that button when replying will not give you the option to quote the previous message to which you're replying. Only the regular "Reply" button allows that.

PMQuickReplyButton.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

And further to all the usual excellent responses...when I started here just last May/June, the quote would also notify the quoted that someone has quoted them. It doesn't do that anymore for some reason.

I usually just use the quote button and clean up things if needed and start typing below the now-orange stripe.

If I actually want to get the attention of the person then I'll tag them. But if they're likely reading the thread then I don't bother. I'll tag sometimes if I do an edit and bring that to their attention.

But it's really important for context and flow of the conversation to put in something. Even just the username as a minimum.

The classic - Yes - ???!!!

this forum isnt easy to deal with if quoting.   its differen than others.

if you get used to it, it will be fine.Cat Happy

NO AT ALL @computergeek541 It was not sarcasm!!! I really didn't know how to do that!!!! I am still learning....

@Lieux wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@sprocket wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to reply to people's statements or questions on here? lol, Every time I notice someone else replying it contains the person's user name and the original message being replied to but no matter how I try it just doesn't happen or plain won't let me do it.

WOW thanks @computergeek541 I didn't know that trick!!!!

I sense sarcasm there.  The question was asked, so I answered it.  Who I am to judge what someone didn't see/notice or couldn't figure out?

@computergeek541 wrote:

@sprocket wrote:

WOW thanks @computergeek541 I didn't know that trick!!!!

maeln
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@sprocket very good question!!! To put the name just to write @ first and the name of the users who have written will appear..... @sprocket.... your @ need to be separate to the others letters...and for the message you can do the control c for copy and control v for paste....

And NO YOU ARE NOT INCOMPETENT...you're learning!!!!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sprocket also, if you want to "tag" someone (like I have with your username here), just type an @ symbol, and it will come up with a list of people that have recently posted in the thread.  Click on a name there to "tag" them.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@sprocket wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.