cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoided text outgoing on ttc ?

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yesterday I went to downtown,I didn’t sent any message out,but from my account I saw  there was counted 6 message .i think connect WiFi on younge/bloor subway maybe cause text out.anyone knows how to avoid text outgoing from ttc WiFi?

10 REPLIES 10

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Apple and their OVERprotection. 🙂

@TMS wrote:

My iPhone sends these 6 SMS after I “Erase All Content and Settings” 

Each time you do this, the phone needs to resync to the network and another batch of text messages go out.  I wonder how this sync feature works on WiFi tablet.  Is it really a necessary thing?  I am a iOS noob, none of this makes sense to me.  But then again, android dialer does it also. 

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My iPhone sends these 6 SMS after I “Erase All Content and Settings” 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This issue has been reported by a number of customers.  This is a iOS issue and nothing to do with this service.  These messages are used for account set up, but can be blocked which I assume would affect the account set up.  Connecting to the TTC sponsored WiFi is immaterial to the text messages. 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

I used iPhone 6s,I think I did SMS as white.do I need change iMessage to the white?i didn’t sent any message out on the ttc,the outgoing message shows #474663.

Ah, messages to 474663 are basically the iPhone contacting the iMessage/Cloud/FaceTime servers (it's generally a rare/one-time event, and not ongoing).  You'd have to disable iMessage and FaceTime to avoid those, but based on your usage, you don't want to disable them.  Also, don't toggle those on and off regularly, as you'll generate more of the 474663 SMS.

If you leave your SIM card inserted, and don't toggle iMessage/FaceTime, you shouldn't see SMS to 474663 any further.  Exceptions to this might be from prolonged periods where the phone is turned off, or the SIM is removed to test in another phone, etc.

a

Jackhyf63

6EBAEDBF-CDFA-4C26-99E8-0F679E58C4CD.png

I used iPhone 6s,I think I did SMS as white.do I need change iMessage to the white?i didn’t sent any message out on the ttc,the outgoing message shows #474663.

CalgaryBen

@Jackhyf63 wrote:

Thanks for quick reply,but I am wondering why I use WiFi from home or the mall,I turn on WiFi,they don’t count outgoing text,why they count outgoing text on ttc WiFi?

What type of phone are you using?

Are you saying that you normally message using WiFi, but while using the TTC WiFi, it was converted to SMS and sent that way, thereby consuming your texts? I don't know how the TTC WiFi works... do you need to authenticate on it? Perhaps you were connected to it, but there was limited/no internet access (upstream problem)?  Seeing the WiFi connected symbol on the phone doesn't imply that you have an internet connection...

If this is an iPhone, and you were expecting it to be sent via iMessage (but it ended up being delivered as SMS), then you can disable this via Settings --> Messages --> Send as SMS (slide to left to disable; background turns from green to white). When this is enabled, it allows the iPhone to "Send as SMS when imessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply."

Jackhyf63

Thanks for quick reply,but I am wondering why I use WiFi from home or the mall,I turn on WiFi,they don’t count outgoing text,why they count outgoing text on ttc WiFi?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

If it's within your budget....look for a plan with unlimited international texting.

Carld123

@Jackhyf63

Quickest fix...turn off wifi...

Need Help? Let's chat.