cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I signed up for public mobile june 25th and i have plan E. This includes unlimited picture messaging

sarah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

but NO DATA. When i go to txt a picture it is asking me to TURN ON MY MOBILE DATA. As far as i know, this involves paying. Please help.

23 REPLIES 23

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi sarah,

The apps that came installed when the phone was purchased brand-new will not be erased.

Assuming you're the first and only owner of the phone, everything that you placed on it will be deleted, except any upgrades of the operating system. Upgrades will be left unaffected.

sarah

thank you for the information.

when i do this reset, does ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING get erased, including the apps that came automatically installed with the samsung phone?

or just my pictures, videos, and apps *i* added?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi sarah,

It was you, not I, who suggested the factory reset. You asked how it was done, and I replied by suggesting that you google certain terms.

That said, thank you for questioning why it would be effective. Just because it worked for one or two posters doesn't mean that it would work for you.

The theory behind opting for a hard factory reset is that all possible solutions have been tried, but without success. As a result, the last option is a hard factory reset. In deleting everything placed on your cell from the day it was first purchased means that any incompatibilities with MMS will also be deleted. Once the factory reset is done, the APN must be recreated.

If you're not familiar with recreating APN, I strongly encourage you to become familiar with how it's done, before doing a reset. The first step in learning how it's done is having access to the post, APN Settings, to which you made reference either yesterday or the day before.

Beyond that, google "how to create APN in a Samsung S3".

I hope that this has answered your question.

sarah

why would this reset solve this problem

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi sarah,

Google the following: samsung s3 hard factory reset. There are numerous articles explaining the process.

Remember that a hard factory reset is a measure of last resort because it will delete EVERYTHING placed on your phone from the day that it was purchased brand new. As a result, if your photos, videos, phone contacts, documents, etc. are important to you, make sure that you back them up prior to starting the reset process.

sarah

how do i factory reset my phone? (samsung gallaxy s3)

Deebaby7474
Factory reset your phone and then put apn it works

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi sarah,

With regard to your phone's inability to send an MMS, do you have MMS in your APN types? If not, please include it.

Concerning Tethering and Mobile Hotspot, that should work in order to enable a data connection. Your Wi-Fi, as you noticed, was automatically turned off. Data and Wi-Fi cannot function at the same time.

My phone, which I'm using to type this reply, is about to run out of battery power. I need to fully recharge it, which will take until about 12 noon EDT.

If you have any additional questions until then, feel free to post them and another responder will reply.

Thanks for the second Bravo. Much appreciated like the first one!

Cheers.

sarah

@Martin

thank you martin about the data question.

As for tethering, when i go into APN TYPE, a window pops up and i have 3 options to check

- Internet + MMS

- Internet

- MMS

I do not see where i can add ,dun.

My phone is Samsung Gallaxy S3.

Playing around with the settings ive found something called TETHERING AND MOBILE HOTSPOT.

When i enter it, there is an opton to TURN ON "Mobile hotspot," which automatically turns off my WiFi.

I am not sure if this is related to fixing the tethering setting.

I have done the other APN setting steps (not the tethering one), my Mobile Data is ON, yet i cant send pictures in text.

P.S. About my Settings, to enter APN, I do not click on something called "Wireless and Networks" on my phone, but "More networks." Maybe this is relvant info. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi sarah,

With regard to MMS and data, I can assure you that any data used for MMS, FB, Viber, etc. is free. Why free? Public Mobile operates only on a prepaid basis. There is no billing after the fact.

As far as tethering is concerned, go to Settings ..... Wireless & Networks ..... More ...
Mobile Networks ..... Access Point Names ..... Mobile Internet ... APN Types. Add ,dun to APN types.

The above tethering instructions are based on my Android-based Moto G.

Thank you for the Bravo. Much appreciated!

Cheers!

sarah

@Martin

First, I have done this and followed these instructions:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/APN-Access-Point-Name-and-Tethering-AP...

I am set for the APN, but as far as the Tethering APN, I am not sure where to go on the phone to set that up. (how do i get to these settings).

Second,

When i turn on Mobile Data, and i look at my Data Usage, I see it registering that I have used KBs for FB,Messenger, Viber, and all sorts of other things. This is not MMS, and as i understand, only MMS is free. To make sure with you, do i  just ignore what it's saying here about me using KBs for internet (outside of MMS), leave Mobile Data on all day, and never be charged? 

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@sarah, Like I said in my above post and I will say it again with Public Mobile & Koodo PREPAID there are no overages or any Pay Per use charges what so ever.

Martin
Legend
Legend

sarah,

Since you do not have data in your plan, you can keep it on to ensure that you receive an MMS as soon as it is sent. In light of it being an MMS, there is no charge for the data used in sending or receiving them.

As far as settings are concerned, enter APN in PM's search engine. Look for the post whose subject is APN Settings. In the mobile version of this site, the search engine is identified by the magnifying glass at the top left corner. In the full or computer version, the search engine is the rectangular box at the top of the right portion of the page.

I hope that my response has helped you.

Cheers!

sarah

And just to confirm what i think everyone is saying here, i can leave MOBILE DATA ON, all day all night all the time, and never be charged for  anything?

sarah

hello! 

I enable mobile data, but it still doesnt work, so i imagine it has to do with the settings like a poster in this thread suggested.

i am looking to find the settings i need to adjust to make MMS work.

I just now switched to public mobile, from kudoo

sarah

(in reference to makhan's reply)

sarah

What are the correct settings?

Casey_G
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi @sarah, did you figure out how to send an MMS? If not, let me know if I can give you more information. We are always here to help! Cat Happy

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sarah wrote:

but NO DATA. When i go to txt a picture it is asking me to TURN ON MY MOBILE DATA. As far as i know, this involves paying. Please help.

Like other have mentioned in order to send MMS also known as PICTURE Messaging you need to enable Data. With PM there are never any Pay Per use or overage charges so go ahead turn it on.

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

yes Data enabled but seeing how this is prepaid and all if you arent paying for data you will have no worries about using it for anything else.

Just if you are wondering!

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire
Hi. That is Correct. Data MUST be Switched on to Send MMS

burkely
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I think it should also be said, that folks without a data plan, need to have data turned ON in order to send/receive picture messages??? Correct me if I'm not correct? I know this is the fact with my daughters phone, mind you she's with Koodo, but can't see it being any different.

Maybe @Cyber and @Martin can chime in on this one?

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Hi. Picture txt is part of regular Canada-Wide,MMS to be exact

Also, If your Phone's APN (Access Point Name) settings are NOT set to PM's settings, You can't send MMS txts, so check and see.

Need Help? Let's chat.