cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you think the future will affect us?

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

With 5G coming out and old 3G towers being taken out of service, I wonder will Public speeds go up to 4G? And with all of the recent 'deals' being offered by others with high amounts of 4G data options this option does not seem as good of a deal as it use to be. What do you guys think will change here or will Public mobile become less used?

38 REPLIES 38

madhi19
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Don't worry about it. The limitation of 5G are pretty brutal despite the marketing they need a lot more towers than feasible. Figure it's going to roll out for commercial use first. ISP's going from physical node to wireless that sorts of things. Instead worry about whatever standard come next. Once they have a standard that won't require a tower on every corner that when the industry will upgrade for the general customers.

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c Telus shutdown their 2G (okay maybe 2.5G?) CDMA network in May 2017; Rogers will sunset their 2G GSM at the end of next year.  Public Mobile has been on 3G (UMTS/W-CDMA) since Telus bought them and moved over their subsriber base from independent PM's legacy CDMA network.

There was a time that Bell and Telus were referring to the CDMA network as 3g. When the HSPA network launced, they insisted on calling that 4g.

The so-called 3g CDMA network was using EVDO and did allow voice and data to be used at the same time.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c Telus shutdown their 2G (okay maybe 2.5G?) CDMA network in May 2017; Rogers will sunset their 2G GSM at the end of next year.  Public Mobile has been on 3G (UMTS/W-CDMA) since Telus bought them and moved over their subsriber base from independent PM's legacy CDMA network.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kav2001c wrote:

@Mountainmaxman 

Public never used 3G towers (3G speed limits on 4G towers)

They are just now (finally) decommisioning the 2G network (and iDEN went down a couple years ago)

You really think 3G will shut down any time soon?

The prediction is 2022 but I am willing to bet it will be same as 2G shutdown (dragged on for years, not allowing new activations just waiting for clients to upgrade)

As late as 2018 you could activate a 2G phone in Canada lol

Public uses 3G / UMTS for all voice calls. 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Mountainmaxman 

Public never used 3G towers (3G speed limits on 4G towers)

They are just now (finally) decommisioning the 2G network (and iDEN went down a couple years ago)

You really think 3G will shut down any time soon?

The prediction is 2022 but I am willing to bet it will be same as 2G shutdown (dragged on for years, not allowing new activations just waiting for clients to upgrade)

As late as 2018 you could activate a 2G phone in Canada lol

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unless we start seeing truly unlimited data plans and we start using mobile data for all our online needs, 5G is meaningless.  There are people in the rural areas being served home internet on 4G/LTE. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mountainmaxman  it all depends on you needs, and price points the carrier's will offer.  What the various offers will be no one knows.  Except that pm will not get 5g. That will be Telus, and possibly Koodo.

Ias for losing 3g towers I don't know how that can happen as all voice I believe is done on 3g bands. Not LTE.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Yes I agree, PM isn't quite as good of a deal as it used to be now that the big guys have cut their prices a bit AND offered unlimited reduced speed data. Still a better deal for me by far though. PM is already using 4G/LTE but with a speed limit so I suspect that some data could already be on the 5G network but with the same speed limit.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.