cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop scam calls???

Ab555642
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Every single day, I receive scam calls from area codes ''855'' and ''866''. Literally every day. How can I stop them? I reported them multiple times to the CRTC but nothing happens.

I'm not aware of a PM feature that would allow me to block numbers.

Help?

11 REPLIES 11

naddude
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Actually it is now a CRTC requirment that all mobile carriers provide a block at source or filter method free of charge to all users. So Public Mobile where is your solution? 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/crtc-call-blocking-1.5401057 

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think this is similar to what @Anonymous does, but it's got a visual. Coincidentally I just posted this in another similar thread, but it's applicable here.

I was also getting a lot of spam calls from certain area codes, so I created a "Spam" contact. In that "Spam" contact, I added in phone numbers that had only the area codes that were constantly calling. See screen shot.  Then I went into my phone settings and blocked this contact.

IMG_7186.jpg

I was pretty skeptical of this solution, but honeslty, the number of spam callers from these numbers is now nill, whereas previously I was getting several per hour. Maybe give this a go -- I hope it works for you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dpodca wrote:

If you have an iphone you can block the number by going to your "Recents" list of calls and clicking on the "i" info icon to the right of the number you want to block.  This will bring up the info screen on the call.  Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click "Block this caller".  If they're calling everyday, it won't take long for you to block them all for good!

Great info for other readers. The OP said they have a Blackberry.

dpodca
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you have an iphone you can block the number by going to your "Recents" list of calls and clicking on the "i" info icon to the right of the number you want to block.  This will bring up the info screen on the call.  Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click "Block this caller".  If they're calling everyday, it won't take long for you to block them all for good!

@oliviabondy wrote:

To help stop the bogus calls and texts from getting through, you can put your phone number on the federal Do Not Call registry via its website. You can also do this by calling the registry at 1-888-382-1222 from the number you want to protect.

Blocking numbers t won’t completely stop scam calls, but if there’s a particular number that keeps calling you, it’s fairly easy to block it forever.

There are also a number of apps out there you can download to help block these scam calls from coming in. Browse the app store and read reviews. I have heard good things about them but have never used one personally that I can recommend. 

When I put my number on the DNC list when it was first introduced, the spam calls I received actually tripled essentially overnight. It felt like I had put my number on a "Please call me" list.

I had to take matters into my own hands to at least weed out repeat callers, using @Anonymous's approach. I'm using the "send directly to voice mail" feature of my dialer. While I need to keep a fully functional VM box for business reasons, I hardly get spam recordings.

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This video might be able to help Smiley Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-tRnbxI8A4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ab555642 wrote:

I have a Blackberry Z30, so, unfortunately, no Android.

Well howdy 'bout that...another Z30 user.

The following is what I do. About the only real effect is that I don't hear a ring.

Create a contact called p1$$ off or something. I used Block Number.

Set the notification for those calls to not do anything.

Junk call comes in. Add to contact. Keep doing that. I have upwards to 40 numbers now in that contact.

The number calls again. It will light up on the phone. It will show in the hub and the little notification icons. But you didn't hear it (or see it if your phone isn't in sight).

Then...this might not be relevant to you as most people would probably prefer to use the service. I have another more main number. I use the extended absence greeting on the PM phone and choose the option of not letting people leave a message and in the recording telling them that they can leave a message on that phone (without giving the number of course)

It's just a fact of modern life. I never press any buttons when any call comes in saying to press a button to do something. I'll do a human survey though. If a human calls as a junk call I tell them to remove me from their calling list. I believe that works. But nor do I keep track. With that human, don't give or verify personal information.

I know it's drastic, but how do you feel about changing your number ? You can do that by logging into your account and clicking on My Profile / Change Number. Good luck.

oliviabondy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

To help stop the bogus calls and texts from getting through, you can put your phone number on the federal Do Not Call registry via its website. You can also do this by calling the registry at 1-888-382-1222 from the number you want to protect.

Blocking numbers t won’t completely stop scam calls, but if there’s a particular number that keeps calling you, it’s fairly easy to block it forever.

There are also a number of apps out there you can download to help block these scam calls from coming in. Browse the app store and read reviews. I have heard good things about them but have never used one personally that I can recommend. 

Ab555642
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Blackberry Z30, so, unfortunately, no Android.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Ab555642, no service provider offers options to block specific callers.  You will need to manage this on your own.  What phone do you use?  I use android phones with the stock Google dialer.  Google keeps a database of crowd sourced spam numbers.  You can set up the dialer to block calls.  I find it to be quite effective.  Here's some information on the dialer.

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/3459196?hl=en

Need Help? Let's chat.