cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some help with setting up a Samsung Rugby 2

Pita
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi I am new at posting questions, hope this is the correct way.  I am trying to help a friend with switching from Bell to Public Mobile.  I put in the unlock code, and a PM sim card but I see in the settings everything seems still tied to Bell. He cannot access internet or get picture texts.  I have tried a factory reset and still things tied to Bell and same problems.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

alexano

Hey Pita, no worries, you're in the right place. Setting up a new carrier can be tricky sometimes. So, you've punched in the unlock code and swapped the SIM card, but the Samsung Rugby 2 is still clinging to its Bell roots, huh?
First off, kudos for the factory reset attempt – that's the usual go-to move. If it's still Bell-centric, let's dive a bit deeper. Check for any Bell-specific apps or settings hiding in the nooks of the phone. Sometimes they linger post-reset.
Next, go manual. Dig into the APN (Access Point Names) settings in your network settings. Public Mobile has specific values for data and MMS. Google 'em, plug 'em in.
Now, my personal anecdote – I've seen a similar hiccup with an old Samsung. After APN tweaking, a restart did the charm. Phones can be finicky, you know?
Give that a shot, and hopefully, your friend will be texting pics and surfing the web on Public Mobile in no time. And a separate tip from me personally, if you run into any technical issues, Andersen has some great tools that can help simplify the process (it has saved me more than once). Check them out for additional support.

Pita

@ShawnC13

@Carld123

@Lilbriwn870

Thank you all for the help I really appreciate it. I have 2 more things to try if they don't work I will suggest he get a newer phone.

I hope you all have a Great Day

Lilbriwn870
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Pita to check that, you must go to the messaging app and go to the mms Setting from there, if you google how it'll show you step by step!!

Pita

@ShawnC13  @Carld123  @Lilbriwn870

Thanks for the assistants.  I have updaed the APN settings except  cannot find where to check that the mms port is 80, it is not showing in the settings.  Should I again try a factory restore again?

Thanks

Shirley

Lilbriwn870
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You're going to have to change your apn settings. You can just google pm apn and it'll guide you in how to do so!

Pita

Thanks for the guidance. He used his Bell # and it seems it is still using Bell settings

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pita wrote:

Hi I am new at posting questions, hope this is the correct way.  I am trying to help a friend with switching from Bell to Public Mobile.  I put in the unlock code, and a PM sim card but I see in the settings everything seems still tied to Bell. He cannot access internet or get picture texts.  I have tried a factory reset and still things tied to Bell and same problems.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

@Pita

Youve got the community posting figured out..😀 as for the phone...did you port from bell? ie..use the bell number..or is it a new activation and the phone still uses bell settings?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Pita wrote:

Thanks

Here is a great site to setup your APN and instructions on how to do it.  Find the APN Settings for Public Mobile here!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.