cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I do not use my phone for few months, what would be the best way (paying least)to keep the number

HHZ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I understand I can turn off auto payment, then without pay for 89 days then pay lowest plan like $10 per month plan for one month,  then after one month, let the phone go without paying 89 days for one month... then 89 days...   Is this the best way to keep phone number and pay least?

Also, can I purchase "Add-on minutes without base plan?  

I just use phone very casually, for emergency onlys.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

@stonechucker wrote:

This post is already marked solved (1st reply).

Why are you continuing to comment here?

P.S. Is there a reason you are being so selective and commenting on my post that is actually providing useful information?

I post so little, relatively speaking, yet I do not see you commenting on all the dozens and dozens of replies that simply repeat answers that were just posted only a few posts earlier, adding nothing to the conversation. A good example is this thread (with over 125 replies), which I know you have followed: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FLASH-SALE-Activate-any-25-mo-plan-and-...

Seems rather targeted... 😕

@stonechucker wrote:

Because this just got marked as a "solution" but the "solution" selected is inaccurate and I believe anyone reading this should be made aware of the full set of options and implications. 

Is that a problem that others should be made aware that this is not the correct and complete info?

@Psygineer wrote:

@HHZ wrote:

I understand I can turn off auto payment, then without pay for 89 days then pay lowest plan like $10 per month plan for one month,  then after one month, let the phone go without paying 89 days for one month... then 89 days...   Is this the best way to keep phone number and pay least?

Thanks

What you described is pretty much the only way to go about it. After 90 days your account is gone, so a payment once every three billing cycles is about all you can do. As for the add-on, someone else will have to answer that.

Actually, turning off AutoPay is one way but it is not always the best way. For a complete and up-to-date review of all your options and the implication of each, please read the following:

When and How to Suspend or Place an account on Hold (Extended absence, etc)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@manmohan wrote:

I believe you can purchase an add-on without a base plan, but it wont do any good because you need the base plan to get service.

Maybe one could technically but why bother indeed. If you have no service then the add-on won't work.

But could be a test to see what happens. Have suspended service and see if it lets you buy an add-on.

manmohan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I believe you can purchase an add-on without a base plan, but it wont do any good because you need the base plan to get service.

@srlawren wrote:

@HHZ please see here for the best guide to what you're looking to do, courtesy of community member @Luddite :  Luddite's Extended Absence

Actually, turning off AutoPay is one way but it is not always the best way. For a complete and up-to-date review of all your options and the implication of each, please read the following:

When and How to Suspend or Place an account on Hold (Extended absence, etc)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@HHZ please see here for the best guide to what you're looking to do, courtesy of community member @Luddite :  Luddite's Extended Absence

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@HHZ For your usage as emergency situation, it may be a better off to use Speakout under 7Eleven. You can have $25 prepaid card and good for a year.

I’m interpreting the question to be what the least expensive way to have no service for maybe 3, 4 or 5 months and then when things are back to normal the level of use is very minimal, almost emergency only service. Obviously having service for a month and then not paying for almost three months is a dangerous form of emergency on service!

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, Speakout charges $1.25/month 911 fee. Texts are .15 each. If it s just to hold the number, it could work. 🙂

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@HHZ 

It sounds like you are looking for 7-11 Speakout pay-as-you-go at 30 cents/minutes.  Minimum topup is $25 and expires in 1 year.  If you topup before 1 year, the remaining fund will be rolled over to next year.  There is a fixed $1.25 charge per month.  It costs your $15/year to keep your phone number.

You cannot buy add-on minutes if you don't have a active PM plan.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, You have your phone for "Emergency Only".  Only to dial 911?

A cell phone without a SIM or plan can call 911. Hangouts or Whatsapp (any many others) can be used to talk and text on WIFI for Free.

For a bit of Talk/Text the $10 plan is cheap. With autopay on -$2. So $8x12months=$96 per year. Refer a few friends to Public Mobile and  it will be even less.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@HHZ wrote:

Thanks

@Triguy is right the add-on need to have a plan....And this solution with no payment will not allow you to call or text!! Just to keep your phone number and account. The best way for an emergency phone is to have the 10$ plan and pay for it every 30 days!Smiley Happy

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Switch to $10 plan for 3 months and you could always change plans. I think you need a base plan in order to get the add-on.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@HHZ wrote:

Thanks

What you described is pretty much the only way to go about it. After 90 days your account is gone, so a payment once every three billing cycles is about all you can do. As for the add-on, someone else will have to answer that.

Need Help? Let's chat.