cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got scammed!

elnino82
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So, here's the story.

Around 10 am, Public mobile texted me whether I made the porting request and I told them I never request the porting.

I didn't received any reply to my message so I thought it is probably fine and PM didn't authorize the porting.

Around 1 pm, my phone lost the signal and I couldn't make a phone call.

I messaged the mod again, and the mod said someone ported my number to Bell.

Mod also said there's nothing they can do to stop the porting and I lost all my rewards.

Has anyone experienced this type of scam before?

What should I do?

Should I report to police?

I'm so pissed that I lost all my rewards and my phone number.

Please help.

46 REPLIES 46

@cellphoneuser1  @elnino82  @GinYVR  There must be a procedure for this...is it not unusual that pm sent out the questioning text? They must have already thought something was suspicious as who else has gotten a text from their provider while porting out their phone number? I've never heard or seen it mentioned ever in the community "You may recieve a call or text from your provider confirming your choice to port out your phone number."  @elnino82  What number did pm text you from? There is obviously a case of fraud here as it's an unauthorized port and it's important that both bell and pm take this seriously...the onus is on them to do so and if necessary @Alan_K  should have this on his radar. Unfortunately when it comes to local police this kind of fraud is very low priority and other than taking a report there is very little they will do.

@GinYVR wrote:

@cellphoneuser1CCTS doesn't handle SIM jacking. Besides they only accept disputes that had been resolved.

I don't agree. If the port out was unauthorized, Public Mobile should have declined it. There must also be a way to reverse a port.  

@cellphoneuser1CCTS doesn't handle SIM jacking. Besides they only accept disputes that had been resolved.

@elnino82 

At this stage report to: http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm

Make sure your banks know your number has been compromised. Any account that uses your "old phone number" as verification will need to be reset. Do it ASAP because you are liable for any amount stolen from your bank account!! reference here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/banks-deny-compensation-online-fraud-security-1.5322982

Bell is the most common method to SIM jacked because their SIM cards only cost $4 and their smallest plan is equally cheap.

In the future, as with anything Public Mobile make sure you have a back up plan. DO NOT use your phone number to authenticate EVER! Use an Authenticator app or a physical key like a Yubikey for your 2FA needs.

Unfortunately if you want to stick with Public Mobile, you will need a new SIM card and email address to attach to your account.

@88cranstonThere is no yes to answer to. The Public Mobile message is informational.

elnino82

What's so disappointing is that PM warned me someone has request to port the numbet and I clearly said I never made such a request. I also said this could be a scam.

They clearly had time to decline the porting request yet they just let this happen and won't do anything to fix the problem. 

So disappointing. 

@88cranston wrote:

Also to port a number don’t you have to have the PM account number and name address etc?

What about police or CTRC contact too. 

CRTC won't take this case. Disputes need to go to CCTS.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

So scary, be careful when answering any text massages and phone calls

That’s why you should never first say “yes” on the phone and maybe a text. Especially if the number calling you is spufyed. Ie. caller says can you hear me...you say yes.....then they make some binding sales pitch that you decline but they alter the recording and splice  in that first “yes” you said. It is happening!

Also just read today the telecoms have some plans to knock down spufyed caller ids. 

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So scary, be careful when answering any text massages and phone calls

88cranston

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@elnino82 wrote:

So, here's the story.

Around 10 am, Public mobile texted me whether I made the porting request and I told them I never request the porting.

I didn't received any reply to my message so I thought it is probably fine and PM didn't authorize the porting.

Mod also said there's nothing they can do to stop the porting and I lost all my rewards.

What should I do?

Please help.

You need to contact the moderators again. With an unauthorized number port out, your carrier (Public Mobile in this case) is required to fix this and to reverse the process.  I would consider this an accidental service cancellation in which the "Wireless Code" requires that your services be restored.

+1.  To cover all the bases, I suggest contacting Bell to see what they can tell you about the party that ported your number out.  As for the loss of rewards, not sure you are going to get any satisfaction.  Been there, experienced the pain thrice.  

Great idea. But Bell will probably say for privacy reasons...........bla bla bla

If you contact Bell contact their fraud or security. Do ditto with PM. 

Also to port a number don’t you have to have the PM account number and name address etc?

What about police or CTRC contact too. 

Is your number in some one else’s control put you into jeopardy....ex, work, financial?

Did you phone your number? Whoever else calls your number and what will be said. I feel uneasy for you. I would  firstly do my damnedest to have the number suspended from service!

kelseyzzzz

@elnino82 wrote:

So, here's the story.

What should I do?

Please help.

This happened to me once with Telus, but it was an error on their part because they ported over the wrong number.  Contact Bell right away and they will be able to tell you if it was an error or intentional fraud.  Good luck!

Lar

@elnino82   Lots of information on SIM scammers at

https://www.maketecheasier.com/sim-card-hijacking/ 

@Dunkman wrote:

@elnino82 

Also, be extra careful.  Your Sim may have been hijacked.  Scammers may use your cell number to access your other online accounts (ie. banking, etc.)  Monitor your online accounts.....

This is certainly a possibility.  Many banks, credit card issuers, and companies use call display as one identity verification technique.  However, because of number porting and number spoofing, that's very easy to fake.  As for stealing a phone number, someone doing that to would be useless at my bank unless they also have my banking information. A 2FA security code is useless without the login credentials.

@elnino82 

Also, be extra careful.  Your Sim may have been hijacked.  Scammers may use your cell number to access your other online accounts (ie. banking, etc.)  Monitor your online accounts.....

@computergeek541 wrote:

@elnino82 wrote:

So, here's the story.

What should I do?

Please help.

You need to contact the moderators again. With an unauthorized number port out, your carrier (Public Mobile in this case) is required to fix this and to reverse the process.  I would consider this an accidental service cancellation in which the "Wireless Code" requires that your services be restored.

+1.  To cover all the bases, I suggest contacting Bell to see what they can tell you about the party that ported your number out.  As for the loss of rewards, not sure you are going to get any satisfaction.  Been there, experienced the pain thrice.  

@elnino82 wrote:

So, here's the story.

What should I do?

Please help.

Need Help? Let's chat.