cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in dead zones

Darrenm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I started with PM in part for the CanadaLine train coverage. Just as the promotions started to increase the number of areas with zero coverage started to appear and keep increasing. 

Increase membership. 

Decrease coverage. 

Why?

18 REPLIES 18

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Darrenm are you still having issues on the Canada Line?  Here's my update from last Thursday (Sept 13):

I parked at the Templeton station (YVR value lot) and rode the train from there through to Yaletown in the monring.  After work, due to all the outbound-trains being super-full, I rode inbound from Yaletown to Waterfront, stayed on the train and rode it the entire length of Waterfront to YVR (didn't do the other leg from Bridgeport out to the malls), met my mother whom I was picking, then rode back from YVR to Templeton to the car.  I was using my phone quite actively through most of the train time, refreshing RSS feeds, opening pages in Chrome to see if they load, sending instant messages and texts, and I didn't encounter any issues. 

Also, despite experiencing loss of signal in the Yaletown-Roundhouse station/platform for a week or two, I haven't had it happen again recently.  So maybe there was a temporary issue going on which Telus has since resolved?  I'd be curious what your recent experience has been, @Darrenm.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren, going above and beyond Guy lol.   Don’t worry, I do it too!

srlawren

So, since this thread went up, I haven't been back at the office so I haven't been in the Yaletown-Roundhouse station or on the platform since.  However, yesterday I did ride the train through, in both directions between Vancouver City Centre and Bridgeport stations. I looked at my signal several times during the trip, and particularly so both times I rode through Yaletown-Roundhouse, and didn't experience any issues.  I'm hoping it was a temporary issue that has been resolved, but will keep an eye on it for sure.  I probably won't be back into the station until Thursday this week but will check it out.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

killer23d
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can use OpenSignal to determine the coverage in the area, and I hope the carrier also use that data to improve coverage.

srlawren

@skifan wrote:
...you're talking about 4G LTE.  Telus only operates on B2 (850MHz) and B5 (1900MHz) on 3G.  

@srlawren  I don't see where the OP indicated what exactly was dropping out....voice which is 3G or data traffic which could well be on the LTE network. He asked for an explanation of why coverage might have decreased.....I offered a possibility.

@skifan well fair enough, but the OP did say " areas with zero coverage " and titled the thread " Incases in dead zones ", so I think it's pretty safe to assume that they're talking about literally NO coverage.  Which means not only no LTE availability but also not 3G to fall back upon.  I can echo that this has been my experience at the Yaletown-Roundhouse station recently as well, I completely lose all signal.  Calls fail, data won't deliver.  

@skifan wrote:

Perhaps we should all take advantage of the present Koodo migration offer, to use VoLTE on the multitude of other supported LTE bands.

This is certainly an option.  If you do so, make sure you order a new phone from Koodo during the process which is in the footnote [1] on this page:  https://www.koodomobile.com/help/voLTE.  Only devices in that list purchased from Koodo directly are supported.  

skifan
...you're talking about 4G LTE.  Telus only operates on B2 (850MHz) and B5 (1900MHz) on 3G.  

@srlawren  I don't see where the OP indicated what exactly was dropping out....voice which is 3G or data traffic which could well be on the LTE network. He asked for an explanation of why coverage might have decreased.....I offered a possibility.

FYI: Freedom has a similar issue...while using data, coverage appears fine until you attempt to make a voice call and you find you are only in range of their LTE network....not the 3g required. Which is why they have also implemented both VoLTE and WiFi calling.

Perhaps we should all take advantage of the present Koodo migration offer, to use VoLTE on the multitude of other supported LTE bands.

killer23d

I don't think the coverage has decrease because it's still Telus's coverage, Telus still operates majority on 1700/2100 MHz. In BC, they are starting to use/refarm Band 5 (850MHz) and how thorough it is, it's hard to say as it is still being deployed. One thing for sure 850MHz means better penetration for indoor and rural areas.

I might be wrong, but I know Rogers is better indoor because it can fall back on lower frequency (band 5 UMTS, band 12,13,17 LTE) for more usable data. It can even roam on Telus without any physical limits (Ext. Coverage).

