Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is this different than koodo?

FrankTheTank
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Since telus owns koodo, and PM

rogers owns rogers, fido, mobilicity, chatr, cityphone, inukshuk wireless

Is the cost structure intended to be a lot different than koodo?  Is it on the AWS band that mobilicity/PM/wind were all a part of to protect competition from the big 3?

I'm confused.  Too many 'subsidiaries'

2 REPLIES 2

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

It's better to think of Public Mobile as an independent company running on the Telus backbone. So if it succeeds it continues, if it fails it's dumped.

For now pricing, from my perspective, is better than Koodo, but the plan you want may better on Virgin. Only you can figure that out. You should also be aware that 1st level tech support is provided by this Community and there is no phone support available. Finally, as PM is in beta mode it will take 8-12 weeks to join.

As far as phones go, they need to be locked to Koodo/Telus or unlocked. If you go unlocked the network requirements per @Cyber and @Martin are:

Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile frequency are :

3G UMTS/HSDPA = (850MHz / 1900MHz) aka Bands 5/2

4G LTE Band 4 = (2100MHz / 1700MHz) aka paired together Band 4

4G LTE-Advanced = 700MHz (LTE-A not yet launched by Telus/Bell) aka Band 17

How else can the Community help?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Rick
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public mobile uses the same network as Koodo or Telus but their value proposition is very different. Since public mobile only sells service (no phones) and only operates online (no stores) and only offer prepaid (no postpaid). Public mobile is geared toward those of us not looking for a phone, contract or expensive monthly plans that are difficult to control. Each provider has its own advantages and disadvantages, but for me I would say public mobile offers the best value overall expecially for the plan that I am on (untd talk, text and 1 gb data). Although if you like in Manitoba you really can't beat Koodo's deal over there.

Need Help? Let's chat.