cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How is coverage in York Region Area and the GTA

I don't use my phone much or consistently.  If their network is not strong or stable I would not know.  It would be horrible if I cannot make a phone call out when I make a call for the first time ever, if ever.  Similarly, it would not be funny, if people cannot get in touch with me when they call.  No one really calls me either because they know I don't like talking on the phone.  I am trying public mobile because it's cheaper and offers a little more.

Does anyone know if their network is strong and stable in the York Region and Greater Toronto Area.  I don't want to have text message not going through and not being able to make or receive calls.

I know that their website and promotion say I should be able to receive calls anywhere in Canada. I was attracted to the unlimited incoming anywhere in Canada but are they able to deliver the services they are promoting?

I tend to miss calls and am not one to sit around all day waiting for someone to call me.

I am still waiting for my existing number to be transferred to this provider.  I think there may be a hold up because I already prepaid for the entire month with my current/soon to be former provider.  I have lots of left over minutes I haven't used.  I was saving them because you never know how long you might have to wait listening to wait time music sometimes.

Sorry about the ramble.  Does anyone know if coverage is good in the York Region and Greater Toronto Area?  How well is coverage in Ontario.

It's hard to browse the forum on my cell phone.  Is there a thread somewhere with a map showing good coverage and bad coverage area in Canada?

If their coverage is not good then this was all for nothing.

Mayor / Maire

Re: How is coverage in York Region Area and the GTA

@Itsmynumber 

Bottom of this page for a link to the Coverage Maps.

Public Mobile is owned by Telus and run on Telus infrastructure. Telus and Bell have agreements to run their customers on the others' infrastructure.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As written on the coverage maps page,

Public Mobile is on Canada’s largest mobile network. That means from coast to coast you won’t be able to escape your grandmother’s calls. Or your mother’s. Or your great-uncle’s.

I'm a new customer myself, so I can't really speak to the reliability, but according to the coverage map, Southern Ontario is looking pretty solidly covered. Smiley Happy

Edit: Link to the coverage map if you want to take a look for yourself: https://www.publicmobile.ca/coverage

@Itsmynumber, no carrier can guarantee coverage everwhere, but what I can tell you that coverage is provided by Telus, with, in theory, only a slight difference in voice signal area due to the fact that Public Mobile does not support phone calls over the LTE network.  Beisdes, this isn't Freedom Mobile we're talking about. 

It's much much better than Freedom Mobile!

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Here is  an article about network sharing  with all the details:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/td-p/129092

Here's a good map of the providers.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just had a quick look at the coverage map and Ontario looks to be WELL covered. Try zooming into your specific location and see what it shows. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

I live in a pretty rural area and i have no problem whatsoever. I'd go as far as to say i didn't even notice anything about the transition from my previous phone service provider to public mobile. Im getting the same service and quality for way less.

From the looks of it, you should be fine.

Mayor / Maire

@Itsmynumber  Coverage in YR and the GTA is very good. If your previous provider was Telus, Koodo, Bell, Virgin or Lucky it would be the same coverage because they all share the same network.

If your previous provider was Rogers, Fido, Speakout or Chatr then that would be on the Rogers network.

In my experience both networks provide good coverage in this area so I dont see any issues 

My recommendation when activating would be to use a temp PM number before porting. This way you get to test drive the Network before deciding. If you are happy you can then setup the port via your account online.

Hope this helps.

I am in GTA area, and with PM for half year, I can say that the signal is good. 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Itsmynumber and welcome to PM.  Regarding the PM network in general, it is owned by one of the big 3 companies in all of Canada, Telus, so they use the Telus network/towers.  Which means their service is pretty much top notch, probably 2nd to none.  So I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. 

So far I've never had a dropped call, I pretty much get 3 bars or more in signal strength everywhere I've gone and I am all over the GTA.