cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much data do you use?

Shannonbyt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Super curious about other people's lifestyles. How much data do you use? Do you think it is worth the money for more data? I currently changed to 1GB of data a month (was at 4GB). This was a challenge to myself for financial reasons as every little bit counts!

28 REPLIES 28

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wow!!

This is why the lower mainland is referred to as “Lotus Land”

@Shannonbyt  That's an awesome urban sunset shot right smack in the middle of downtown. Granville and Georgia. We do love this city! In order to afford the high cost of housing we need to save on our phone bills and we can thank public mobile for that.

Shannonbyt

@darlicious @88cranston Beautiful views everywhere! I work a lot in Vancouver and get to use the Shawgo wifi all around! It helps a ton with reducing data consumption.

71804166_10220534244612049_716761902046248960_o.jpg

@88cranston  Ok let's see....bears no...Rocky the raccoon...yes she has her babies here every year. Bitey the coyote...yes but she/he?  Only hung out for a few days until tranquilized and relocated. Bitey was on the news you may remember from earlier this year. Skunks every night...my friends dog GOT it in the face two weeks ago and my house still has a faint odour. Of course squirrels and lots of of different birds. Not many rats or mice our new little killers have taken that job over nicely since we lost Max and Spook.20190822_183002.jpg20190724_204749.jpg20191013_180725.jpg20190310_181507.jpg20190711_181931.jpg

88cranston

Very nice. Have any of these?

6CCEA14D-ADFD-4D7D-9886-D0D88B610920.jpeg3A177AB1-E472-490F-B5D5-788EEEA4D7B4.jpeg

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranstonNow that is a beauty of a pic....

I do love nature...but I am lucky enough to get this ever changing view every night.20190929_190601.jpg

20190717_202632.jpg

20191007_183255.jpg

20190820_195755.jpg

@88cranstonNow that is a beauty of a pic....

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston  Your text messaging issue is good one to ask the community. Another topic started! I'm sure @GinYVR  or @CalgaryBen could answer that for you.

I have posted....but no solution. 

I could turn the WiFi off but then I would have to remember to turn it back on when I arrive at work or home. I wouldn't want to be using mobile data when I could be on wifi.

Turn off BOTH. Turn on accordingly. 

I find the WiFi "searching doesn't cause much of a battery drain unless I'm camping and there's no hope of WiFi and I've learned to turn it off in those situations.

OK if you have to leave something on is no cost to leave WiFi on. 

Do you have an app for the telus hotspots or a particular site? I've never seen a telus sign?

Lots of offices will have a tent desk sign or decal on door. But why not look at what  WiFi is available, then pick and use it.....no App or Sign necessary 🤔

See App in pic.....do I have it installed or would I use it...NO. Because it will show on the list as unlocked. 

3529E8D5-6BCD-4061-9470-B59BEF658DF4.jpeg

Ahh the valley is so much more relaxing. 😆 Fraser River in Chilliwack today

DFB74D1B-C536-410B-B82C-9793CD1579F3.jpeg

@88cranston  Your text messaging issue is good one to ask the community. Another topic started! I'm sure @GinYVR  or @CalgaryBen could answer that for you.

I could turn the WiFi off but then I would have to remember to turn it back on when I arrive at work or home. I wouldn't want to be using mobile data when I could be on wifi. My boyfriend did that once when he was still with fido. And none of WCC mandated overage requirements went into effect. No text msg warning at 90% or 95%. No offer to purchase more data. No warning when the $50 cap was reached and it was not shut off at $50. The bill was over $400. I had the overage reversed down to $50. But only recently as I went over each bill before preparing to pay off his device subsidy did I realize there are several months of overages reduced down to $50 after complaining that a data add on that had carried over from the month before because he forgot to cancel was not included in the cap. I have to prepare myself for a whole new arguement before paying it off.

I find the WiFi "searching doesn't cause much of a battery drain unless I'm camping and there's no hope of WiFi and I've learned to turn it off in those situations.

Do you have an app for the telus hotspots or a particular site? I've never seen a telus sign?

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston wrote:

@Shannonbyt wrote:

Super curious about other people's lifestyles. How much data do you use? Do you think it is worth the money for more data? I currently changed to 1GB of data a month (was at 4GB). This was a challenge to myself for financial reasons as every little bit counts!

I have never had data. I have had a phone for 20 years. But just recently I am in the PM $15 program with 250mb. Last month I used 10mb and it looks like this month might be 20. My data is OFF all the time. But when it is ON I set my iPhone to allow usage for email and Safari and I assume because there is no switch for iMessage that it is on permanently and works once you turn on the cellular switch. Use of data can be minimized by using free wifi and Shaw Connect (if you have Shaw home internet). My wife’s phone has Shaw Connect free because it is second hand and the previous owner forgot to turn it off. 

@88cranston  You only have to have data enabled for your Imessage and MMS to work even if there is no data in your plan (Like those on the grandfathered $10 plan.)

