cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is data used?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

I just noticed that my new plan ($15) shows 5mb of data used within one even though I'm only using wifi.  I was seeing similar depletion (although much smaller kb) on my add on data purchase prior to this.  At this rate I could deplete 150 mb of data within a 30 day period.

As far as I know all my apps are set to access wifi first.  Does this mean I should have data off and only turn it on when out of wifi range?

Update:  It looks like @Anonymous  was correct when he suggested that data might get reset overnight and that certainly seems to be the case as my data is now showing a nominal usage instead of my earlier posted usage. 

10 REPLIES 10

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

I just noticed that my new plan ($15) shows 5mb of data used within one even though I'm only using wifi.  I was seeing similar depletion (although much smaller kb) on my add on data purchase prior to this.  At this rate I could deplete 150 mb of data within a 30 day period.

As far as I know all my apps are set to access wifi first.  Does this mean I should have data off and only turn it on when out of wifi range?

250MB can be used very easily and by accident.  It is so little you might want to leave it off until you want to use it.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Upon turning on data on the phone with data in a plan or add-on...it takes a little buffer of data. I bet the number you're seeing is 5.293MB (or thereabouts 🙂 ). Upon flipping in and out of airplane mode it flushes the buffer and sets your real consumption. I haven't yet figured out the time frame for it to flush on its own. Probably over night or something.

You're right it is showing 5.4 mb used, but my data has been on for the last couple of months and was only registering small kb usage (although I mainly use wifi), so the big increase since the plan change a couple of days ago is worrisome, especially I'm thinking for people who only have a small allotment for the month.  However, I will turn it off when I'm using wifi as suggested by @duffer900 ..  Hoping you're right about it being reset overnight though..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr wrote:

Upon turning on data on the phone with data in a plan or add-on...it takes a little buffer of data. I bet the number you're seeing is 5.293MB (or thereabouts 🙂 ). Upon flipping in and out of airplane mode it flushes the buffer and sets your real consumption. I haven't yet figured out the time frame for it to flush on its own. Probably over night or something.

spointer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

wow! that puts me to rest! thank you!!

jotsang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You cannot go over as this is a pre-paid service. Once you used up all your allocation, data stops working.

spointer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i dont know the answer but i am concerned with how to manage data. I have always had a work phone with unlimited data. now that my kids are getting phones i need to understand how to manage data. i just moved my son to public mobile with some data and am worried. if he goes over will i be informed or will i just get charged overage? 

@Anonymous  so nothing has changed on my phone since the new plan went into effect...was just curious why the usage increased from kb to mb since the change.

@duffer900  Thanks...I think I probably will turn my data off from now onwards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dabr  You indicated that 'as far as I know...'  Any chance there is something else that is running that uses bandwidth.  Could be an automatic saving of photos to the cloud, or something like that.

Are you on Android or IOS?  Each has its particular settings.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

My wifi can briefly bounce in and out on my phones. This can give a blip of data used depending on what I am doing. You may want to turn data of while on wifi. Just to be safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.