cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I heard Koodo is Rolling out the VOLTE, and WIFI Calling, Hopefully Public will enjoy as well

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I hope Public will eventually be able to Fully enjoy and experience the same peripherals Koodo is also experiencing.

Public shouldn't be Second Best

Or Second Class

10 REPLIES 10

@Luddite, mostly yes. The packets are prioritized on the network. During congestion, VoLTE calls take precedence over other sessions, but the Big 3 networks are generally not congested.

The network can also switch the call to 3G if you lose LTE coverage, which is again rare these days.

Also, VoLTE calls don't count towards data usage, so it would help callers with heavy usage.

In terms of call quality, better codecs are constantly coming out, so I'd expect VoLTE-to-VoLTE quality will surpass over-the-top (OTT) VoIP quality in the future, especially in areas with lots of background noise.

VoLTE should also have better cell edge performance compared to OTT VoIP. There are signal enhancement techniques employed on the eNodeB (like uplink CoMP and TTI bundling) that can improve VoLTE coverage.

@sheytoon wrote:

Luddite, @srlawren, the guaranteed bit rate (GBR) reserved for VoLTE calls is operator dependent, usually around 50-100 kbps.

Thanks. So pretty much peanuts on bandwidth requirements. So it's real "claim to fame" will be that it's more dependable than current voip services?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite, @srlawren, the guaranteed bit rate (GBR) reserved for VoLTE calls is operator dependent, usually around 50-100 kbps.

@will13am

Despite what Telus says, any compatible iPhone that is updated with the latest carrier software would support VoLTE, regardless of where it was purchased from. This is one of the few times I'm happy about Apple's way of doing things!

How about "the total bandwidth required to transmit each voice channel would be 24kbps"? 

http://www.erlang.com/bandwidth.html

i.e. same as VOIP.

My understanding is that call quality is totally dependent on the Quality of Service algorithm givin highest priority to voice packets. Otherwise, it can be worse than current 3G call quality.

As I do not have the technical knowledge for a proper evaluation I have been assuming carriers like it because it will save them money. Robot LOL

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

Those with 3G plan but connected to LTE network, will the volte work?  

Should do.

@Luddite well I'd assume the technical capability is there, and 3Mbps should be more than enough bandwidth for a voice call I'd assume [though I've never checked what min speed VoLTE needs].  However, we have no idea (a) if PM will ever offer it, (b) if so, when, and (c) whether or not they would allow the "3G" speed plans to access the feature.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@MoreYummy wrote:

Should do.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@makkahn28, why does it even matter?  You do realize that it takes two to tango.  Suppose Public Mobile enables LTE today.  Would your phone play nice with this new feature?  According to Telus, there are only a limited number of phones that will work with VoLTE and these phones must be Telus sourced according to the article.  Never mind complaining about Public Mobile not being ready to push the button, are you ready on your end if the button was pushed today?

https://www.telus.com/en/sk/support/article/about-volte

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

S8 plus 😃

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@makkahn28 PM isn't second best, it's third best.  

1. Telus

2. Koodo

3. Public Mobile

And yes, that's the order it should be.  Sorry if you don't like that but this is how the brands are tiered.  

And yes, Koodo is rolling it out, very late to the party as usual.  It's only on a few phones currently (iPhone 6 and newer, plus LG V30), and of those, only units which the customer purchased directly from Koodo (presumbly or by Telus).  FYI, Fido, for comparison, offers VoLTE up to any compatible phone on it's networrk.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.