cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much data do you use?

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I barely use 1.5 GB data every month because of wifi at work and home. So i am curious to know how much data people actually need that make plans like 10gb for $60 so lucrative!

10 REPLIES 10

JackFrost1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

About 1gb every month

fanfan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I use about 500 mb a month.  I am a full time worker with wi-fi at work, wi-fi at home, Shaw wi-fi in most areas that I go out to, wi-fi in the malls and restaurants.  And most of my data usage is from using whatsapp or reading msn.ca. 

I fill up about a TeraByte every month on my computers, lol.

But not on my phone, never on my phone!  The only mobile data I ever use involves looking up people, websites, maps, and directions I need when I'm mobile, lol.  Or phone software updates which simply won't download and install any other way.  1GB per 90 days is plenty for me, most times I don't even hit the halfway point.

Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I've had the $50 for 6GBs of data for several months now, but started with the 4GBs data plan. I use most all of my data, but that's honestly because I refuse to have cable/internet/home phone service in my home. I don't stream, I don't check Facebook often, but I do do a lot of enterprising and networking for work and volunteer positions I'm involved with, as well as school. And I'm definitely guilty for using Snapchat, haha. I have WiFi at work, which helps me out, but I also don't spend a lot of time on my phone whilst at work, therefore it doesn't really make -much- of a difference. Back when I had WiFi in my personal space, I would rarely even go over 1GB of data. Definitely a different story now that I've taken all of those extras out of my home.

I'm usually between 1 and 2 GB per month, unless I tether for work purposes. My employer pays for my phone bill, so those months are sometimes as high as 7-10 GB.

I rarely use over 1.75 GB/30 days on my 12 GB/90.  This cycle, because I binged for 100 minutes to watch FHD live curling at a poor WiFi location, I'm 17 days away from renewal with just over 6GB used.

I typically stream music on 'normal' or regular quality, or download it to my device when walking to and from work.  Lately, as I'm using a new to me phone, I'm actually listing to the built in FM Radio, and not using data.

I left Rogers and WIND, having 2 GB / month, and back then, it was just under a GB/month I was using.  Now that I'm on 4GB/30, I'm still mostly fruggle as I use WiFi at home, and where ever I can find it, but at work, if I'm looking on my phone, it's celluar data.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

For me, it really depends.  When I'm at home, at my better half's place, at my mother's place, or at the office, I have access to WiFi.  Some times (like this past month or so), I can do a lot of working from home, and I really don't go through mobile very fast.  But when I do have to go to the office, I'm in transit for about 1 to just over 1 hour each way (excluding the driving part where I don't really use any data), and I tend to do a ton of IM, Tweeting, catching up on RSS feeds, browsing, etc.  And sometimes I go to client sites and try to stick to my mobile data while there and do all my personal stuff on my phone, just in case they monitor their WiFi usage.  Very occasionally, I'll find myself somewhere where I need to tether my laptop for short periods of time for work.

TL;DR:  my usage varies a lot from cycle to cycle, but I have never been close to using my full 12GB/90.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I'm similar

Usually less than 2GB per month and that includes music

Give the phone to the kids and saw they burnt 12GB in about 6 weeks on YouTube (crazy)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Civic_Ewrote:

I barely use 1.5 GB data every month because of wifi at work and home. So i am curious to know how much data people actually need that make plans like 10gb for $60 so lucrative!

Streaming video and audio is the big drain on data.  When I was with Wind, I did music streaming in the summer.  A long day out on the bike could easily consume the better part of a gig of data.  One day of this every weekend and my 5 gigs was pretty much used up.  Luckily, Wind's network performance was so awful, I wasn't able to use data for anything else.

Fast forward to today, I don't stream music because I actually use data for other things.  I find myself sitting around the 2ish gig mark on average.  On exceptional times where I bring my laptop with me, then all bets are off.  Tethering is a huge data hog.  The full web sites, errant windows updates can consume a month usage in a couple of sessions.  I do have tablet plans that are used for tethering so that I don't run into usage issues on my phone.

Long story short, do I need 10 gigs, NO.

Crenor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Give your phone to a kid and they can distroy a data plan very quickly.

If you have a high end phone, go onto youtube, and that is about it. 1gb/hour or more is very possible.

Heck, I can do +1gb/month with just going to Reddit on my breaks at work.

Need Help? Let's chat.