That also means that because Telus is running a almost full LTE network for data, it will have a speed advantage over Rogers because Rogers is running a mix bag of UMTS and LTE. That is also the reason why my personal phone is still with Rogers because of the ext. coverage and more usable data indoor like garages. My work, in-law and wife are on Bell and Telus network respectively and they have no reception inside the elevator where my phone would drop for 1/2 sec and re-connects to HSPA. I run a smart home and I can operate doors and lights while I am in the elevator.

srlawren

@computergeek541 thanks for the correction!  

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Even with 3G, It does not mean I am wrong.  850 MHZ is getting saturated, so you are bumped to 1900 mhz, but you are too far away from the tower to get 1900 mhz.  There are so many variables, that I could easily be wrong though.  BTW, what do you have for a phone?  Is it a carrier phone, or one of them FOB China phones?

@srlawren wrote:

@skifan wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Since PM use only 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G, there's no refarming going on there.

Actually at the tower closest to the Round House Station (127837)....Telus is offering signal on Bands 2,4,5,7,13,17 & 30.  These encompass frequencies from 700 mhz on up to 2600 mhz.  Which frequency/band your phone may or may not choose ( or even be equipped with) combined with the cell loading, will determine your success on acquiring ( and maintaining) a solid signal.

Telus only operates on B2 (850MHz) and B5 (1900MHz) on 3G.  

Band 2 is actually 1900MHz and Band 5 850MHz, but I'm sure you already knew that.  The funny thing is that I've made that exact same mistake numerous times, which likely has to do with the way it only seems natural to have the lower band number paired with the lower frequency.

srlawren

@skifan wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

Actually at the tower closest to the Round House Station (127837)....Telus is offering signal on Bands 2,4,5,7,13,17 & 30.  These encompass frequencies from 700 mhz on up to 2600 mhz.  Which frequency/band your phone may or may not choose ( or even be equipped with) combined with the cell loading, will determine your success on acquiring ( and maintaining) a solid signal.

@skifan you're talking about 4G LTE.  Telus only operates on B2 (850MHz) and B5 (1900MHz) on 3G.  

skifan

@srlawren wrote:

srlawren

@bridonca @skifan except, we're not talking about a lack of LTE here, we're talking about no signal, including no UMTS 3G at all.  Dead zone.  Since PM use only 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G, there's no refarming going on there.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Technically, you might be on to something, but not the way you think.   I am only guessing here, keep in mind, but if a tower is starting to get saturated, it will start using frequencies that have higher bandwidth, but lower range.  So if the 700 mhz band gets too busy, it will switch over to the 2600 mhz band.  That can be a problem if you are too far away from the tower. 

If you can, see if you can test out your area at a quieter time, like early in the morning.  If it is working fine, you probably do have a tower saturation problem.

skifan

Another possibility is that Telus is 'refarming' their towers in the area with different bands to increase overall capacity.  This should not be an issue for the latest North American programmed phones but older phones or those from other parts of the world may not have some of the those bands enabled.  This would indeed appear as a 'dead zone' to those affected phones.

srlawren

@Darrenm are you having trouble in the Yaletown Roundhouse station?  I've found the past few weeks that I tend to totally lose signal down on the platform for some reason and that never used to happen.  Interesting that it's not just me.

@RobertQc good idea, I'll use NetExp next time I'm down there with a dropped signal for sure.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Darren - where are you located?

What kind of phone do you have?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Darrenm wrote:

I started with PM in part for the CanadaLine train coverage. Just as the promotions started to increase the number of areas with zero coverage started to appear and keep increasing. 

Increase membership. 

Decrease coverage. 

Why?

I am not sure why they would "decrease coverage", I highly doubt this unless the government came along and said excuse me your towers are too strong. Turn them down.

"It’s probably NOT your carrier’s fault

When things like this happen we all love to blame our cell service providers for the poor coverage. The truth is, most of the time it’s not their fault. The culprit is typically something between us and the cell tower that blocks the signal so we can’t get good reception."

Are you sure your phone is not getting old? Or there are more trees? Or grass or dust or bushes? Other towers set up nearby using similar frequencies / more interference / sun solar radiation / emf / atmospheric conditions / vegetation / vehicle insulation / local terrain / man-made obstructions and reflectors etc? Even dust particles in the air from a constriction site can increase dead zones.

But you could be right, either way you can download the app, and report it. Maybe they don't know about this and someone else set something up that is causing issues.

Check this out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telus.tneapp&hl=en

Its called Telus Network Experience.

Need Help? Let's chat.