cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: How do you think the future will affect us?

@sheytoon wrote:

At least it won't be like AT&T, where they relabeled LTE as 5GE.

@sheytoon if I were to guess, I'd guess that's waht @madhi19 was referring to.  AT&T are ridiculous when they pull stunts like this.  Didn't they do that with HSPA+ as well, calling it 4G?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hi there!

Happy to see that you're curious about that.

As you know, transparency is one of our favorite qualities.

As soon as we will have news about anything, you should see them online.

Have a nice day ahead!

Mayor / Maire

What? Cat LOL

Ok I give credit that Public runs a vastly different fiefdom compared to the normal carrier mandates but transparent?

Everything from how rewards are calculated to promo dates to future plans is pretty opaque imho

Most of what the regulars have hammered out is based on trial and error, and even FAQs were not being updated for months at a time (often displaying incorrect info)

Been here for a decade but never described Public as being tranparent

@Moderator_Team wrote:

Hi there!

Happy to see that you're curious about that.

As you know, transparency is one of our favorite qualities.

As soon as we will have news about anything, you should see them online.

Have a nice day ahead!

Mayor / Maire

Its not just about speed @madhi19 

You can send a TXT message on 5G

As some else mentioned above, this is not possible on 4G (which is why your phone still drops to 3G for certain tasks, like calling and texting)

5G wastes far less power since it is directional and antenna is smaller (which leaves more space in phone for other stuff)

This also causes less wireless interference between devices close together

And of course; SPEED

@madhi19 wrote:

Even 4k streaming require a very small fraction of the speed that 5G might deliver... Considering our telco divide that number (2.5 GB/s Down 1.25GB UP) by 4 and they still have the galls to call it 5G. Our big issue is they never deliver a flat rate mobile package anyway.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I hope they will go to 4g and keep the prices I love pm Smiley Happy

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kav2001c wrote:

As some else mentioned above, this is not possible on 4G (which is why your phone still drops to 3G for certain tasks, like calling and texting)

5G wastes far less power since it is directional and antenna is smaller (which leaves more space in phone for other stuff)

This also causes less wireless interference between devices close together

I think you might know this already, but you can absolutely send texts on 4G. Try it by forcing your phone to "LTE only" mode, and you'll see that SMS is not affected.

As for power consumption, it's not really true as a blanket statement. 5G is not more energy efficient. The benefits from massive MIMO and beamforming that you are mentioning are mostly present at higher frequencies. These higher frequencies can be used on 5G, but are not a requirement of 5G. In addition to that, massive MIMO and beamforming can be deployed on some existing LTE bands today as well. None of this is useful for low bands. Refarming LTE B12 for 5G n12 for example, would not have any noticeable benefits.

Mayor / Maire

@Kim1971kim wrote:

I hope they will go to 4g and keep the prices I love pm Smiley Happy

@Kim1971kim they are already on 4g.  The "3G" data plans are just 4G LTE with a throttled throughput.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@kav2001c wrote:

Its not just about speed @madhi19 

I don't have information for all carriers, but I can say with certainty that text mesaging does not cause a fallback to the HSPA+ network at Public Mobile. Text messages can and do send over LTE.  The same can't be said the same for phone calls, as you were saying.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not sure if you guys know about RCS (Rich Communication Services), but it's the next evolution of SMS. Key features are very similar to iMessager, such as the ability to see people typing, much higher character limit, send high resolution images, etc.

I suspect in another decade or two we'll have another improved messaging system offering even more things we haven't imagined yet! I can't wait for the future!