cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How safe is a Public Mobile user from a SIM swap attack?

mwandel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It seems the Ontario Police have figured out there's such a thing as a SIM swap attack, which actually reminds me to ask:

Assuming one wanted to steal a Public Mobile user's text messages by either of these means:

1. I need to switch to a different SIM card

2. I wish to transfer my phone number to another provider

And assuming that PM user managed to keep their passwords (main account and forum) as well as their 4-digit PIN private.  Is that user then protected?  I.e. the above simply can't be completed without this information?

Markus

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite wrote:

Old topic but still of interest I think. Just found this help article on the topic: 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

I think Alan_K just recently updated or added that. He linked to it in an earlier reply today.

Old topic but still of interest I think. Just found this help article on the topic: 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

If you search back through community posts you will see the cases where ex suppose took hold of an account, or when guy calls his number and somebody answers. If you share info you may end up victim, if somebody steals or guesses your Google password, boy will you be victim. I guess if you don't store it you have better chances of dodging it. And don't run to log into every link you receive, don't even press it. If you are concerned, open the browser and search for the website. I heard using free WiFi increases your chances too.

@mwandel  However with public mobiles glitches causing the forgot password email too often expire before it reaches you and usually requiring a moderators intervention having to know several different pieces of information from the account it is safer than most service providers.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

mwandell  As I have mentioned in other posts most simmjackings occur because one's email account gets compromised. 

Once an email gets compromised then there is a chance to get your PM  account info, number and name.

Once that info is known porting out is not a problem your selfserve password and/or PIN number does not come into play.

@mwandelI would say Public Mobile is as safe as other Canadian providers (since every providers use the same procedures for porting). You can always do things to mitigate the threats though. I think for the vast majority of people the risk is overblown. Make sure you don't leak / flaunt things that other people would want to go to lengths to steal from you. SIM jacking is rarely random, people need to snoop / case you to get the information.

I listed some suggestions here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Sim-swapping-threat-mitigation/m-p/44...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Actually I would say that depending on how you set up your account, Public Mobile could offer better protection than with the other post paid carrier brands.  In a post paid account, you cannot use "fake" names and addresses.  This make the account vulnerable to the SIM jacking.  If someone has your particulars, they can call the carrier and pretent to be you.  In a Public Mobile account, you can enter whatever you want for the customer information.  Say your a Santa Claus reindeer and use the local gas bar address.  That will be what is used in the porting screen, fake or otherwise. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I don't think there is a difference which provider's sim your using, but you're best to get your answer from PM directly. All you can do is protect your personal information, user, pass, pin, security question.

To contact a PM moderator:
Explain your issue to SIMON, seen below:

simon.PNG

Use as few words as possible to allow the BOT to understand. Answer his questions until you get here:submit_ticket.PNG

Click on "Submit a ticket" and the Moderator team will respond to your concern, usually within 48 hours.

Alternatively, you may send a private message to moderator through the following link :
Contact @Moderator_Team

About @Moderator_Team
Moderator Hours
Monday-Friday: 8AM- 12AM EST
Saturday & Sunday: 8AM-10PM EST

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mwandel  Your assumption one would assume is correct however a customer posted This week about their phone number being fraudulently ported out. So now I wouldn't be so sure...but with your pin # and your account # indeed only known to you then you should in theory be correct. Type in the search bar...Ive been scammed to read the posted thread on that topic.

Edit: I got scammed by @elnino82 

Need Help? Let's chat.