cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect data usage being reported

scarlett15
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have plan with 1.5GB data and 5GB Black friday promotion data added to it. Total 6.5GB monthly.

As per my usage on online account it is 900MB, but it is showing as 80% used up. 

Please help me on this ongoing issue.

Thank you.

34 REPLIES 34

@Ekao 

You can contact the moderators but did you reset your data counter? Is your data saver on? Background data disabled? WiFi assist turned off? It also takes up to 72 hours for your data to be throttled down to 3mbps. If you disconnected even briefly from WiFi at the wrong time you could easily have used a chunk of data. Go thru your apps to identify the culprit but anything running video is suspect. I suggest you set a low data limit in your data counter that warns you when you've used 50mb and shuts off at 75mb or 100mb so you are notified when your phone starts using mobile data without you being aware of it.

If you still think its incorrect you can send a service request via simon by clicking on the (?) At the bottom right corner of your screen. Type incorrect data usage and human and then follow the prompts to submit a ticket. Alternatively you can send the Moderator_team a private message. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times. Current wait times are longer than usual especially for non urgent issues expect a minimum 2 to 8 hour wait up to 48 hours for a response.

Ekao
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I just signed up today and I didn't even use the phone and already received the SMS text inform me I used 95% of my data.  I checked the data usage and it showed I used 198MB / 250 MB today.  I only signed up less than 5 hours ago and was using wifi the entire time.  Who can I talk to resolve this incorrect data usage issue? 

Starshoot

The 5 GB addon is one-time and single use. Every month, you use your 1.5 GB up first and then it will start using your 5GB add-on. Once used up, the 5 GB add-on will be consumed and not available anymore. 

Hope this helped.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious yes that was a much easier way of wording what I was trying to say 😁😁

@Pawprints1986  The data that MMS uses doesnt count against your data bucket. Data is required to be on to send and recieve these texts but you dont need any data to use the feature.

Pawprints1986

One important key to remember is, for MMS texting, mobile data network is used to send it or receive it, but it doesn't count towards your plans actual data usage... So your phone will measure a bit higher since it counts all data including MMS

I know clear as mud right ? In case that was any part of the confusion 🙂

@darlicious 

Oh okay, good record keeping! The promos were coming fast and furious then with different wording to each one. Ahh, the good old days (With lots of New customer Promos!) Likely irrelevant here anyway as in all likelihood thIs 5Gb add-on will hit zero by then.

@AE_Collector 

The conditions of that promo do not state you will lose the add on if you change plans by either downgrading or remaining at $35+ plan. The promotion immediately following the black Friday promotion does state you must remain at $35+ to keep the bonus data. It was at that time that Alan_k  posted about the change being made that coded promotional data to be tied to plan cost.

fdrcamb519

@scarlett15 

your plan is unlimited Canada calling, yes you can talk and receive calls from Hamilton and any where else in Canada.

@scarlett15 
So if you started with PM in November, 6 months later you have used almost 5 Gb in addition to your monthly 1.5 Gb of data. So you are averaging let’s say 2.25 Gb a month. You may have received a Christmas gift of 1 Gb data as well which has also been consumed though the 400 minutes of calling isn’t showing either so maybe you didn’t log in to claim these gifts by Christmas Day 2019. Your next Plan change up to the 2 Gb $35 plan should almost get you by but you could still run out of data before your plan renewal each month. You may still need to do one of the following:

- attempt to use slightly less mobile data on average.

- use wifi occasionally when it is available.

- buy a 1Gb data add-on every 2-3 months to get you by as your expiring 5 Gb add-on has been doing so far.

- consider moving up to the $40 5 Gb plan which is likely better than buying 1 Gb add-ons every 2-3 months. See how it goes for a few months.

One final note, assuming you aren’t too far into your current 30 day plan as you have only used 1/3 of your included 1.5 Gb of Plan data, you will likely exhaust it and kill off the remainder of the 5 Gb add-on just before your renewal and plan change. Thus you *might* briefly run out of data just before renewal. The 5 Gb add-on likely is forfeited if you change plans but it will likely be exhausted by renewal anyway so probably not worth worrying about. 

AE_Collector

scarlett15

Thank you.

