cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

I would change the phone number if it's that bad, unless you are very attached to it.

If you want tu keep your number, there are apps that cloud help

Any suspicions how it started.

 

Mayor / Maire

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks


@tigranh wrote:

How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks


There's no way to stop these callers, but you can ignore them as much as possible.  But, if your phone settings allow, block these callers, that way they can still call but you won't hear then calling and you will not need to respond. 

 

You will find eventually there will be fewer calls but you will still receive them from time to time.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

Honestly no suspicious how. any trusted program for IOs?

Thanks

Mayor / Maire

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks


@tigranh wrote:

Honestly no suspicious how. any trusted program for IOs?

Thanks


Unfortunately, I don't have any useful information on iphone settings, although I don't see why there wouldn't be an option to block these callers. 

 

On my android phone, you simply bring up the caller and select the 3 dot menu and there is an option to block the caller.  Do you have anything similar on your phone?

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

With the technology available to these scammers, I am thinking that the only way to prevent this is to not own a phone. 

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

Unfourtunatly, if they are really bad and bothersome, you'll have to change your number to stop it. Your number has already been passed around, its either ignore them or change your number Smiley Sad

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks


@dabr wrote:

@tigranh wrote:

Honestly no suspicious how. any trusted program for IOs?

Thanks


Unfortunately, I don't have any useful information on iphone settings, although I don't see why there wouldn't be an option to block these callers. 

 

On my android phone, you simply bring up the caller and select the 3 dot menu and there is an option to block the caller.  Do you have anything similar on your phone?


 

 

So on an iPhone. Not sure if you can PREVENT a scam call. And the DNC registry has its flaws.....like why would CRA or MICROSOFT INDIA respect it? 

 

So. 

1. Make sure you have contacts on your phone 

2. Any call that shows a number only, be suspicious 

3. Any call with an unrecognized name also be suspicious, especially if not in your contacts. 

4. Accept or decline the call

5. Either block the caller from future calls or ad the number to your contacts list. 

6. And, if you want, also google the number on 800 Notes....great info there. 

 

See here, various blocking types on Apple products.

Mayor / Maire

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks


@breanna1928 wrote:

Unfourtunatly, if they are really bad and bothersome, you'll have to change your number to stop it. Your number has already been passed around, its either ignore them or change your number Smiley Sad


Changing numbers doesn't stop these kinds of callers, although it might be useful if the number was previously owned by someone who was having collections agencies going after them, then changing numbers would help. 

 

These callers are on auto-dial programs, so eventually all numbers will get called by them.  All you can do is try to manage/block/ignore stratagy as much as possible.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks


@88cranston wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@tigranh wrote:

Honestly no suspicious how. any trusted program for IOs?

Thanks


Unfortunately, I don't have any useful information on iphone settings, although I don't see why there wouldn't be an option to block these callers. 

 

On my android phone, you simply bring up the caller and select the 3 dot menu and there is an option to block the caller.  Do you have anything similar on your phone?


 

 

So on an iPhone. Not sure if you can PREVENT a scam call. And the DNC registry has its flaws.....like why would CRA or MICROSOFT INDIA respect it? 

 

So. 

1. Make sure you have contacts on your phone 

2. Any call that shows a number only, be suspicious 

3. Any call with an unrecognized name also be suspicious, especially if not in your contacts. 

4. Accept or decline the call

5. Either block the caller from future calls or ad the number to your contacts list. 

6. And, if you want, also google the number on 800 Notes....great info there. 

 

See here, various blocking types on Apple products.



7.  Also add pics of who is callling you most frequently into your contacts. That pic will show when your phone rings. 

 

You CAN trust the iOS blocking feature. It is NOT an add-on APP. 

 

Build up your blocking list. For my home phone we have hundreds of numbers blocked. Some numbers are, although legitimate, as scammers also spufi legitimate numbers. One time a scammer called me from MY number! Grrrrr!