cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

tigranh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How to prevent phone scammers calls, last three days I got a bunch of calls. Thanks

29 REPLIES 29

Rabscuttle255
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I google the number and add them to my block list

tcopes

I have had the same issue with previous service providers. Most service providers recycle the numbers we get. So they are always in telemarketers system. With texting being used more than phone calls, its annoyng to get those phone calls. I decided to answer the call and ask them to remove me from their call list. I have noticed a decrease in calls over the couple of months I've been with PM.

food for thought.......

tigranh

Hi Everyone!

Thanks a lot for avices and comments.

I have blocked 5-10 numbers and seem no more phone calls.

I have accepted best answer as a solution!

Cheers!

westottawa

My other line is with QC based provider, not Lucky. Don't worry, PM will do it . Just be patient. 

@westottawa

You're circumspectly referring to Lucky Mobile's Universal Network-Level Call Blocking (UNCB).

It caught my attention a few weeks ago. I've learned that it's been mandated by the CRTC, there's a compliance deadline all the telecoms must meet, and Lucky (Bell) is already there. The conspicuous lack of proudly advertised brag suggests that Telus (and Public) is not there yet.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-484.htm

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/phone/universal-network-level-call-blocking

westottawa

My other phone line has something called "universal call blocking." wil be implemented soon. I'm sure PM will folow.  Just  be patient.

XXXXX is the name of other mobile company. 

Implementation of universal call blocking.

Please note that starting November 4, 2019, XXXXX  (along with the entire Canadian telecom industry) will gradually implement universal call blocking in an attempt to prevent telephone fraud. Non-compliant numbers could therefore be blocked starting on that date.

Too bad TrapCall isn't available in Canada - because the CRTC, CWTA, and OPC collectively shut it down back in 2012 (and have tacitly kept it shut down ever since).

AmethystWolfie

@88cranston wrote:

@AmethystWolfie wrote:

Depending on what phone you have, there may be something in the settings where you can silence calls from unknown numbers and they get sent directly to voicemail.

For example, my iPhone has this setting under:

Settings -> Phone -> Silence Unknown Callers

But regardless of which phone you have, you should be able to select the number that called and add it to your blocked contacts list.

Hope that helps!

Keep in mind that can be a bit rash to do. As unknown callers is based on a number not in your contacts list. So if someone obtained your number to call you for a family emergency.....you have blocked the caller. 

They will not be blocked automatically, just sent to voicemail Smiley Happy

Again, this is one solution

AmethystWolfie

@srlawren wrote:

@Korth most of the spam callers are not in Canada and do not give a rat's behind about the do not call registry.  

Regarding your advice around changing your phone number and keeping it close to your chest:  I'd say "don't bother".  These companies use automated dialers to bulk dial anything and everything.  Chanigng your number might keep them away temporarily, until your number shows up in their next block of numbers to dial.  

@srlawren  Absolutely agree, changing numbers may help temporarily, but there's no way to stop these auto-dialers from eventually start spamming that number too.  Thankfully, blocking these calls does provide some relief from these nuisance callers.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth most of the spam callers are not in Canada and do not give a rat's behind about the do not call registry.  

Regarding your advice around changing your phone number and keeping it close to your chest:  I'd say "don't bother".  These companies use automated dialers to bulk dial anything and everything.  Chanigng your number might keep them away temporarily, until your number shows up in their next block of numbers to dial.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

I kept getting calls from numbers in my area code and exchange but with a different last 4 digits.  

For me, I know to avoid any calls with the same area code and first 3 numbers after the area code. I'll sometimes even answer and hang up on them.  I know that won't prevent future calls, but there's some satisfaction in that.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Pick a new phone number. Google the number beforehand so you can avoid picking one which has a bad history (or any public commentary at all, really). And never make it visible anywhere online, not in user profiles, not in social media - the moment it becomes public domain it'll hang around the search engines forever and be free game for anyone to target indefinitely. 

Avoid submitting your phone number to legit businesses (like Walmart, London Drugs, etc). They can probably be "trusted" to protect your privacy (by promising to not share or sell your information). But they can't necessarily be "trusted" to keep your information properly secured (you have no control over what they do with it or who they hire to access it, and there's always news stories about consumer privacy leaks when large corporate/government databases get hacked or compromised).

The more visible your number becomes, the more scammers it will attract. And they apparently branch out or share lists of "live" numbers with each other... so if you respond in any way to one scammer (replying "unsubscribe" or even just answering your phone) then you can find yourself targeted by many more scammers. I don't ever answer private, blocked, or unknown calls - or calls from numbers with commercial area codes (1-800, 1-900, etc) - if it's important then they'll leave me a message and a way to call them back.

Register your new number on the Canadian Do Not Call List. It's government regulated, trespassers can face hefty fines. 

Also signup on the USA Do Not Call Registry. Because a lot of telemarketer/survey stuff is USA-based businesses or outsourced for USA-based businesses.

These DNCLs only prevent legit solicitors from calling your number - there's always some who don't comply, there's always some who consistently get away with plausible "errors" which skirt the law, and there's always scammers/criminals who ignore laws anyhow - but less incoming garbage is still less incoming garbage. 

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en

https://www.donotcall.gov/

It turns out that there's an outsourced call center near where I live which happens to have special privileges in and around my entire city because it (along with much of the city) is located on First Nations (reservation) land. I politely requested they take my number off their list and don't call it again, so far they've politely complied. This First Nations exception seems like a useful loophole for this sort of business so there's probably more like it all across Canada.