@scarlett15 wrote:

Plan changed to 35$ 2GB from next renewal. 

Thank you all for your timely support and guidance.

One last thing, Can i use my 647 number phone in hamilton to call and receive calls.

going to university in sept....

Yes, you can.

scarlett15

Plan changed to 35$ 2GB from next renewal. 

Thank you all for your timely support and guidance.

One last thing, Can i use my 647 number phone in hamilton to call and receive calls.

going to university in sept....

scarlett15

Thank you all.

I got it now.

I will change to 35$, 2GB plan from next month.

Daps

@scarlett15 wrote:

scarlett15_0-1590275937636.png

scarlett15_1-1590275952439.png

You have already used 1/3 of your 1.5 gb plan data. So you still have about 1 gb left before your next renewal.

Your one time data addon is almost done. You have about 330 mb left. The addon data kicks in when you have exhausted your plan data. As stated in the original promo announcement, the 5 gb data addon is one time only and does not renew... https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/NEW-OFFER-2nd-Month-Free-BLACK-FRIDAY-S...

@scarlett15 if you look under data used. that's how much you've consumed

scarlett15

scarlett15_0-1590276328955.png

@scarlett15  It appears that the 5GB was a one-time add-on not monthly and you have already used it up.

If your promo stated that you will get a 5GB bonus every 30 days then contact the moderator team for help by using the ? Bottom right of your screen.

@scarlett15 

No need to contact moderator.  

the 5GB Black friday add on  is only a one time add on.  Once you use it up, it is gone.

See details from promo:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/NEW-OFFER-2nd-Month-Free-BLACK-FRIDAY-S...

536/1536 MB is what is left on your monthly regular data cycle.  

Not sure why you got the 75% warning.  Maybe the combination of the 5GB data add on and regular monthly 1.5 gb add on?

If you wanted to, there is a special promotion with the $35 plan. You will get 2 GB data instead of 1.5 GB per month.  Just change your plan at the next renewal.  

@scarlett15 looks like you've used up about 90%of your 5gb add on if pm is calculating total data then yes you are about 75% 

@scarlett15 you 1.5 Gig is used first, then the Black Friday kicks in when your monthly data is used up. Do you leave your data on in the background or do you turn it off each time it's not in use?

Don't forget, the Black Friday carries over to the next month, until it is all used up. It DOES NOT get resets to Zero. One time offer!

@scarlett15 wrote:

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@scarlett15 , log in to your self serve account and scroll down to My Data & Add-Ons and see the amounts below. For a detailed view of usage, click on View My Usage

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 4.18.22 PM.png

A new window will open:
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 4.19.34 PM.png

Now, look at what is 80% is used up? If you think that's an error, look at your phone. Is your data left on if so, it could be eating data in the background, like updating an app? 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@scarlett15  Dial *611 from your device and select the add-on usage option. The data usage reported includes your plan data plus any add-ons that you might have. What is it currently reporting?

scarlett15

@scarlett15 hi your 75% message is on your plan data not including your 5 gig bonus😁

scarlett15

apologies it was at 75%...

sending screen shot soon.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@scarlett15 wrote:

I have plan with 1.5GB data and 5GB Black friday promotion data added to it. Total 6.5GB monthly.

As per my usage on online account it is 900MB, but it is showing as 80% used up. 

Please help me on this ongoing issue.

Thank you.

@scarlett15   When you say ongoing issue exactly what do you mean?  Has this happened before?  Also I believe you got the 5GB bonus as long as you didn't change plans but from your post that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Sometimes certain apps on the phone are the problem.  Make sure that your apps only update on wifi and also restrict background data.

You might need to get the moderators to take a look so better submit a ticket via SIMon here: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

@scarlett15  it looks like you got an errant message. PM 611 notifies you at 75 and 95% of data use.  Not 80%. Stay safe. 

Daps

@scarlett15 wrote:

Thank you for response.

but on online account it shows 6.5GB total data....

Login your account to take a look. If you want to post a screen shot here without your private info, we can help explain it.

@scarlett15 wrote:

Thank you for response.

but on online account it shows 6.5GB total data....

@scarlett15 

Can you screenshot your overview page, with the data tracker information?  Omit any personal information.  

Need Help? Let's chat.