cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a SIM from eBay

timjason
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I bought a SIM from eBay as it was cheaper and all I had to do was put in a referal code when I signed up. My signup ran into a generic error and I can't login using my creditials.

My old number has been port forwarded to public moblie and there is charge on my credit card for the plan I checked on signup.

The eBayer is holding my number and SIM hostage. I recommended so many alternatives to him such as picking up in person after paying 10 dollars, mailing in the money, or paypal transfer but he only wants eTransfer which I'm not comfortable doing since I dont know the security risk of doing so. He uses fake emails like love____@majormailprovider.com

Can an admin help me? Since Public has no customer support. I can pay for a new SIM my number needs to be portforwarded to it.

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23

@timjason wrote:

Yes. I has good experineces on eBay. But the seller knowing my unque SIM card number is problem I didn't think about. I try to solve this issue with him over weeks, offering any other method of payment than eTransfer to cover the cost of the sim which is 11.13 dollars. He refused to take anything but eTransfer.

Please at least suspend your service.  

timjason

Yes. I has good experineces on eBay. But the seller knowing my unque SIM card number is problem I didn't think about. I try to solve this issue with him over weeks, offering any other method of payment than eTransfer to cover the cost of the sim which is 11.13 dollars. He refused to take anything but eTransfer.

@Nezgar wrote:

Seems some people didn't comprehend all the details, so I'll clarify:

• eBay seller provided a referral code, and the SIM card number to the buyer
  • Buyer sets up new account using the referral code and SIM card number provided by the seller
  • Seller does not ship the physical SIM to the buyer until they see the referral code used.

It's a little out of the norm, I see what the scheme is, but there's no personal account info being given to the seller. The only risk is if the seller withholds shipping the SIM card if the buyer doesn't use sellers referral code.

Exactly!! 

This seller is likely dishonest or there needs to be more communication.  

As said in my previous post their are many many honest eBay sellers. 

For the folks here that disapprove of eBay sellers....I would ask if they have ever used eBay?

I have bought over 300 items on eBay and very very very rarely have had no delivery without a full refund. And when it happened I may have lost 5 bucks which over the long haul is a drop in the bucket vs all the savings I have had. 

@darlicious wrote:

@timjason  Firstly contact the moderators by clicking on the (?) At the bottom right corner of the screen to submit a ticket via simon explaining your issue. Type account specific issue and then type human and follow the prompts to submit your ticket. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of the screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times.

When you activated you were sent the SIM card number? Then once entering the referral code and sending the "fee" you would be sent the actual sim card? You need to first gain access to your account. If you cant figure out the email the moderators will help by using other info from your account to identify you. If you have to send a private message include the number ported, temporary number if used, email you think you used, name, address, dob, alternate pm # if any, payment amount, type, date, last 4 digits, security question and answer.

Since you don't trust this person you can just go to a retail location buy a new SIM and have the moderator enter it or enter it yourself once you gain access to your account. Put it in your phone and reboot. You're all good to go.

Slow down there!! The buyer should first suspend service as you say. If eBay seller won’t comply then that is a separate issue to deal with. Buyer now has to find another SIM card “in hand” suck up the loss, register the new SIM card, get PM up and running and have a life experience.  

But just to add their are numerous good and very very very honest sellers on eBay and Craigslist.  And on the other hand I have experienced many many many dishonest and incompetent BUYERS on eBay. I am sure there are a few others here that can attest to that! This seller may have misjudged the buyer (or seller truly is dishonest and won’t last) and their maybe some more communication required. And if that does not work, report the seller and ask for refund.  But first step is to get the account in order and on to using PM🙂🙂🙂

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Like others have said.... Buy your sim card from PM or a store that sells them. When you activate it online... Use a referral code to get $10 back, which is most of the cost of the sim card. The person referring gets $1. off each month as long as your a pm customer. Every PM customer would love to share their referral code.

SIM fraud is a real threat. All they need your unique SIM number to compromise your phone number (or rather your phone subscriber account, along with any personal or payment information attached to it) for as long as the SIM is active. They could mess you up right away, they could wait months or years.

It might not seem important, but your SIM card number is basically the key to your entire identity as a mobile subscriber.

Scams on ebay are an endless threat. But at least all they want is your money. And maybe your payment information, if they can convince you to volunteer it.

Both of these risks can be entirely avoided by purchasing SIM cards directly from the carrier or from one of the carrier's affiliated authorized retailers. A factory sealed new SIM, never used and never seen by anyone else. Chance of scam is "low" but consequences of scam are "high" (or even catastrophic), so $10 is a small price to pay, you could regret the hassles you bought just to save five bucks.

@timjason 

You can report the scam to ebay/paypal, flag the scammer, appeal for a refund. You might be able to reverse payment on paypal/bank/credit/etc. You can report the scam (with a link to this thread, and the referral code used) to PM, they might be able to assist you, they might choose to take action to shutdown the scammer's PM account(s), and they might be concerned about opportunists exploiting/devaluing their brand at the cost of PM customers.

Unfortunately, if you did a number port then I think you've probably lost the number forever.

