cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received this email from Koodo on some nonsense thing, in my Yahoo email

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I received this email from Koodo, and I find this very irritating, almost like phishing

Is it a policy for this kind of expedition?Koodo Nonsense ver.2.JPG

38 REPLIES 38

@Cat_L wrote:

Hi @kav2001c,

I hear what you're saying and I think that many Public customers will agree with you and stay with us, that's why this program is a choice and not mandatory.

While Koodo does charge for some services, they also have physical stores and device purchasing options, which we do not. Some legacy customers might want those things and since we're not able to meet those expectations, we thought that extending the same rate plans on Koodo would appeal to those customers. 

Cat_L

@Cat_L I was a bit angry when I wrote my initial response, but it does seem clear that agents acting on behalf of Koodo are not being transparent at all

I'm not really against letting clients move, but I suspect many will do it as dealers out to make a quick commission take advantage of them

@will13am wrote:

I a newish customer and so I have no experience with legacy support.  Perhaps some transparency is required when enticing customers to switch services.  Often these things are one sided, with only the positives being highlighted.  As always, the customer has to understand the implications of change themselves and not rely solely on others.  I took that approach myself when transitioning to Public Mobile.  It started with one account, learning from that experience and then moving other accounts over as the comfort level grew. 

I have seen these shenanigans twice before

Once when Bell was rolling Solo clients off to Virgin / Bell

And more recently when Rogers was forcing Mobilicity to Chatr (and a late option for Fido when some clients refused)

Telus has a huge issue with network migration back in the day but since then they have played nice which is why I have such a big problem with what is happening now

Cat_L
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi @kav2001c,

I hear what you're saying and I think that many Public customers will agree with you and stay with us, that's why this program is a choice and not mandatory.

While Koodo does charge for some services, they also have physical stores and device purchasing options, which we do not. Some legacy customers might want those things and since we're not able to meet those expectations, we thought that extending the same rate plans on Koodo would appeal to those customers. 

Cat_L

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am wrote:

In the ideal world where every bit of service is metered by payment, it does make sense.  Koodo allows customers to do their own transactions online for free.  Things that you can do yourself but elect to have them do it for you is a chargeable item.  Effectively, they are strongly encouraging customers to use self serve.

But @will13am understand how this is being positioned to Public clients

Those of us here are using online support only and legacy does have access to call in and ask anything

Telus (through Koodo) is pitching it to Public that they will get "better" support on Koodo plus keep Public pricing

What they seem to not mention anywhere is the ridiculous fees you get for phone support on Koodo (it literally costs you $5 for calling in to them)

I a newish customer and so I have no experience with legacy support.  Perhaps some transparency is required when enticing customers to switch services.  Often these things are one sided, with only the positives being highlighted.  As always, the customer has to understand the implications of change themselves and not rely solely on others.  I took that approach myself when transitioning to Public Mobile.  It started with one account, learning from that experience and then moving other accounts over as the comfort level grew. 

@Mana wrote:

Oh, I didn't know that Kodoo charge for customer support!!

why would anyone wanna join kodoo then, even new customers?

Because Koodo lets you port out of province numbers for promo plans Cat LOL

@will13am wrote:

In the ideal world where every bit of service is metered by payment, it does make sense.  Koodo allows customers to do their own transactions online for free.  Things that you can do yourself but elect to have them do it for you is a chargeable item.  Effectively, they are strongly encouraging customers to use self serve.

But @will13am understand how this is being positioned to Public clients

Those of us here are using online support only and legacy does have access to call in and ask anything

Telus (through Koodo) is pitching it to Public that they will get "better" support on Koodo plus keep Public pricing

What they seem to not mention anywhere is the ridiculous fees you get for phone support on Koodo (it literally costs you $5 for calling in to them)

@Mana wrote:

Since Telus is the parent of both Koodo and Public Mobiles, you see the same culture in both services.  Public Mobile discount model is even more aggressive than Kooodo where you don't even have an option to calling anyone.  It is 100% self serve.  Moderators intervene for issues that customers cannot do on their own.  For this, our monthly fees are the lowest possible. 

This model is not for everyone.  Some people covet customer service and are willing to pay for it.  For those of us who are seeking value and willing to give up 611 support, Public Mobile is the perfect landing spot. 

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

What's Even More Annoying Is That They Typed Like This With Everything First Letter A Capital! How Annoying Is That, Not To Mention It Comes From A Gmail Account. That's Totally Sketchy To Not Have The Email Come From A More Official Source. Smells Like a Phishing Email!

Okay, I'll stop typing like that... but annoying for sure, and I would totally have been thinking this was spam. I agree with @makkahn28 @Rockdaddy22 about this being disappointing. @Cat_L I too think these emails are sketchy, and think PM should express their disapproval to TELUS. Yes it's in their rights to contact us, but in the age of phishing this is TOTALLY unnacceptable!!

