cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

@srlawren wrote:

@Korth most of the spam callers are not in Canada and do not give a rat's behind about the do not call registry.  

Regarding your advice around changing your phone number and keeping it close to your chest:  I'd say "don't bother".  These companies use automated dialers to bulk dial anything and everything.  Chanigng your number might keep them away temporarily, until your number shows up in their next block of numbers to dial.  

@srlawren  Absolutely agree, changing numbers may help temporarily, but there's no way to stop these auto-dialers from eventually start spamming that number too.  Thankfully, blocking these calls does provide some relief from these nuisance callers.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

@88cranston wrote:

@AmethystWolfie wrote:

Depending on what phone you have, there may be something in the settings where you can silence calls from unknown numbers and they get sent directly to voicemail.

For example, my iPhone has this setting under:

Settings -> Phone -> Silence Unknown Callers

But regardless of which phone you have, you should be able to select the number that called and add it to your blocked contacts list.

Hope that helps!

Keep in mind that can be a bit rash to do. As unknown callers is based on a number not in your contacts list. So if someone obtained your number to call you for a family emergency.....you have blocked the caller. 

They will not be blocked automatically, just sent to voicemail Smiley Happy

Again, this is one solution

Mayor / Maire

Too bad TrapCall isn't available in Canada - because the CRTC, CWTA, and OPC collectively shut it down back in 2012 (and have tacitly kept it shut down ever since).

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My other phone line has something called "universal call blocking." wil be implemented soon. I'm sure PM will folow.  Just  be patient.

XXXXX is the name of other mobile company. 

Implementation of universal call blocking.

Please note that starting November 4, 2019, XXXXX  (along with the entire Canadian telecom industry) will gradually implement universal call blocking in an attempt to prevent telephone fraud. Non-compliant numbers could therefore be blocked starting on that date.

Mayor / Maire

@westottawa

You're circumspectly referring to Lucky Mobile's Universal Network-Level Call Blocking (UNCB).

It caught my attention a few weeks ago. I've learned that it's been mandated by the CRTC, there's a compliance deadline all the telecoms must meet, and Lucky (Bell) is already there. The conspicuous lack of proudly advertised brag suggests that Telus (and Public) is not there yet.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-484.htm

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/phone/universal-network-level-call-blocking

My other line is with QC based provider, not Lucky. Don't worry, PM will do it . Just be patient. 

Hi Everyone!

Thanks a lot for avices and comments.

I have blocked 5-10 numbers and seem no more phone calls.

I have accepted best answer as a solution!

Cheers!

I have had the same issue with previous service providers. Most service providers recycle the numbers we get. So they are always in telemarketers system. With texting being used more than phone calls, its annoyng to get those phone calls. I decided to answer the call and ask them to remove me from their call list. I have noticed a decrease in calls over the couple of months I've been with PM.

food for thought.......

I google the number and add them to my block list