The following words/acronyms confuse me...texting, mms, sms and iMessage. Texting on an android was easy but have been on Apple for years.  We had a family  no text policy as our Telus plan cost 50 cents per text. Our whole immediate family all have Apple products. So we iMessage using email addresses over wifi. So now with free texting I text on my iPhone to another Apple product using a phone number. It goes out and I never get an answer to my phone but get an answer to my iPad.  That’s no help when I am out and iPad is at home. &*$$***&!! And it bothers me because I cannot get a handle on it. And I don’t think we have a pro in the family to refer too!

Like my roommate he rarely uses his on the $15 plan using the WiFi at home and barely that. But it does come in handy for email, Google maps and for him to check the tide charts.

Makes sense. 

I have a little hate on for Shaw Connect as it's notifications constantly goes off or it's log in page popping up when I go to use my mobile data. I have yet to figure out how to turn it off as I tried in my settings by getting rid off it unless of course that I'm signed into my neighbour's Shaw WiFi that it is giving me access?

Usually my wife’s phone dings when we hit a Shaw Connect Hot Spot from an incoming iMessage or email. Turn your Wi-Fi  OFF....it reduces battery consumption too. Always searching for WiFi is costing you battery time. Your neighbours Wi-Fi  access is because you have their “in house” routers’ password on your device. Much different than Shaw Connect. Shaw Connect is done through a Shaw customers account using a your MAC number. Pretty much permanent as unlikely to review those MAC numbers. 

That thought literally just occurred to me! I did discover telus has free hotspots but I don't get notified of them although there is a map online so I should test it out one day.

I usually go by posted signs or on my device to see Telus hotspots. 

I had free Netflix for the longest time until I changed the WiFi password and lost it. I hadn't put two and two together until it was too late. I guess a former roommate had left it on in the system and my diligence came back to bite me in the a$$!

WiFi password has nothing to do with Netflix. The owner of the Netflix account owner can FORCE log off all sign ins. If you have a Netflix and you can view 2 screens.....you can have 20 devices logged on......but only 2 of them will work. You would lose access if the person changed password, cancelled account or did a mass log off. 

I

@88cranston wrote:

@Shannonbyt wrote:

I have never had data. I have had a phone for 20 years. But just recently I am in the PM $15 program with 250mb. Last month I used 10mb and it looks like this month might be 20. My data is OFF all the time. But when it is ON I set my iPhone to allow usage for email and Safari and I assume because there is no switch for iMessage that it is on permanently and works once you turn on the cellular switch. Use of data can be minimized by using free wifi and Shaw Connect (if you have Shaw home internet). My wife’s phone has Shaw Connect free because it is second hand and the previous owner forgot to turn it off. 

@88cranston  You only have to have data enabled for your Imessage and MMS to work even if there is no data in your plan (Like those on the grandfathered $10 plan.) Like my roommate he rarely uses his on the $15 plan using the WiFi at home and barely that. But it does come in handy for email, Google maps and for him to check the tide charts. I have a little hate on for Shaw Connect as it's notifications constantly goes off or it's log in page popping up when I go to use my mobile data. I have yet to figure out how to turn it off as I tried in my settings by getting rid off it unless of course that I'm signed into my neighbour's Shaw WiFi that it is giving me access? That thought literally just occurred to me! I did discover telus has free hotspots but I don't get notified of them although there is a map online so I should test it out one day. I had free Netflix for the longest time until I changed the WiFi password and lost it. I hadn't put two and two together until it was too late. I guess a former roommate had left it on in the system and my diligence came back to bite me in the a$$!

88cranston

@Shannonbyt wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  The way i remember reading the conditions of the promo was that once you changed your plan you would lose any benefits associated with it. That seemed to imply the $10 discount and the data bonus. Of course i certainly hope im wrong and will seek clarification from a moderator to confirm. If i get to keep the data then downgrading to the $25 will be a very easy decision and i could possibly go down to the $15  if i really wanted to save some money.

I would be interested in what they have to say.  Keep me informed. 

@will13am  The official word on the RBCREWARDS promo that ended Sept 30th is that if you change your plan at any time you will lose any bonuses associated with the promotion that includes the $10 discount and the bonus data add ons either before or after the six months.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I guess if you're on a fairly tight budget, you're right that every dollar counts.  If you look at the big picture, the cost of 12 months of $40/month is $480, while the cost of 12 months at $25/month is $300, meaning you'll save $180 a year by downsizing.  This is not a small amount of money if you're tight on funds.  If you were to deposit all of these savings into a high-yield low-risk investment of some kind and let it compound for many years, I'm sure it would make a pretty big difference over time.  That said, there *can* be a falacy of savings where you end up just squandering it on other things anyway and it never really amounts to much. 

I would say that if you are not tight on budget and already have some money being tucked away toward your contingencies and future needs, then "splurging" $180/year (+tax, and yes I know it's actually $182.50/year + tax due to the 30 day cycles!) for that extra if it can make your idle times (on transit, etc.) a bit more pleasant and/or productive, really isn't a big deal.  

