cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I saw plans from US carriers, and believe Canada requires drastic measures

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I saw some Plans from some US carriers, like VM USA, $50, Unlim Talk + Text and 5 GB Data

AT&T, Prepaid, $60 gives all, + 5 Gig Data, Roll Over Data

Honestly, I believe Canada's Telecom really needs to do something, as fees in Canada will only get worse, and it may reach a point where having phone plan becomes a lux, sadly.

Wished some of the US carriers came to Canada as well, or Canada having more than 4 per region, like having 8 per region, that may help keep fees in line, honestly.

Having only 3 Carriers, or 4 in certain Provs, does require more executive thought

5 REPLIES 5

crazyfrog
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Couldnt agree more with the person above just said.

Mobile prices are atrocious here in Canada for the servcies we get. My birth country INDIA has lot of carriers with very affordable plans and prices. I guess it also goes hand in hand with the consumption numbers to bring down the price.

Hopefully some day those days can be seen here in Canada. CRTC is more like puppet in the hands of the Big 3.

One thing to feel good about was the arrival of PublicMobile 2.0 with a tad bit of flexibility not compromising too much on the quality of mobile service.

Hang in there my friend.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
I'm sure you read about the huge stink the big three raised when Verizon was thinking of entering Canada. Something about massive job losses. Expect nothing less from an oligopoly. You complain to the crtc about something and force them to change? They will spend their time making you pay more in the end for inconveniencing them with regulations.

Just wait until the 600mhz spectrum auction ramps up... It will be the new "Beachfront property" of wireless. The big three propaganda machine will be going 150% 24/7. Billions will be spent and prices will rise to pay for it.

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@savage698 wrote:
Unfortunately the bureaucratic red tape regarding foreign ownership of Canadian telecoms will scare off any American entrants, look at the issues Wind has faced since its inception. The whole industry needs a shakeup as far as regulations go, but until then, I'm pleased with PM.

Problem is that this could have been easily solved if CRTC allowed mandated tower access to full independent MVNOs, this would really bring in competition. It's weird to see CRTC mandate access to landline Internet access via cable and DSL but not for cellular access...

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Not complaining too much, PM is certainly great, BUT, if Canada had 8 Carriers per region, that could help in many aspects, and possibly offer new ideas to reinvent the Canadian Telecom Industry as a whole.

Like, If Canada had 8 carriers per region, and PM had a top plan: example, of Unlim Canada Talk + Global Txt and 5 GB for $ 55 per 30 day, w. roll over data, and other stuff.

Because, in my opinion, If our Gov allows this to continue, eventually either PPL may not be able to afford ANY Mobilie services of any kind, or a total Collapse

savage698
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Unfortunately the bureaucratic red tape regarding foreign ownership of Canadian telecoms will scare off any American entrants, look at the issues Wind has faced since its inception. The whole industry needs a shakeup as far as regulations go, but until then, I'm pleased with PM.
Need Help? Let's chat.