Click here to send a Private Message to the Moderator Team

@geopublic wrote:

@Nezgar  There is a big issue if the Ebay customer (due to lack of knowledge or better judgment),  activates the card and sets up a port of his/her number at the same time and the seller doesn't deliver the sim for whatever reason.

The point is why even bother with the scheme. Not worth the hassle just go to Walmart and get a free SIM.

Ah yes, in the case of porting-in your number at the same time, that is definitely a security concern. Regardless, I fully agree with you this is greasy.

@Nezgar wrote:

• Buyer sets up new account using the referral code and SIM card number provided by the seller
  • Seller does not ship the physical SIM to the buyer until they see the referral code used.

It's a little out of the norm, I see what the scheme is, but there's no personal account info being given to the seller. The only risk is if the seller withholds shipping the SIM card if the buyer doesn't use sellers referral code.

@Nezgar  There is a big issue if the Ebay customer (due to lack of knowledge or better judgment),  activates the card and sets up a port of his/her number at the same time and the seller doesn't deliver the sim for whatever reason.

The point is why even bother with the scheme. Not worth the hassle just go to Walmart and get a free SIM.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@timjason wrote:

Hi,

I bought a SIM from eBay as it was cheaper and all I had to do was put in a referal code when I signed up. My signup ran into a generic error and I can't login using my creditials.

My old number has been port forwarded to public moblie and there is charge on my credit card for the plan I checked on signup.

The eBayer is holding my number and SIM hostage. I recommended so many alternatives to him such as picking up in person after paying 10 dollars, mailing in the money, or paypal transfer but he only wants eTransfer which I'm not comfortable doing since I dont know the security risk of doing so. He uses fake emails like love____@majormailprovider.com

Can an admin help me? Since Public has no customer support. I can pay for a new SIM my number needs to be portforwarded to it.

Thanks

Note: For all new potential customers it's best to avoid Ebay sellers that will activate a sim card on your behalf. Also if you decide to go that route never port in your current number by providing the Ebay seller your personal info.

It's best to go to Walmart or LD (when they have the free sim card promo) and activate your sim card there with a temporary number . Most of the time the sim card is free.

Ask for a referral here if you don't have one and provide it during your activation to get an additional one-time $10 OFF credit.

Once you register for your selfserve account then setup your number port-in yourself by using the change phone number option.

Easier, safer and cheaper way of doing things!!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@timjason , put in a dispute with eBay and PayPal.  This is dangerous having you account held ransom by a total stranger like this.  Lesson to everyone else contemplating going through hoops to score a cheap SIM card, beware the perils when something goes wrong.  

@timjasonThen you have to get the moderators to help you set up your account. Try accessing it again.

timjason

yes. I used private mode on firefox. It seems everything else except account creation worked.

I did get the generic error message on the next form after my paymet details

@timjasonOk just wanted to make sure you are good on that part. So what happened with the email you used? Have you tried accessing your account with a clear browser in secret/incognito mode?

timjason

I havent done that. I mean I don't think its scam or fraud. Since he was willing to help if I eTransfer instead of paypal or inperson pickup or mail cash. I checked all my emails. I use different ones for banking and other stuff. I also have differnt birthdate for bank and other stuff. I also use sort version of my name for other stuff. So I'm not too worried about bank.

@timjason           What happens when you call your phone number?

timjason

Yes. I was send the SIM number and referal code. I though great deal and bought it. He has positive reviews on eBay but I'm still not comforable sending him a eTransfer when he has to use paypal for eBay. 😕

@timjason  Right now that"ebayer" has access to your phone number if the port went thru...thus access to any financial info you may have associated with your phone number. I strongly suggest since you cannot access your account you phone your financial institution/access your accounts to check for any unusual activity.

@timjason  Firstly contact the moderators by clicking on the (?) At the bottom right corner of the screen to submit a ticket via simon explaining your issue. Type account specific issue and then type human and follow the prompts to submit your ticket. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of the screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times.

When you activated you were sent the SIM card number? Then once entering the referral code and sending the "fee" you would be sent the actual sim card? You need to first gain access to your account. If you cant figure out the email the moderators will help by using other info from your account to identify you. If you have to send a private message include the number ported, temporary number if used, email you think you used, name, address, dob, alternate pm # if any, payment amount, type, date, last 4 digits, security question and answer.

Since you don't trust this person you can just go to a retail location buy a new SIM and have the moderator enter it or enter it yourself once you gain access to your account. Put it in your phone and reboot. You're all good to go.

timjason

I did not. His referal link didn't work either although I did put it in. Therefore he will not send me the SIM I paid for.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

This is the wierdest thing that I have ever seen here  @timjason . Did you receive a Welcome email from PM?  If you got one, then that's the email to use when using the forgot password link. Clear your browser history,  go to incognito/ private mode, and type in the email address (Don't copy amd paste it).  Check both your junk folder and inbox for the answer. Thanks.

Once you get in, use the lost/stolen phone feature to suspend your service. Then buy a replacement SIM card.  Use the change SIM card feature , take it off lost/ stolen, and restart your phone.

@timjason wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

timjason

Edit: I did try the forgot password option. The email I signed up with doesn't exist.

I get: Sorry, we’re unable to verify your email address. 

Need Help? Let's chat.