cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: I got scammed!

@88cranston wrote:

Also to port a number don’t you have to have the PM account number and name address etc?

What about police or CTRC contact too. 

CRTC won't take this case. Disputes need to go to CCTS.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What's so disappointing is that PM warned me someone has request to port the numbet and I clearly said I never made such a request. I also said this could be a scam.

They clearly had time to decline the porting request yet they just let this happen and won't do anything to fix the problem. 

So disappointing. 

Mayor / Maire

@88cranstonThere is no yes to answer to. The Public Mobile message is informational.

Mayor / Maire

@elnino82 

At this stage report to: http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm

Make sure your banks know your number has been compromised. Any account that uses your "old phone number" as verification will need to be reset. Do it ASAP because you are liable for any amount stolen from your bank account!! reference here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/banks-deny-compensation-online-fraud-security-1.5322982

Bell is the most common method to SIM jacked because their SIM cards only cost $4 and their smallest plan is equally cheap.

In the future, as with anything Public Mobile make sure you have a back up plan. DO NOT use your phone number to authenticate EVER! Use an Authenticator app or a physical key like a Yubikey for your 2FA needs.

Unfortunately if you want to stick with Public Mobile, you will need a new SIM card and email address to attach to your account.

Tags (1)
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@elnino82  The telus porting department number (which supposedly handles bell as well...) is 1 877 868 3587 perhaps they can shed some light on the problem and as the account holder and you have the required information for verification ( acct #, pin, IMEI and ph#) they should be able to release information to you. I hope this helps...as a recent victim of identity fraud the spoofing of my number, attempts to break into my voicemail to retrieve verification codes was relentless and they were successful in stealing my reward points which were only accessible thru the same verification process as my bank baccounts...so they got very close. It was only thru my own diligence that they only got that far. Follow up with not only bell, pm, telus's fraud departments but your banks, the Canadian fraud centre and put a fraud alert on Equifax and trans union credit reporting agencies just to be safe. I was so glad I did 24 hours after having my purse stolen. Apparently up until yesterday I "have" requested 17 different credit cards and 3 phone (contract+device) lines in the past six weeks. Wishing you the best of luck in your situation.

Mayor / Maire

@cellphoneuser1CCTS doesn't handle SIM jacking. Besides they only accept disputes that had been resolved.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@GinYVR wrote:

@cellphoneuser1CCTS doesn't handle SIM jacking. Besides they only accept disputes that had been resolved.

I don't agree. If the port out was unauthorized, Public Mobile should have declined it. There must also be a way to reverse a port.  

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cellphoneuser1  @elnino82  @GinYVR  There must be a procedure for this...is it not unusual that pm sent out the questioning text? They must have already thought something was suspicious as who else has gotten a text from their provider while porting out their phone number? I've never heard or seen it mentioned ever in the community "You may recieve a call or text from your provider confirming your choice to port out your phone number."  @elnino82  What number did pm text you from? There is obviously a case of fraud here as it's an unauthorized port and it's important that both bell and pm take this seriously...the onus is on them to do so and if necessary @Alan_K  should have this on his radar. Unfortunately when it comes to local police this kind of fraud is very low priority and other than taking a report there is very little they will do.

Mayor / Maire

@cellphoneuser1CCTS' mandate is to settle disputes between consumer and the telco. If the complaint is defined as "out of scope" the commissioner will just reject the complaint then there will be no recourse. Best to read up on their procedural code.

Oracle

@elnino82 wrote:

What's so disappointing is that PM warned me someone has request to port the numbet and I clearly said I never made such a request. I also said this could be a scam.

They clearly had time to decline the porting request yet they just let this happen and won't do anything to fix the problem. 

So disappointing. 

The porting process is automatic.  All customers have access to the porting feature.  There is not much that Public Mobile can do to pre-empt this.  After the fact, an unauthorized number port can be investigated and potentially corrected.  What is strange to me is that anyone would even attempt this.  There is a cookie crumb trail leading right to the door of the perpetrator.