@Cat_L wrote:

I also share your worry regarding some of the content in the email you received. From the poor grammar to the excessive capitalization, I can see why you would ask yourself if this is a real email from Koodo. What concerns me the most is that it says that we are merging the brands, which is not the case. I want to reassure you that TELUS is committed to growing Public Mobile – we are not going anywhere!  This promotion is an offer for loyal Public customers who signed up with us when we had stores and a call centre and we want to ensure that they remain well served by us, and if we’re not meeting their expectations, that they have a choice to join our sister brand, Koodo.

Again, thank you for bringing this forward so we can address it and I apologize for the irritation the email caused.

Cat

@Cat_L I am quite confused (and concerned) about your statement above

How is migrating any Public clients to Koodo a good thing?

The legacy Public clients (who signed up when you had stores and kiosks) enjoy free call centre support, whereas Koodo BILLS THE CLIENT FOR EVERY CALL

Public has no overage / extra charges which again Koodo does

I had not seen anything about this but am questioning how this helps existing clients? (To the contrary, it seems like it would help out the brand new clients more than the legacy ones)

???

Cat Sad

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying this @Cat_L.

so how are the loyal customers defined? Are these the customers who qualified for phone support?

and is this a good thing for those customers?

Thanks @Cat_L, But here's the kicker, the email was sent to my Yahoo, I never divulged my Yahoo email info, and more importantly, I never even had a Koodo Account, Telus yes, But was under my parents name, kinda strange, But nonetheless, at least the info has been clarified.

Go Team PM

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @Cat_L, this was a very concerning issue.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Just what we needed to read!  @Cat_L, thank you for your update 🙂

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Thank you for the much needed update @Cat_L

Cat_L
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @makkahn28,

Thank you so much for flagging this and I’m sorry that it was an irritating end to your day yesterday. I can see why the email would concern you and also confuse you, so I will do my best to explain why you got it.

We do have an offer on right now that allows select legacy Public customers to move to Koodo. This campaign is being communicated through an SMS from Public, an email from Koodo, and calls from Koodo Authorized Dealers to those customers who are eligible.

That said, it looks like the email you received came from a Koodo Authorized Dealer who used to be a Public Mobile Authorized Dealer and has had your email address since then. Emails from Koodo Authorized Dealers are not part of our communications plan so we have contacted that specific Dealer and communicated that sending emails like this one to customers is unacceptable.

I also share your worry regarding some of the content in the email you received. From the poor grammar to the excessive capitalization, I can see why you would ask yourself if this is a real email from Koodo. What concerns me the most is that it says that we are merging the brands, which is not the case. I want to reassure you that TELUS is committed to growing Public Mobile – we are not going anywhere!  This promotion is an offer for loyal Public customers who signed up with us when we had stores and a call centre and we want to ensure that they remain well served by us, and if we’re not meeting their expectations, that they have a choice to join our sister brand, Koodo.

Again, thank you for bringing this forward so we can address it and I apologize for the irritation the email caused.

Cat

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I am considering deleting my Yahoo all together such a joke...1 billion accounts hacked *sigh*

It was my first web based Email address really only kept it for sentimental value and well SPAM of course.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

I agree that it does look suspicious but on the other hand if PM and koodo's customer database are merging in the background then they may have all our Emails that we use here at PM. 

A10A
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looks off & seems suspicious, I would just ignore this. Plus you said you never gave them your Yahoo email. 

I agree with @makkahn28 and also what I suggested before, regardless of the fake email or anything, instead of us guessing, it would be nice if PM staff or mods can clarify. 

And i am not sure if a merger is a good or a bad thing in this case. 

I agree with @makkahn28 

The email is clearly not from Telus or Koodo or PM.

it is either a franchaise, not corporate, store, or a scam artist.

PM is not merging.

If PM and Koodo merge, I'm gonna lose my shyster, Losing my temper, Telus doing something that Rogers did with Mobilicity, that would be the ultimate betrayal.

Sorry, just saying what I feel is seemingly likely the end of Public Mobile

I hope PM can clarify this, as I feel this requires attn to

The gmail address is suspicious. 

But out maybe a PM staff can clarify if here's a merger coming up, just like mobilicity and chatr recently. 

@SWM, I am being very serious, no joke.

If this is from a Corporate or Franchisee store, well, that's a BIG No No

@jeremyesq Your most recent post is what I'm referring to....

i think it could be a frnchaise store, and not Koodo the company,  or someone attempting to pretend to be a franchaise.

Following up with corporate Telus or Koodo to investigate would answer that question.

SWM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@makkahn28, I don't know if you are being serious or not in thinking this is actually real. This is clearly a fake and should be tossed in your spam folder immediately. 

Yeah, BUT still, some PPL might be tempted to take the plunge.

That's not right. 

Not sure why Koodo would send such a awkward proposition, poaching from the same tree, kinda funny, yet very serious indeed

jeremyesq
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Even if this deal was legitimate, current Koodo customers would cry foul. After all, they pay extra to have access to kiosks, a call centre, a good phone app, and potential discounts (ie. activation credits, bonuses) on phones.

Yup

Need Help? Let's chat.