cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a new phone

Susan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I need to buy a new phone but want to continue using my existing plan.  I was told today by one of Public Mobile reps that I just have to purchase a new unlocked phone and insert the existing sim card in it.  I went shopping for a phone, and apparently my sim card is a bit too large to fit the new phones.  The clerk told me that I could get the card cut to fit.  Is this safe to do??  Please advise.  I need to do something SOON.

10 REPLIES 10

But then, the @Chucky doll certainly knows how to put on one Heck of a Show, LOL

Perhaps @Martin

Martin
Legend
Legend
Susan,

You're welcome! I was glad to help.

Now that you have a cut-to-size SIM card, why not order a free PM card, indicating the size needed?

Remember that, upon receiving a new card, the new SIM card number must be entered in your online account to ensure network connectivity. After entering the new number, restart your phone. In some cases, connectivity takes up to 60 minutes, though, in my 2 cases, a connection was present immediately after rebooting.

I'm not saying that a cut card is problematic; it's just my personal preference that a properly sized card be used.

A responder, chuk, will no doubt bash my preference as bovine **bleep**, but, in the spirit of democracy, PM allows aggressive and boorish language.

Susan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks so much  for your post.  It was very helpful.  I bought a new unlocked phone and the people I bought it from even cut the sim card to fit.  All working well so far.

Martin
Legend
Legend
chuk,

Actually, I knew it was you. Before I hear the heavy breathing, there's an operator intercept that says "Lotus Land Calling".

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^OK since you say confession is good for the Soul. I confess its me that been calling you at 12:13am Vancouver Time.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Griff,

FYI, my post was going to be the same, word for word, as yours.

Are you the heavy breather who calls me every Tuesday at 3:13 am?

(Confession is good for the soul.)

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Another device that I'd like to recommend is the second generation Moto E, it's relatively new and can be purchased at TELUS as a prepaid package for $150. It's similar to the first gen Moto G which seems to be a fairly popular phone with the community. 

It would take a micro SIM, I assume you have a standard as of now, if you follow the replacement steps that @Cyber posted you may receive a Tri-Punch SIM card meaning that the SIM is pre-cut in such a way that it can be made larger or smaller to fit any SIM capable device, this way if you change devices again in the future and require an even smaller size you should be safe.

If you want to purchase a mid-grade phone with some fairly decent specs and good bang for your dollar, Staples has Moto G 2nd Gen, which is $249.95 b4 tax. Telus online is the prefered route, but you'd have to wait for phone to be delivered. If you want an economically affordable handset, WalMart, Best Buy Prepaid selection is ok in that, but selection varies and may or may not be to your liking.

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@Susan,

To get a new smartphone that will work on Public Mobile, you have to purchase a phone unlocked or locked to Telus/Koodo.

I suggest you Telus (online only), Staples, Best buy, Costco, Walmart or other small cellullar stores.

To receive a free SIM card replacement in the correct size for your new phone, you must send an email to Public Mobile. Follow these steps : "replacement SIM card"

We hope that you will be back ASAP on Public Mobile !

Need Help? Let's chat.