The only other thing you can do is Block/Ignore incoming numbers. And report these scams (to your carrier, the DNCL, the legit businesses/banks they impersonate, consumer scam-tracking sites/groups, etc) as you see them. Never 100% effective because they have access to a lot more phone number dodges than you do, but at least you can kill the cancer before it spreads. 

Lucky Mobile advertises that they support UNCB (a tech feature which helps kill phone scams/fraud). I assume it's built into the Bell network (Bell, Virgin, Lucky), I suspect it's also built into the Telus side of the network (Telus, Koodo, Public), I've seen it mentioned in the marketing literature of some USA carriers. You can ask PM directly if they offer UNCB or something equivalent. 

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/phone/universal-network-level-call-blocking

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/privacy-policy

https://www.telus.com/en/about/privacy?INTCMP=VAN_privacy

And, as usual, if you think your security might be compromised then run malware-scans on your phones/computers/devices and login from a clean/secure machine to change all your account PINs/passwords on everything from your email to your voicemail to your accounts/subscriptions to your banking/financial stuff.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dabr wrote:

One time a scammer called me from MY number! Grrrrr!

Oh yes spoofing a number happens all the time!  Have had it happen to me as well on more than one occasion.

@dabr for a while, I kept getting calls from numbers in my area code and exchange but with a different last 4 digits.  Buggers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just block their number. On iphone just go into recents then click the i in the circle to the right scroll to the bottom and click block caller and your done.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@tigranh wrote:

only choices are to change phone number or block the number after they call

@88cranstonwrote  One time a scammer called me from MY number! Grrrrr!

Oh yes spoofing a number happens all the time!  Have had it happen to me as well on more than one occasion.

88cranston

@AmethystWolfie wrote:

Depending on what phone you have, there may be something in the settings where you can silence calls from unknown numbers and they get sent directly to voicemail.

But regardless of which phone you have, you should be able to select the number that called and add it to your blocked contacts list.

Hope that helps!

Keep in mind that can be a bit rash to do. As unknown callers is based on a number not in your contacts list. So if someone obtained your number to call you for a family emergency.....you have blocked the caller. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Mark the phone calls as spam in the dialer app if such feature exists.  I use the google dialer that is supposed to have filtering capability.  Because the numbers used change so much, it is a losing battle.  Grow thicker skin, that is the only permanent solution.

AmethystWolfie

Hope that helps!

88cranston

@88cranston wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@tigranh wrote:

Honestly no suspicious how. any trusted program for IOs?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't have any useful information on iphone settings, although I don't see why there wouldn't be an option to block these callers. 

On my android phone, you simply bring up the caller and select the 3 dot menu and there is an option to block the caller.  Do you have anything similar on your phone?

So on an iPhone. Not sure if you can PREVENT a scam call. And the DNC registry has its flaws.....like why would CRA or MICROSOFT INDIA respect it? 

So. 

1. Make sure you have contacts on your phone 

2. Any call that shows a number only, be suspicious 

3. Any call with an unrecognized name also be suspicious, especially if not in your contacts. 

4. Accept or decline the call

5. Either block the caller from future calls or ad the number to your contacts list. 

6. And, if you want, also google the number on 800 Notes....great info there. 

See here, various blocking types on Apple products.

7.  Also add pics of who is callling you most frequently into your contacts. That pic will show when your phone rings. 

You CAN trust the iOS blocking feature. It is NOT an add-on APP. 

Build up your blocking list. For my home phone we have hundreds of numbers blocked. Some numbers are, although legitimate, as scammers also spufi legitimate numbers. One time a scammer called me from MY number! Grrrrr!

@breanna1928 wrote:

Unfourtunatly, if they are really bad and bothersome, you'll have to change your number to stop it. Your number has already been passed around, its either ignore them or change your number 😞

Changing numbers doesn't stop these kinds of callers, although it might be useful if the number was previously owned by someone who was having collections agencies going after them, then changing numbers would help. 

These callers are on auto-dial programs, so eventually all numbers will get called by them.  All you can do is try to manage/block/ignore stratagy as much as possible.

88cranston

@dabr wrote:

@tigranh wrote:

Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't have any useful information on iphone settings, although I don't see why there wouldn't be an option to block these callers. 

On my android phone, you simply bring up the caller and select the 3 dot menu and there is an option to block the caller.  Do you have anything similar on your phone?

So on an iPhone. Not sure if you can PREVENT a scam call. And the DNC registry has its flaws.....like why would CRA or MICROSOFT INDIA respect it? 

So. 

1. Make sure you have contacts on your phone 

2. Any call that shows a number only, be suspicious 

3. Any call with an unrecognized name also be suspicious, especially if not in your contacts. 

4. Accept or decline the call

5. Either block the caller from future calls or ad the number to your contacts list. 

6. And, if you want, also google the number on 800 Notes....great info there. 

See here, various blocking types on Apple products.

breanna1928

Unfourtunatly, if they are really bad and bothersome, you'll have to change your number to stop it. Your number has already been passed around, its either ignore them or change your number 😞

DL888

With the technology available to these scammers, I am thinking that the only way to prevent this is to not own a phone. 

@tigranh wrote:

Thanks

tigranh

Thanks

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@tigranh wrote:

There's no way to stop these callers, but you can ignore them as much as possible.  But, if your phone settings allow, block these callers, that way they can still call but you won't hear then calling and you will not need to respond. 

You will find eventually there will be fewer calls but you will still receive them from time to time.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I would change the phone number if it's that bad, unless you are very attached to it.

If you want tu keep your number, there are apps that cloud help

Any suspicions how it started.

Need Help? Let's chat.