That said, everyone has their own situations, priorities, needs, and budgets.  This is just the way I look at it.  I'm not a heavy mobile data user but I don't ever want to have the urge to look something up or whatever and have to second guess myself, so I am on a plan that gives me enough for some discretionary data without breaking the bank. You have to find the right happy medium for your needs.  To balance things out, I use some services that let me download over Wi-Fi for playback later while I'm out and about (like on the bus or train for example).  I pay $11.99/month for YouTube premium as it lets me download as many YouTube videos and YouTube Music songs as I can fit on my phone and use zero mobile data for playback.  To my way of thinking, this is a better spend then trying to buy enough mobile data.  I'm sure I break even and then some.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Shannonbyt

@krzcnck wrote:

i was on the $50 8.5 gb plan with unlimited Canada US calling unlimited international texting, i would use the data everywhere and would hit 8 gb a month.  In the summer, i decided i was going to limit my data so i went with the $15 plan with 250 mb of data a month, whoa it was a culture shock, i downloaded my music so i could listen to it on my walks, and then i decided to try an 1gb add on than a couple days later we got the extra 1gb bonus.  

TLDR; it was hard to go from 8.5 gb to 250 mb of data but if you are dedicated you can do it!!!

@krzcnck wow! Good for you for taking the challenge to changing part of your lifestyle. It's mind boggling how we have been semi conditioned to feel like we NEED data. In reality, it truly is just a want. Love that you took the time to challenge yourself! 

Kim1971kim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Last month I used 4gb because I use my phone for work 

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@krzcnck wrote:

i was on the $50 8.5 gb plan with unlimited Canada US calling unlimited international texting, i would use the data everywhere and would hit 8 gb a month.  In the summer, i decided i was going to limit my data so i went with the $15 plan with 250 mb of data a month, whoa it was a culture shock, i downloaded my music so i could listen to it on my walks, and then i decided to try an 1gb add on than a couple days later we got the extra 1gb bonus.  

TLDR; it was hard to go from 8.5 gb to 250 mb of data but if you are dedicated you can do it!!!

You shouldn't leave data on all the time especially when it's so little. Good on you for making the switch to what you really need.

krzcnck
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  The way i remember reading the conditions of the promo was that once you changed your plan you would lose any benefits associated with it. That seemed to imply the $10 discount and the data bonus. Of course i certainly hope im wrong and will seek clarification from a moderator to confirm. If i get to keep the data then downgrading to the $25 will be a very easy decision and i could possibly go down to the $15  if i really wanted to save some money.

@will13am  Will do....i signed up a few friends up on it as well so I'm sure 5hey would like clarification as well.

@darlicious wrote:

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I only have 1GB of data and use it conservatively so it lasts a month.  Most public places like libraries, coffee shops, shopping malls offer free wi-fi so only need to use data when wi-fi is not available.  Checking emails and reading articles uses minimal data.

@darlicious wrote:

@Shannonbyt wrote:

Oh, I know! It is completely doable as I have made the change. Just no more surfing meaningless social media while on transit. Small steps to save some money. 

@Shannonbyt  I will be wresting with the decision to downgrade to the $25 plan from the $40 in a few months once my promo finishes. Downgrading means losing my 5gb data bonus ( technically a $150 value) but staying at $40 means I will never use it. This month I tried to splurge and I still only used 2.5 gb. With my datavsaver enabled and most background data turned off and using a music app rather than YouTube when I'm out and about will definetly keep me within one gb

@darlicious, I can't say I recall all the terms with the RBC promo, I thought the 5GB bonus was awarded as a signing bonus without additional conditions.  From what you are saying, the data bonus is conditional on staying with the plan.

Note to Public Mobile, @Alan_K , see what I mean about lost opportunities with not having a mid range data plan at 2-3GB.  The hopes of "forcing" an additional $15 more from the wallets of $25/1GB customers is somewhat illusory.  There is a better chance of getting maybe $5 more for some additional data.  Everyone comes here to save money, not to spend it. 

@Shannonbyt wrote:

Oh, I know! It is completely doable as I have made the change. Just no more surfing meaningless social media while on transit. Small steps to save some money. 

@Shannonbyt  I will be wresting with the decision to downgrade to the $25 plan from the $40 in a few months once my promo finishes. Downgrading means losing my 5gb data bonus ( technically a $150 value) but staying at $40 means I will never use it. This month I tried to splurge and I still only used 2.5 gb. With my datavsaver enabled and most background data turned off and using a music app rather than YouTube when I'm out and about will definetly keep me within one gb

Shannonbyt

@Ed404 wrote:

I don't have data and if I did, I'd only use it when I need to because you'll need a lot more than 4GB of data to stream Netflix or video chat.

You can still do it but it won't last. The data bucket sizes aren't usually good in Canada.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't have data and if I did, I'd only use it when I need to because you'll need a lot more than 4GB of data to stream Netflix or video chat.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Shannonbyt only you know how much data to get. 1GB isn't much but if you can keep from running out, you'll save money.

Need Help? Let's chat.